Legit and realistic prediction

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Postby rskin72 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:30 pm

I did not read the whole article....skimmed it. Seems the writer completely forgot or ignored the 36mil cap space hit that we took. Also sure that this writer would not have even thought about this article last season as we won the NFCE.

In short, the article is tripe. I really have few doubts that RGIII will continue to improve, and mobility and explosiveness will continue to return as the weeks go by. Now, maybe this means a lost season, but certainly not a lost QB of our future...and especially not after 4 friggin games into this season.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13627
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:47 pm

I am not happy about how the team has played so far - the expectations were that we would see a better team than the team that played the last 7 games of 2012 season

saying that - I also see no reason why the team should not start playing much better after the bye - there is no reason why this team, as it is, with these coaches, cannot start playing up to their abilities

I don't understand or want to hear from fans that point to what has happened the last 4 games - why not look at the FACT that this team won 7 games in a row last season and this team should be playing BETTER than that team?

OK - rant over :lol:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16252
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 pm

markshark84 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:I'm not even sure why people are concerned with the playoffs. This isn't a super bowl contending team, so I don't see why it matters. If we win the NFC East --- great, but we'll lose in the first round.

:roll:


Please. Tell me why I'm wrong.

The only, and I mean only, arguement is "RGIII will come to form by the end of the year and with the NFC East where it is, we could hit stride at the right time"

That is all you/we have. The problem is that it's based on hope, nothing concrete; just a shot in the dark. A fading optimistic hope void of statistical or logical support.

If you're eye roll isn't because you think all skins fans should blindly be optimistic, have unrealistic expectations by disregarding facts and basing such expectations on unfounded "hope" that things will just turn around ---- well, then I'd love to hear you try to rationalize this one..........

But, sorry --- "hey, it could happen" doesn't work for me.

Please. The eye roll is for "If we win the NFC East --- great, but we'll lose in the first round." I don't understand why you even bother to follow the team, much less come to THN to post about it.


Should I apologize or not come on this site because I'm objective? Should I just blindly be optimistic when all signs point otherwise? Is that what you expect from posters on this site? I have never been the type of guy that only likes to hear the things I want to hear and surrounds myself with people I know will tell me those things. Perhaps you are.


But again, please tell me why I'm wrong.

You're wrong because you say we will lose in the first round. How can you possibly think that is objective or realistic? Were you certain we were going to lose the game to Seattle last year? We started out 3-6, so I doubt you were optimistic about our chances of winning the East (even though we had only played one division game) at that point. So, I'll ask again, why do you bother to come here and post about a team you think has no chance? It's hardly enjoyable to be around someone who is always a downer. I have no problem with realistic or objective posters, but don't try to disguise your pessimism as either of those. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:08 am

SkinsJock wrote:I am not happy about how the team has played so far - the expectations were that we would see a better team than the team that played the last 7 games of 2012 season

saying that - I also see no reason why the team should not start playing much better after the bye - there is no reason why this team, as it is, with these coaches, cannot start playing up to their abilities

I don't understand or want to hear from fans that point to what has happened the last 4 games - why not look at the FACT that this team won 7 games in a row last season and this team should be playing BETTER than that team?

But maybe the last four games are a better indicator of what this team is than those seven games last year are? For a start, it's a more recent sample. Why would you choose to look at the fact that the team won seven games last year, but ignore the fact that they've lost three of their first four this year during what is theoretically an easier part of the schedule?

I'm all for optimism, and I choose to hope that things will get turned around, but this team has regressed a long way from where it ended last year. In order to compete at the end of the season, the improvement required is greater than was required last year, in my opinion.

It CAN be done, but it's a huge task, given the performance levels in those four games you would like to ignore. Here's hoping that they get it done.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

ch1
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:34 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I am not happy about how the team has played so far - the expectations were that we would see a better team than the team that played the last 7 games of 2012 season

saying that - I also see no reason why the team should not start playing much better after the bye - there is no reason why this team, as it is, with these coaches, cannot start playing up to their abilities

I don't understand or want to hear from fans that point to what has happened the last 4 games - why not look at the FACT that this team won 7 games in a row last season and this team should be playing BETTER than that team?

But maybe the last four games are a better indicator of what this team is than those seven games last year are? For a start, it's a more recent sample. Why would you choose to look at the fact that the team won seven games last year, but ignore the fact that they've lost three of their first four this year during what is theoretically an easier part of the schedule?

I'm all for optimism, and I choose to hope that things will get turned around, but this team has regressed a long way from where it ended last year. In order to compete at the end of the season, the improvement required is greater than was required last year, in my opinion.

It CAN be done, but it's a huge task, given the performance levels in those four games you would like to ignore. Here's hoping that they get it done.


The Redskins do appear to be a terrible team with more emerging problems than bright spots. Hopefully, Robert will return to form and mask some offensive weaknesses and there is a shiny new talent in Jordan Reed (may he soon heal), but it seems to me we are now facing the predictable decline of Moss and Fletcher, as well as the major failures of Fred Davis and punt and kickoff returners. If Robert doesn't come around we'll also have continued average offensive line play, which was masked last year by Robert's dual threat. Robert has to again be a dual threat or we will not make a comeback. We also need Garson, Hankerson, and Reed to be on the field most of the time, with Moss and Paulson coming in. We will have to score a lot of points.

The stiffness of the defense and the play of Kerrigan, Orakpo, Amerson. Coffield and Merriweather gives me hope but I'm afraid is was all chimera.
Any defense in the NFL would have stopped the Raiders last Sunday. Playing without their quarterback and best running backs sealed their doom. Their offensive unit was only poor to fair even before the injuries, and was absolutely clueless and talentless on Sunday. Going into last Sunday's game,
the Raiders were ranked the second worse team of the 32 teams in the NFL.

If we had scored in the neighborhood of forty points, I would be more encouraged, but the win leaves me flat. Our defense worked because there was no competition, and our offense looked like trash. The sack total was inflated because of Raiders ineptness and there's no reason to think it will happen again. We played better against the Lions.

Beating the Cowboys seems almost impossible to me at this moment. Unless we dig deep and true inspiration strikes, we'll we looking at 2 and 6 before too many more weeks. Griffin is the key. He'll have to rise up and be who he is before there's any movement.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: Panama

Postby gushogs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 am

The combined actual record of the teams we played the last 7 games of the season last year is 10-18. In fact there isn´t a winning record in the 5 teams we played (twice Philty and Dullass); one of the teams beat won the SB....

The combined actual record of the teams we'll play the rest of the season is 22-26. The combined actual record of teams to be played outside the division is 17-11. Divisional rivals record is 5-15.

We´ll win the division, 7-9 or 8-8. Once in the playoffs, with RGIII in sinc, London & Co at full speed and Kai back, is a run for SB XLVIII. First team to win a SB without a winning record?

HaiL
Enough of this name change sh*t!!!
Get politicians out of office. Then they'll forget about the REDSKINS, because they'll be WORKING!!!

ch1
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I am not happy about how the team has played so far - the expectations were that we would see a better team than the team that played the last 7 games of 2012 season

saying that - I also see no reason why the team should not start playing much better after the bye - there is no reason why this team, as it is, with these coaches, cannot start playing up to their abilities

I don't understand or want to hear from fans that point to what has happened the last 4 games - why not look at the FACT that this team won 7 games in a row last season and this team should be playing BETTER than that team?

But maybe the last four games are a better indicator of what this team is than those seven games last year are? For a start, it's a more recent sample. Why would you choose to look at the fact that the team won seven games last year, but ignore the fact that they've lost three of their first four this year during what is theoretically an easier part of the schedule?

I'm all for optimism, and I choose to hope that things will get turned around, but this team has regressed a long way from where it ended last year. In order to compete at the end of the season, the improvement required is greater than was required last year, in my opinion.

It CAN be done, but it's a huge task, given the performance levels in those four games you would like to ignore. Here's hoping that they get it done.


The Redskins do appear to be a terrible team with more emerging problems than bright spots. Hopefully, Robert will return to form and mask some offensive weaknesses and there is a shiny new talent in Jordan Reed (may he soon heal), but it seems to me we are now facing the predictable decline of Moss and Fletcher, as well as the major failures of Fred Davis and punt and kickoff returners. If Robert doesn't come around we'll also have continued average offensive line play, which was masked last year by Robert's dual threat. Robert has to again be a dual threat or we will not make a comeback. We also need Garson, Hankerson, and Reed to be on the field most of the time, with Moss and Paulson coming in. We will have to score a lot of points.

The stiffness of the defense and the play of Kerrigan, Orakpo, Amerson. Coffield and Merriweather gives me hope but I'm afraid is was all chimera.
Any defense in the NFL would have stopped the Raiders last Sunday. Playing without their quarterback and best running backs sealed their doom. Their offensive unit was only poor to fair even before the injuries, and was absolutely clueless and talentless on Sunday. Going into last Sunday's game,
the Raiders were ranked the second worse team of the 32 teams in the NFL.

If we had scored in the neighborhood of forty points, I would be more encouraged, but the win leaves me flat. Our defense worked because there was no competition, and our offense looked like trash. The sack total was inflated because of Raiders ineptness and there's no reason to think it will happen again. We played better against the Lions.

Beating the Cowboys seems almost impossible to me at this moment. Unless we dig deep and true inspiration strikes, we'll we looking at 2 and 6 before too many more weeks. Griffin is the key. He'll have to rise up and be who he is before there's any movement.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:54 am

I keep hearing that our O-Line is playing poorly which is why Griffin isn't the dual threat he used to be. Look around the league at the other dual threats from last year. They're struggling as well. Doesn't tell me it's the o-line, it tells me that the defenses have them figured out.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1796
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:I'm not even sure why people are concerned with the playoffs. This isn't a super bowl contending team, so I don't see why it matters. If we win the NFC East --- great, but we'll lose in the first round.

:roll:


Please. Tell me why I'm wrong.

The only, and I mean only, arguement is "RGIII will come to form by the end of the year and with the NFC East where it is, we could hit stride at the right time"

That is all you/we have. The problem is that it's based on hope, nothing concrete; just a shot in the dark. A fading optimistic hope void of statistical or logical support.

If you're eye roll isn't because you think all skins fans should blindly be optimistic, have unrealistic expectations by disregarding facts and basing such expectations on unfounded "hope" that things will just turn around ---- well, then I'd love to hear you try to rationalize this one..........

But, sorry --- "hey, it could happen" doesn't work for me.

Please. The eye roll is for "If we win the NFC East --- great, but we'll lose in the first round." I don't understand why you even bother to follow the team, much less come to THN to post about it.


Should I apologize or not come on this site because I'm objective? Should I just blindly be optimistic when all signs point otherwise? Is that what you expect from posters on this site? I have never been the type of guy that only likes to hear the things I want to hear and surrounds myself with people I know will tell me those things. Perhaps you are.


But again, please tell me why I'm wrong.

You're wrong because you say we will lose in the first round. How can you possibly think that is objective or realistic? Were you certain we were going to lose the game to Seattle last year? We started out 3-6, so I doubt you were optimistic about our chances of winning the East (even though we had only played one division game) at that point. So, I'll ask again, why do you bother to come here and post about a team you think has no chance? It's hardly enjoyable to be around someone who is always a downer. I have no problem with realistic or objective posters, but don't try to disguise your pessimism as either of those. :roll:


I am in the general camp of "you are only as good as your last game". That said, I understand teams are entitled to a bad game here or there. We, however, haven't played a good top-to-bottom game this year. Based on what I have seen THIS YEAR, we don't have the D or O to beat a playoff team. I'm not sure how people can dispute that using current year facts or concrete analysis. This is the 3rd time I have said this, but prove me wrong. Because if you can using relevant, current year FACTS, then I am just a pessimist; but that hasn't happened --- therefore more in the realistic camp.

As far as last year --- I was 100% certain we'd beat SEA. I thought, as long as RGIII stayed healthy, we'd win without a problem.

As far as the 3-6 turnaround, I was actually bullish because I saw potential. For the first time in close to 15 years we had an offense. RGIII was a breath of fresh air, Garcon was coming back from his injury (which was obviously killing us), and we had hit a low against CAR but entering a bye week. Did I think we'd run the table, no -- but I thought we could beat Philly and DAL twice (skeptical, but still thought it was possible), CLE, and give NYG a game because it was at home. I didn't think we'd beat BAL nor did I think we'd win the NFC East outright ---- because the NYGs were 6-3 and I thought they would at least beat CIN, NO, and PHI to get to 9-7. Looking back, I thought we have a tie-breaker with them.

As a poster, I generally call things as I see them; not as I want to see them or with B&G colored glasses. Due to this, and the fact we have had 4 playoff seasons and only 5 winning seasons over the past 20 years --- I have been more bearish; because that is the direction the team has been going over that period. I was bullish last year thought because I saw a foundation for success; as long as RGIII is playing the way he is currently (same for the D), I do not see that foundation. You can call me negative; I will call myself accurate.

I come on this page because I am a passionate skins fan. After the past 2 decades, the "fair-weather" fans are long gone. But I am objective. I see things as they are and judge things based on what is there and not what "could be".

Again, prove me wrong and I'll say I'm a pessimistic downer all you want. But prove it based on current year facts (not the "because I say so" arguement....) to formulate your conclusion.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1796
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I am not happy about how the team has played so far - the expectations were that we would see a better team than the team that played the last 7 games of 2012 season

saying that - I also see no reason why the team should not start playing much better after the bye - there is no reason why this team, as it is, with these coaches, cannot start playing up to their abilities

I don't understand or want to hear from fans that point to what has happened the last 4 games - why not look at the FACT that this team won 7 games in a row last season and this team should be playing BETTER than that team?

OK - rant over :lol:


I honestly didn't expect to see a team that was better than the one we saw in the second half of the year. And I don't see any reason why they shouldn't start playing better either --- but I could have said that for every game this year..... what changes things? the bye week?

The only issue I have with your post is that you don't want fans to use the most up-to-date facts in determining the trajectory of the team??? We should use last years data to forumualte an opinion???

In the NFL, one season is a LIFETIME. Just ask Kansas City. Based on what we have seen this year, I'm not sure how you can say we are more like the team from the second half of last year than the team from the first 4 games of THIS YEAR.

Again, you can't pick and choose. RGIII was a different player last year.

I'd love for this team to turn around ---- and quite frankly, I think we will. The only issue is that I think it will be closer to week 12; once RGIII becomes more comfortable. But you can't take that to the bank.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4971
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:34 pm

markshark84 wrote:I honestly didn't expect to see a team that was better than the one we saw in the second half of the year. And I don't see any reason why they shouldn't start playing better either --- but I could have said that for every game this year..... what changes things? the bye week?


Why not? Two more weeks of practice and recovery for RGIII? Two defensive players returning from suspension?
[/quote]

markshark84 wrote:The only issue I have with your post is that you don't want fans to use the most up-to-date facts in determining the trajectory of the team??? We should use last years data to forumualte an opinion???


I don't disagree. But your up-to-date facts mostly seem to be win/loss record.

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16252
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm

markshark84 wrote:Again, prove me wrong and I'll say I'm a pessimistic downer all you want. But prove it based on current year facts (not the "because I say so" arguement....) to formulate your conclusion.

Seeing as we are only at the quarter pole (and 1/6 in the division), there isn't enough current year data to go on, one way or the other. But based on your statement of us winning the East, one has to assume that the team would have turned it around, at least somewhat. But, then you automatically say we can't win a playoff game after winning the division. You can't see the disconnect there? Sorry, but that's the very definition of pessimism.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1796
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:Again, prove me wrong and I'll say I'm a pessimistic downer all you want. But prove it based on current year facts (not the "because I say so" arguement....) to formulate your conclusion.

Seeing as we are only at the quarter pole (and 1/6 in the division), there isn't enough current year data to go on, one way or the other. But based on your statement of us winning the East, one has to assume that the team would have turned it around, at least somewhat. But, then you automatically say we can't win a playoff game after winning the division. You can't see the disconnect there? Sorry, but that's the very definition of pessimism.


Personally, I think 4 games tells you a good deal.

As far as the winning NFCEast and not winning a playoff game, there is no disconnect. If all things stay the same, winning the NFC East will be akin to being the skinniest kid at fat camp. No one coming out of the NFC East will win a playoff game --- the only reason any NFC East team will make the playoffs is because it's mandated.

Is it pessimiism if I think all 4 NFC East teams won't win a playoff game? Regardless, I'm not even sure the skins will win the division. I think the Cowboys are curently the team to beat based on their performance this year.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:29 am
Location: Fredericksburg, Va

Postby SKINS#1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:41 pm

[quote="markshark84"

As far as the winning NFCEast and not winning a playoff game, there is no disconnect. If all things stay the same, winning the NFC East will be akin to being the skinniest kid at fat camp. No one coming out of the NFC East will win a playoff game --- the only reason any NFC East team will make the playoffs is because it's mandated.
year.[/quote]

I agree, based on a total of 4 wins in the NFCEast, this is a rational conclusion. Is it a sure thing? No, but based on what we have seen to date it is not reasonable to assume any NFCEast team will win a playoff game.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:09 pm

If our offense cannot score more than 7 points in the first half against Dallas I'd say that there should be some very serious cause for concern.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football