Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Agree 100%

Postby Fan40yrs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:18 am

Redskins Reparations wrote:The Washington Redskins have not mocked Native Americans by naming the franchise after them but instead honor them. There have also been multiple Native American organizations that expressed publicly that the name is not considered offensive.

Maybe the organization should pay homage to Native Americans to include public awareness, donations, scholarships, etc to Native American organizations. Then maybe the name would be viewed as a positive rather than a negative.

When was the last time a professional sports franchise changed their name due to public pressure and/or political correctness? This subject opens the door to other Non-Native American offensive team names as well.

[b]The politicians that bring this subject to the forefront should focus on more important issues...
[ Our Nation is in Crisis and reporters are asking the President about a Football Teams name??? What in the world are people thinking........OR are they?

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 am

I was born in the 80's. I'm all out of white guilt.

Keep the name.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 am

fredp45 wrote:This President is so clueless -- why does he feel the need to enter into issues about the NFL???

He didn't "feel the need". He was ASKED.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:I'm not one of these idiots who blames Obama for the deficit, screwing health care, etc. but damn this guy needs to stop sticking his nose in issues that have no relevance to the state of this country. Although I suspect he was asked a question and simply answered it and the sharks came to the chum to blow it out of proportion like usual.

lol. Ya think?

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:58 am

How fast did we get to the Nazi/Hitler comparison?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwins_law

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 am

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:I'm not one of these idiots who blames Obama for the deficit, screwing health care, etc. but damn this guy needs to stop sticking his nose in issues that have no relevance to the state of this country. Although I suspect he was asked a question and simply answered it and the sharks came to the chum to blow it out of proportion like usual.

lol. Ya think?

I agree that he was just asked a question and that he just 'responded' ... AND he also knew what the media (sharks) would do :lol:

He knew EXACTLY what he was doing ... He just continues to show that he does not have a clue

O O still equals NOTHING ... :shock:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:33 am

yeah, he was asked...BUT -- as President, STAY THE HELL OUT OF THIS STUFF...was he asked about the Trayvon Martin case? He needs to realize he isn't a community organizer anymore. Maybe he can replace Al Sharpton, as the "voice of reason" once he leaves office.

A perfectly good response to the Redskin name issue would have been...

I know this is an issue, I know the NFL and Redskins are looking at the issue.

He doesn't need to give his leanings on everything.

Crap, we need to ask what he thinks about the throw Tony Romo made yesterday after throwing for 500 yards, let's ask the f'ing President!

The guy has NO clue how to run this country. I do feel sorry for him that he has Reid and Pelosy as his alleys!! OMG.

Back to the thread -- leave the name as is...this Political Correctness stuff is over the top.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am

fredp45 wrote:Crap, we need to ask what he thinks about the throw Tony Romo made yesterday after throwing for 500 yards, let's ask the f'ing President!

I don't agree with your politics, but I get what you're saying. But again, if you want to be annoyed about it, then be annoyed at the clueless reporter or whoever it was that felt this was an appropriate question for the President. I don't blame Obama for giving his honest opinion about the matter. Is anybody actually surprised by his opinion? I doubt it. Does his opinion actually affect yours? Of course not. So why all of the fake outrage?

Its not just the President. They asked the same question in the VA Governors debate.

And all of this "Obama doesn't know how to run the country" stuff is hilarious. A bunch of wingnut teabaggers have shut the government down and about to drive the economy off the cliff by defaulting on our debt. Sorry, but it ain't Obama who is clueless. What a freaking JOKE.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 am

"Fake outrage" -- not fake and not outrage, just sick of this Administration...I'm done with this thread...

On a much happier note -- I'm old enough to remember Riggo...love that guy. Have a 44 jersey I wear to games.

Always thought he'd be a great color commentary for MNF.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:49 am

fredp45 wrote:
He doesn't need to give his leanings ...

I must have missed the part where he said which way he leans on the name.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 am

fredp45 wrote:"Fake outrage" -- not fake and not outrage, just sick of this Administration...I'm done with this thread...

On a much happier note -- I'm old enough to remember Riggo...love that guy. Have a 44 jersey I wear to games.

Always thought he'd be a great color commentary for MNF.

+1 - I'd really like to hear 44's take on this ...

and

all the dems need to do is what politicians do all the time .. negotiate

plus

don't force the tax hikes on us that are a part of Obamacare :lol:

I'm outa here too - this name stuff ain't going anywhere

and

it's Dallas week - now that's worth paying attention to :roll:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:06 pm

riggofan wrote:
fredp45 wrote:Crap, we need to ask what he thinks about the throw Tony Romo made yesterday after throwing for 500 yards, let's ask the f'ing President!

I don't agree with your politics, but I get what you're saying. But again, if you want to be annoyed about it, then be annoyed at the clueless reporter or whoever it was that felt this was an appropriate question for the President. I don't blame Obama for giving his honest opinion about the matter. Is anybody actually surprised by his opinion? I doubt it. Does his opinion actually affect yours? Of course not. So why all of the fake outrage?

Its not just the President. They asked the same question in the VA Governors debate.

And all of this "Obama doesn't know how to run the country" stuff is hilarious. A bunch of wingnut teabaggers have shut the government down and about to drive the economy off the cliff by defaulting on our debt. Sorry, but it ain't Obama who is clueless. What a freaking JOKE.

Your comments about the Obama admin and teabag wingnuts is a little off course. Obama's agenda when he took office was Obamacare vice budgets.....and that legislation was ramrodded through congress (which was controlled by his party at that time). By the time they got around to working on a budget, elections had happened and the Republicans had taken control back of the House. We have not had a budget passed by both parts of congress in many years. The fed gov has been working off a never ending string of continuing resolutions.

Both parties are to blame here.....no one in DC can escape the reindeer games that are played (at the taxpayers expense) up there. It is a joke that we are at (yet again) another impasse with no end in sight. It takes 2 to tango, and both parties have seemed to dig in here.

Another reason that I do not listen to political talk radio nor TV anymore.....enjoy listening to sports and Redskins chat far more.

Most of the time when Obama, or any political figure, renders sports opinions I really don't pay much attention. The only reason this caught my eye was that it pertained to my team. At least I believe the Pres is a sports fan, although I believe his team in football is Da Bears....
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Bottom line... I acknowledge that this is, indeed, a political thread, as the question of hate against the team name is purely political...

HOWEVER...

This is getting dangerously close to dueling rantings regarding the competence vs incompetence of various components of the Federal government... THAT, my friends, IS NOT about change/don't change the name.

Please remain on topic... Thanks
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby fm330 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Now that the king muslim has voiced his opinion, the NFL will bend over for him and force Washington to change the name...bet on it. If this happens I for one, am done with Washington.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:23 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:

lol. Ya think?

I agree that he was just asked a question and that he just 'responded' ... AND he also knew what the media (sharks) would do :lol:

He knew EXACTLY what he was doing ... He just continues to show that he does not have a clue

O O still equals NOTHING ... :shock:

No kidding, Obama is no fool. There was an agenda there. If fact, based on the answer (non-commital but presumptuous), I wouldn't be surprised if it was planted.

But honestly, we are talking about a president that fills out his NCAA tourny bracket on ESPN. He's a sports fan; the press knows his comment will be news. I have no issue that he made the comment, I just shake my head at the fact he exploited it to serve a social agenda.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football