Bears @ Redskins Pre-Game: The Early Edition

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Bears @ Redskins Pre-Game: The Early Edition

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Robert Griffin III told the Washington Times he believes he "needs to run more" to improve the Redskins' chances of winning, and coach Mike Shanahan has given him the green light.

Griffin's 77 rushing yards in Sunday night's loss to Dallas were more than he'd gained in Washington's first four games combined. "He’s got to be himself. Robert is Robert," Shanahan said. "We don’t ask quarterbacks to do anything in particular. We have a game plan going in. Whatever that game plan may be, we are hoping they execute it." Griffin still has accuracy issues to iron out, but the Redskins appear to be on the verge of an offensive breakthrough. The Redskins generated 433 yards against Dallas, but settled for four field-goal tries.

Oct 16 - 8:29 PM

Source: Washington Times
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

**ch44

Re: Bears @ Redskins Pre-Game: The Early Edition

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Robert Griffin III told the Washington Times he believes he "needs to run more" to improve the Redskins' chances of winning, and coach Mike Shanahan has given him the green light.

Griffin's 77 rushing yards in Sunday night's loss to Dallas were more than he'd gained in Washington's first four games combined. "He’s got to be himself. Robert is Robert," Shanahan said. "We don’t ask quarterbacks to do anything in particular. We have a game plan going in. Whatever that game plan may be, we are hoping they execute it." Griffin still has accuracy issues to iron out, but the Redskins appear to be on the verge of an offensive breakthrough. The Redskins generated 433 yards against Dallas, but settled for four field-goal tries.

Oct 16 - 8:29 PM

Source: Washington Times

Please Please Please [-o<

This is my super bowl. These Bears fans are talking so much junk right now.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 am

Griffin should run its what he does best. He's not helping the team trying to learn how to be a pocket passer, might as well run and it will keep the rush at home some too if he starts to burn teams. Lets hope he remembers to slide and if he gets dinged he doesn't throw his coaches under the bus.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:19 am

Run more = get hit more = .........right

Defenses have shown their willingness to hit him late and take the penalty.

I'd rather see him throw more scrambling in the backfield far away from the defense, but he's not the kind of player to just stay back there.

If coaches would focus more on getting the line working together for the remainder of the season, our running game will flourish and RG3 won't need to run...Morris will.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:47 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:If coaches would focus more on getting the line working together for the remainder of the season, our running game will flourish and RG3 won't need to run...Morris will.

+1

I've said it last year, and I've said it this year. They key to winning games is giving Morris the rock. Griffin does not need to run more, Morris (and even Helu/Royster) need to. Morris was the main one responsible for our seven week win streak last year, IMO. Very underrated too.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:13 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:If coaches would focus more on getting the line working together for the remainder of the season, our running game will flourish and RG3 won't need to run...Morris will.

+1

I've said it last year, and I've said it this year. They key to winning games is giving Morris the rock. Griffin does not need to run more, Morris (and even Helu/Royster) need to. Morris was the main one responsible for our seven week win streak last year, IMO. Very underrated too.

Agree that fixing the line would be of great help to what ails our offense. To say the least.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:10 pm

The Bears have lost to some not great teams and have struggled to beat some marginal teams. I'm sure what we are but we should not fear the Bears. They are not the Monsters of the Midway. We need to go out and kick ass. We need to play D like we did against the Cowgirls and not F up on specials.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:39 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
I'd rather see him throw more scrambling in the backfield far away from the defense, but he's not the kind of player to just stay back there.

If coaches would focus more on getting the line working together for the remainder of the season, our running game will flourish and RG3 won't need to run...Morris will.

As far as your first statement --- I think this is easier said than done. If we set up a play designed to keep RGIII in a pocket and the pocket breaks down, most likely the only place he'll have to move is forward. He won't be able to run to the side and make the pass. If we design bootleg plays where he rolls to one side, it takes half the field away and becomes EXTREMELY easy to defend. And RGIII is just as likely to get hurt or a concussion scrambling in the backfield to make a pass over a controlled run.

RGIII is best playing the way he did in 2012 -- KS/MS just have to make it into more of a controlled chaios.

As far as second --- agree on improving the line. Litchensteiger has not played well this year in particular. Morris is a beast and is even playing well despite all odds against him.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:40 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:

+1

I don't know man. I love Morris, but he didn't do that himself last year. Big holes opened up for him largely because defenses had to account for RGIII running. Look what happened these first couple games when they weren't as worried about that.

I'm sure the team would like nothing more than to give Morris the rock. But you can't keep giving him the rock and keep going three and out and keep putting our shaky defense on the field and keep getting behind in games. Its not that simple.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:50 pm

I obviously didn't mean to hand off to Morris the whole time, but we need a balanced approach with passing and running, and more running from Morris, less from Griffin.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Even in this thread...

it's deep in my head...

Dallas Sucks
Dallas Sucks
Dallas Sucks.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:58 pm

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

+1

I don't know man. I love Morris, but he didn't do that himself last year. Big holes opened up for him largely because defenses had to account for RGIII running. Look what happened these first couple games when they weren't as worried about that.

I'm sure the team would like nothing more than to give Morris the rock. But you can't keep giving him the rock and keep going three and out and keep putting our shaky defense on the field and keep getting behind in games. Its not that simple.

I agree that Morris didn't do that all himself last year, but it was more because teams didn't want to blitz and were held more in cloud cover.

But 100% disagree with the remaining (to a degree). Morris rushed for >100 yards on 13 carries in week 2. Morris has a HIGHER ypc average this year compared to last by almost 1/2 a yard!!! He's just not getting the opportunities because of our lack of passing attack and we are ALWAYS losing. As far as going 3 and out ---- that has nothing to do with Morris and everything to do with our passing game.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 pm

markshark84 wrote:I agree that Morris didn't do that all himself last year, but it was more because teams didn't want to blitz and were held more in cloud cover.

gotcha. But freezing the defense like that was because of RGIII, wasn't it?

markshark84 wrote:But 100% disagree with the remaining (to a degree). Morris rushed for >100 yards on 13 carries in week 2. Morris has a HIGHER ypc average this year compared to last by almost 1/2 a yard!!! He's just not getting the opportunities because of our lack of passing attack and we are ALWAYS losing. As far as going 3 and out ---- that has nothing to do with Morris and everything to do with our passing game.

I guess we'd have to look at some actual series to see what happens. But I feel like we're seeing a lot of series like, Morris runs for 1 yd. Morris runs for 1 or 2 yds. Then we're in a 3d and long. So yeah, if we can't convert 3d and long I see how you're blaming the passing game, but doesn't Morris share some of that as well?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Let the man show that he can play QB like he did last year - he's not going to put himself in jeopardy - that's the way he plays and he's learned a lot from what happened

unleash the beast that is RG3 - let's get going again
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:

+1

+1

Couldn't agree more. I'd love to see a lot of Morris & Helu together in the back. Instead of RG3 doing a run read, he could take it from Morris & toss off to Helu in the other direction.

Well, at least that would work in Madden LOL

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football