Postgame: Raiders

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Postgame: Raiders

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:23 pm

I can't recall the last time I saw a Skins win that felt so much like a loss.

Don't get me wrong — we have definitely improved in some areas, and it's crucial that we closed the deal on this game. A W is a W, and all that.

Still, I can't help but feel like we actually regressed a little in terms of play from the Lions game to this one. We are missing punch on offense and fundamentals on defense.

I'm very glad the bye week is here. It's time for our coaches and players to put their heads together. Something is clearly off track, and figuring out just what it is will take some soul-searching on their part. They've just got to work through this funk until we come out on the other side looking like that late-2012 Redskin team again.

HTTR
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Re: Postgame: Raiders

Postby emoses14 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I can't recall the last time I saw a Skins win that felt so much like a loss.

Don't get me wrong — we have definitely improved in some areas, and it's crucial that we closed the deal on this game. A W is a W, and all that.

Still, I can't help but feel like we actually regressed a little in terms of play from the Lions game to this one. We are missing punch on offense and fundamentals on defense.

I'm very glad the bye week is here. It's time for our coaches and players to put their heads together. Something is clearly off track, and figuring out just what it is will take some soul-searching on their part. They've just got to work through this funk until we come out on the other side looking like that late-2012 Redskin team again.

HTTR

You mean like the 2012 team did when it came . . . out . . . of . . . the . . . 2012 . . . bye???

I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Let's hope Jenkins and Jackson are in football shape and can get up to spead over the next couple weeks. The Redskins need both of these players, NOW.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:15 pm

I agree with your assessment of feelings after the W. It sure was not pretty, and against a team starting a backup QB and RB.

I don't know that there is an easy answer to why we look so mediocre....unless many of us have overrated all our talent, and coaching staff, and that 7-0 run from last season was merely a mirage. Because after 4 games this season, it sure looks like we are that team that does good one year, then disappears the next season (Tampa Bay under Morris and the first year of Freeman comes to mind).

Many fans drank far to much burgundy and gold colored koolaid over those last 7 games....and in the off season. The play of RGIII, and our team, led to some apparently unrealistic expectations for this season....at least so far. I mean, the team I saw that first 4 weeks is going to get slaughtered by Denver, may get abused by dullass, certainly will find it tough to stay in games vs the 49ers, Chiefs, Chargers, Falcons. Heck, the only teams we may be competitive with that remain on our sked are the Gnats, and the rematch with the beagles.

And I am not convinced that our Bye week will cure all....as at least last season we had a couple of pretty good offensive showings prior to that bye, whereas this time around I really cannot point to any of the three units and speak confidently about their play.

I certainly do not wish gloom and doom on the team....heck, I am a STH and do not want to see a repeat of the 2011 debacle....at least there is no John Beck on the roster.

The W is what it is...and luckily enough right now the NFCE is the NFC least. So we are still in it if the play can improve.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:25 pm

fact is "we are in it" even if the play does not improve ...

There is no doubt IMO that this team is 'better' than the team that won the last 7 games of 2012 - there is also no doubt that this team is not playing very well at all

the issues on offense and defense need to get resolved and these guys (coaches AND players) need to start doing a better job of game planning, practicing and executing

I don't know what the issue is but it's fairly clear that the team needs to pick it up, big time
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:30 pm

let's get one thing straight ... what the fans expect from the team has ZERO to do with offensive line issues or players on defense not making tackles

the fans see what is happening and that the these guys are not playing as well as they are capable

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:38 pm

I'll guarantee that we win some games we should lose and that we'll lose a game or two that we should win

looking ahead and predicting games is silly - we're not going to be playing as badly as this all year and other teams will have good days and bad days as well

tell me the giants are really a 0-4 team or that the Saints are really a 4-0 team

I know that we're not playing as well as we can and I have no idea when that might start but I do know that it's going to happen or there will be hell to pay next off season

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:38 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I'll guarantee that we win some games we should lose and that we'll lose a game or two that we should win

looking ahead and predicting games is silly - we're not going to be playing as badly as this all year and other teams will have good days and bad days as well

tell me the giants are really a 0-4 team or that the Saints are really a 4-0 team

I know that we're not playing as well as we can and I have no idea when that might start but I do know that it's going to happen or there will be hell to pay next off season

Skinsjock....agree with most of your thoughts....but the eye test tells me that the gnats are really bad right now, and the Aints are pretty darn good.

That said, your assessment that we cannot accurately predict the outcome of future games is spot on. But, what I can say with some degree of accuracy is that we are not hitting on anywhere near all cylinders....and that (at least to me) was totally unexpected at the beginning of the season. While I did not expect 4-0, I expected us to at least be competitive, and that did not occur until the Lions game. Even then, many questions remain about all three components of this team.

I am looking forward to see how the team comes out after this early bye....and performs against dullass.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:53 pm

It also takes a little luck. Last year how many balls did Robert fumble but yet we recovered? How about those uncharacteristic calls that went our way? You got to have the ball bounce your way.

JSPB22

Re: Postgame: Raiders

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I can't recall the last time I saw a Skins win that felt so much like a loss.

All of this is true, but I can't help but feel we spotted them their 14 points. Had we not done so, the final score is 24-0, and we all feel a lot better about the win. The blocked punt was laughable in how badly Riley shirked his duties as a blocker, a mistake I doubt will be repeated. On the Raiders only real score, they were aided by a no-call on a blatant hold against Kerrigan on the long pass that put them at the 20, and Orakpo's missed interception that should have ended that drive. Not that I feel good about our performance on Sunday, but even after we were down 14-0, I still had no doubts that we were going to win the game. This team learned how to win last year, and even when we've been down, hasn't given up in any of the games this season.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby gushogs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:02 am

After the bye last year, RGIII came back as team captain and his play and attitude lifted the team to that 7-0 run. This year his injury has got to make an impact on the team. Watching him with that knee brace must be hard on the whole team. The Santana comment above, makes me think that the guys are begining to look on the bright side again and that will make a positive impact on the whole team. He is the leader and once everybody around him sees him in sinc, the team will compete. Seat back and relax, the first indication will be a huge W against the cowturds next Sunday....

HaiL,
Enough of this name change sh*t!!!
Get politicians out of office. Then they'll forget about the REDSKINS, because they'll be WORKING!!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 am

There's been a lot of debate here about what these last four games mean. Are we just going to be terrible this year? Are we capable of turning it around?

I really believe this Cowboys game coming up is going to answer those questions one way or the other. Two weeks to prepare, getting a couple players back from suspension, and playing our biggest rival in an important division game.

I don't know if a loss would be the end of the season or not. But if we can't get up for THAT game and deliver the goods, then I'll admit its hard to believe we're going to do much else the rest of the way. I'm really hoping to see RGIII show up Superman style that Sunday night.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:52 am

The Cowboys are a joke. The real test will be against SD, Denver, & Chicago.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm

rskin72 wrote:I don't know that there is an easy answer to why we look so mediocre....unless many of us have overrated all our talent, and coaching staff, and that 7-0 run from last season was merely a mirage.

I think that it's just that there is very little difference between good, mediocre, and bad teams. Game of inches, etc.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:36 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:The Cowboys are a joke. The real test will be against SD, Denver, & Chicago.

I don't disagree. That makes it even more important that we do well against Dallas then, doesn't it?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football