ESPN Article Bashing Griffin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

ESPN Article Bashing Griffin

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Don't know if anyone has read this yet, but I found it by googling "Robert Griffin" under the news tab.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97488 ... n-magazine

I must admit that to a degree, I agree with some of what Bryant has said in this article. I find it amazing that everybody and their mother was in love with Griffin last year (people were in mourning after he got injured in the Seahawks game for chrissakes), and how quick the media has turned on him. Unbelievable. I understand some of the kneejerkers in the fanbase who would turn on him but didn't expect the media to turn this quickly.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 pm

RG3 just needs to play to his capabilities - we have not seen that yet ..

I have no doubt that he's going to pick up his game and become the greatest QB to ever put on a B&G uniform - ever :D
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:16 pm

This is a humbling lesson for Robert. I think he needed it and will be better for it.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:59 pm

I can see why he would think the way he does, though I don't necessarily agree with his conclusions, but when I got to this:

When he arrived in Washington last year, he was positioned as the racial bridge of a divided city, even though he had yet to say or do anything of great social significance (and still hasn't).

he lost any credibility he had. Why does it always have to be about race? Can't he just be a QB?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 am

Deadskins wrote:I can see why he would think the way he does, though I don't necessarily agree with his conclusions, but when I got to this:

When he arrived in Washington last year, he was positioned as the racial bridge of a divided city, even though he had yet to say or do anything of great social significance (and still hasn't).

he lost any credibility he had. Why does it always have to be about race? Can't he just be a QB?

I agree 100%. When I got to that part I just stopped trying to pretend that the author was doing anything other than trying to cash in on RG3's struggles this season.

Yes, I'm sure there are some in DC and across the country that will root for him simply because he is back. How else do you explain why you still see tons of #17 Williams jerseys but no #11 Rypien jerseys? Doug started for less than a season for the team while Mark started for five of six seasons and three of those teams went to the playoffs.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:39 am

Although race plays a lot, and it shouldn't it does. RGIII was the hottest ticket last year, but let's also face facts, RGIII started to drink his own kool aid. He started to become a media diva, he hasn't been sharp, he hasn't shown at all what he did last year. He has spoken about being 100% when clearly he isn't. He is being caught by defensive lineman that last year he would have ran away from. Why is he playing and why is he having to all of a sudden become a Peyton Manning type QB? He isn't able and this offensive line isn't built to be that type of team. RGIII is dangerous having the ability to run, giving the defense the additional task of worrying about him running, they don't respect him running, it is shown he isn't running and even when he does he is SLOW, fact is yes it's great he came back to play, but on the other side of that coin Kirk Cousin gives us the best chance to win when we have to be a drop back and pass team. Let's also not kid ourselves. Other than Pierre we have no receiver that strikes fear. Leonard has shown flashes, Josh and Santana have to me dropped more passes than they have caught and let's not even talk about Robinson, he can barely catch a cold. Fred Davis seems to have lost a step and isn't as open as usual. Teams know RGIII looks for Paulsen and he too has had the drops. We all know that if RGIII has come back and played like he did last year, this article would not have been written or would have glorified RGIII as the greatest thing to come to DC since our 3 SB's. However since RGIII hasn't shown anything to really be excited about he is now looking to be a one year wonder, injury or not. Lastly the media is there to create as much media sensationalism as possible, this is nothing more than a direct shot at doing just that. The question is does RGIII dig down and become great again, or is this a lost season because he and his knee is no where close to where it has been reported to be. Sorry I have seen Conner Barwin catch him, I have seen #79 from Detroit catch him and I saw a couple Raider's catch him, no way last year any of them catch him. At this point Kirk Cousins may be faster than RGIII and that is what is hurting the most, RGIII is no longer a duel threat QB and his skillset isn't being an Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning type drop back passer and this line isn't built to be a pass protection line either. So as damming as that article is, there is truth to it and after 4 games personally I don't see RGIII as I saw him last year and neither does the other 31 teams in the NFL.........

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Although race plays a lot, and it shouldn't it does. RGIII was the hottest ticket last year, but let's also face facts, RGIII started to drink his own kool aid.

barf. GIVE ME A BREAK.

The guy didn't start to drink his own kool-aid. HE TORE HIS ACL.

I love how you also wrote "let's face facts". As if anyone here could ever state FACTUALLY whether RGIII was "drinking his own kool aid". Whatever that is.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:47 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:I can see why he would think the way he does, though I don't necessarily agree with his conclusions, but when I got to this:

I agree 100%. When I got to that part I just stopped trying to pretend that the author was doing anything other than trying to cash in on RG3's struggles this season.

Yes, I'm sure there are some in DC and across the country that will root for him simply because he is back. How else do you explain why you still see tons of #17 Williams jerseys but no #11 Rypien jerseys? Doug started for less than a season for the team while Mark started for five of six seasons and three of those teams went to the playoffs.

Double post. Please disregard.
Last edited by emoses14 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

Stop. Right. There. I'm fine if you want to pretend as though there is something wrong with a race of people being fan's of Griffin's solely because he's black. I'm not going to get into why that's just too cute for words, cause it isn't the point here.

However, since Doug was the very first black quarterback to play in, let alone dominate in, a Superbowl, you are being purposefully obtuse not to understand the significance of that event and therefor the prevalence of his jersey over Rypien's. I'm sorry that hurts your color blind feelings. I don't even disagree with the point that Rypien was a better QB for the skins for a longer period of time, but that, again, has nothing to do with it Though it ain't world's better now, that was a vastly different time with respect to the perception of a black qb's ability to play, let alone at a high level, let alone in the pinnacle game of the sport. Now, if you happen to be that special snowflake who just doesn't see color, that's awesome for you. I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the rest of America that doesn't quite operate the same way.

You explain why people wear William's Jersey more than Rypien's because his achievements in the Burgundy and Gold were more salient to more people than Rypien's not just because he was black, but because he was black at that time, on that stage, in that America, in this country, got hurt and THEN blew every possible hope and dream for quality of performance out of the water. If you can't understand that, well I don't know what to tell you.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 am

I don't care about white or black. Williams was our most overrated QB.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:09 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:I don't care about white or black. Williams was our most overrated QB.

Overrated? :? I don't think he was ever overrated. Especially for the time he played, the racial issue he dealt with from the belief that black man weren't smart enough to play QB as well as the racism shown to him by Jay Schroeder his own team mate. I tend to think the most overrated QB we ever had was Trent Green, do you know how many times I have heard that had JKC not died and we were able to keep him this team would have never declined the way it did. That to me is overrated........

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:20 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:I don't care about white or black. Williams was our most overrated QB.

Jay Schroeder
Gus Frerotte
Heath Shuler
Mark Brunell
Donovan McNabb
Patrick Ramsey
Shane Mathews (i know he wasn't highly rated, but the fact that he was even rated at all, and started makes him more overrated)
Rex Grossman

Your argument is invalid.

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:49 am

My point wasn't really so much about RGIII being black, as much as the author stating that he was positioned to be some racial bridge to bring DC together, and not having made any socially significant speeches or taken any action along those lines. What a crock! He was brought in to be the QB for the Redskins, not to solve some social issues. The Redskins are one of the things, if not the only thing, that brings DC together. It has absolutley nothing to do with his race, nor should it. And why the hell should anyone expect him to make/take "socially significant" speeches/action?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:27 pm

emoses14 wrote:

Jay Schroeder
Gus Frerotte
Heath Shuler
Mark Brunell
Donovan McNabb
Patrick Ramsey
Shane Mathews (i know he wasn't highly rated, but the fact that he was even rated at all, and started makes him more overrated)
Rex Grossman

Your argument is invalid.

BS.

None of those QBs you listed are talked about today as one of the Skins greats. Williams had one excellent game that just so happened to be the Superbowl.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 pm

emoses14 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Stop. Right. There. I'm fine if you want to pretend as though there is something wrong with a race of people being fan's of Griffin's solely because he's black. I'm not going to get into why that's just too cute for words, cause it isn't the point here.

However, since Doug was the very first black quarterback to play in, let alone dominate in, a Superbowl, you are being purposefully obtuse not to understand the significance of that event and therefor the prevalence of his jersey over Rypien's. I'm sorry that hurts your color blind feelings. I don't even disagree with the point that Rypien was a better QB for the skins for a longer period of time, but that, again, has nothing to do with it Though it ain't world's better now, that was a vastly different time with respect to the perception of a black qb's ability to play, let alone at a high level, let alone in the pinnacle game of the sport. Now, if you happen to be that special snowflake who just doesn't see color, that's awesome for you. I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the rest of America that doesn't quite operate the same way.

You explain why people wear William's Jersey more than Rypien's because his achievements in the Burgundy and Gold were more salient to more people than Rypien's not just because he was black, but because he was black at that time, on that stage, in that America, in this country, got hurt and THEN blew every possible hope and dream for quality of performance out of the water. If you can't understand that, well I don't know what to tell you.

I agree with most of this. What Williams achieved as a black QB during the '87 season is bigger than just football given the time. In typing, it is very difficult to put into words. #17 did something culturally significant, the football equivalent of Obama being elected as president. Blacks now had a SB winning QB to identify with and, IMHO, is one of the reasons we are seeing more black QBs thrive today.

The reason you see more #17s and less #11s is because of the impact he had on the game; having a SB winning black QB is something ONLY washington can own. People don't only buy jerseys of players because they are statistically good --- they buy jerseys of people they can identify with. That is why you see a lot more white fans with #91s than #59s in the stands on sundays and more black fans with #17 over #11.

The only thing I disagree with is that you believe there is still a "perception" that a black QB can't play or that they aren't given the proper chances to succeed. That is incorrect. During the days of #17, for some time he was the only starting black QB in the league, was grossly underpaid, and under-recruited in college. That is not the case today. Not even close --- and #17s contributions have something to do with this.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football