Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:34 pm

red·skin
[red-skin]
noun Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive.
a North American Indian.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 pm

riggofan wrote:Who said I agree with Costas? I actually don't agree that the team should change its name. But I can listen to Bob Costas express his opinion about the name of a freaking football team without feeling that he needs to "burn in hell".

He can go to hell. He doesn't have to burn there. :twisted: The point being, how long has he been in sports broadcasting? And he just now decides that the term is offensive and a slur? Not for the previous thirty years though? And he doesn't need to express his opinion on the name of a football team. He needs to report about what just transpired during the game before the 2nd half starts.

riggofan wrote:If the whole political correctness part of this debate is annoying, I can assure you that the insane and ignorant overreactions by the other side of the debate are just flat out disturbing.

I agree.

riggofan wrote:And btw claiming that the only thing people used the term Redskins for was "to describe the type of paint Native Americans from Delaware" has to be one of the STUPIDEST things I have ever heard. Like some rancher in Texas who called a pack of comanches "redskins" was really just thinking about the facepaint of the Delaware native americans. lol. Give me a freaking break. The reason the word is an issue is because at some point it has been used as an ethnic slur. End of story.

The term WAS originated because of that. The origins of the word was not derogatory in any way. Over time it began to be used as a slur. But while we're at it, why don't the Cleveland Indians have to change their name? Why not change the NAACP to the NAAEP? What about the United Negro College Fund? When does the nonsense all end?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:01 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:The term WAS originated because of that. The origins of the word was not derogatory in any way.

That doesn't really MEAN anything though, man. The N word was not originally a slur. It came from the Spanish and Portuguese word negro and just meant black-skinned. A couple hundred years later you have slave owners beating slaves and using that word and it takes on a different meaning.

StorminMormon86 wrote:Over time it began to be used as a slur.

Exactly. So therefore, Bob Costas was expressing a fact about the word. Whether the team name needs to be changed or not is his opinion. Either way, Costas is just another guy on tv. Take his opinion or don't.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:22 pm

I agree with SM86 that what was particularly annoying about Costas's "weighing in" is its timing. The whole bandwagon atmosphere around the name change right now it just obnoxious. At least with Snyder in charge we know the Skins can just ride out this particular fad. I'm not so sure we'll survive the next one 5-10 years down the line.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I agree with SM86 that what was particularly annoying about Costas's "weighing in" is its timing. The whole bandwagon atmosphere around the name change right now it just obnoxious. At least with Snyder in charge we know the Skins can just ride out this particular fad. I'm not so sure we'll survive the next one 5-10 years down the line.

Eventually someone (be it Snyder or the next owner) will cave in. I'm surprised Snyder hasn't changed it, honestly. Think of the money to be made with all new apparel, etc.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:07 pm

what a bunch of crap this is ...

I sincerely hope that Dan does not give in ...
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:37 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I agree with SM86 that what was particularly annoying about Costas's "weighing in" is its timing. The whole bandwagon atmosphere around the name change right now it just obnoxious. At least with Snyder in charge we know the Skins can just ride out this particular fad. I'm not so sure we'll survive the next one 5-10 years down the line.

Eventually someone (be it Snyder or the next owner) will cave in. I'm surprised Snyder hasn't changed it, honestly. Think of the money to be made with all new apparel, etc.

I can tell you first hand that if this team changes its name, I am out. I live in Chicago and have no tie to DC except for the Skins. Snyder would lose me a many several thousand like me. I cheer for them because of the name. I cheer for them because I grew up loving them, but just like the Bullets who I dropped for the Bulls, I would move on. He knows how much money he would lose. This fan base is not just in DC, it's world wide, and many would not follow with a name change.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

piggie

Postby hanburgerheel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:27 am

Here is an excerpt from an op-ed of a former 82nd Airborne vet:

During WWII a Canadian Native American named Tommy Prince was a member of the 1st Special Services Brigade..better known as the Devil's Brigade...better known as the founders of the US Army Special forces, was a scout, sniper, and a downright badass. He would sneak into German camps and slit the throats of every 3rd man, then scalp them and hang their scalps in the treeline around the camp and never made a word...why? BECAUSE HE WOULD GO BAREFOOT AND NAKED in the snow of Italy's ALPS. That is part of the reason how the "Devil's Brigade" got its name was because of him and the "devils that would scalp a man"

The 82nd Airborne has the 504th Parachute Infantry regiment...also known as the "Devils in Baggy Pants" During the jump into Salerno, Italy and the battle of Anzio, the 504th PIR Scouts where made up of Sioux, Chippewa and Cherokee Natives (and others) These SOB's TERRORIZED the German lines and wouldn't wear helmets...they wore traditional warpaint, with shaved heads and would "whoop" their battle cry when attacking. the rest of the Brigade started following their lead and a dead german officer wrote in his diary about how he couldn't sleep at night, never knowing where and how they would attack. those black hearted devils are everywhere. They also would scalp Germans, use the blood off the german to paint the famed AA logo of the division patch and leave an ace of spades on the body. The brigades Red Devils battalion is where the scouts were located at the time, thus they decided on the color red to signify them. (trust me, I am a former member of the Red Devils)

Also during WWII, the 501st Parachite Infantry Regiment "Geronimo's" (named after...yep that guy Geronimo since they were founded at Ft Sill, his resting place), use the image of the War Chief in their logo, even yelled it when they jumped out of the airplane to pay tribute to the man (it wasn't Bugs Bunny who did it first...trust me on that) During the Operation Overlord aka D-Day, the scouts from the 501st, mostly made up of Apache and Seminole's) Jumped into D-Day with NO HELMET, heads shaved, blacked out faces with war paint, and carrying Tomahawk's on their side were some of the first troops on the ground and I mean first troops..like first planes to leave England for the 101st...HOURS prior to anyone else. There job, to help setup the drop zones and take out any threats around them. How did they do? well..one of their snipers managed to put 10 notches into his rifle, and other managed to get around 10 scalps. They SCARED THE EVERY LIVING S**T out of the Germans because they would sneak up and ambush the Germans with nothing but their knifes, bayonettes, or that Tomahawk they jumped in. They would kill em, scalp them, and leave them TIED to the trees for the next patrol to find. One unnamed soldier, a Seminole, was so good...he would ambush the last soldier in a patrol, kill him, scalp him, and write "Geronimo" in blood on the body, so when the patrol would backtrack, they found them.

Trust me on this ..Native Americans are ruthless warriors, amazing soldiers, always respected. When teams where getting mascot names back then, they never used them as an insult to a nation of warriors...Only issue I have is this when it comes to oppression, my ancestors were oppressed for a much longer time, forced from their homes, and murdered to this nation could expand. But over time, they remained proud of who they where and what they are and still are. Proud AMERICANS.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:43 am

chiefhog44 wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

I can tell you first hand that if this team changes its name, I am out. I live in Chicago and have no tie to DC except for the Skins. Snyder would lose me a many several thousand like me. I cheer for them because of the name. I cheer for them because I grew up loving them, but just like the Bullets who I dropped for the Bulls, I would move on. He knows how much money he would lose. This fan base is not just in DC, it's world wide, and many would not follow with a name change.

I think it's stupid to even have a discussion about changing the name. But if Snyder does in fact cave in, I'll still be there supporting the team, regardless of name.

piggie

Postby oj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

I find it offensive and it should be changed to 'The Redskins' leaving 'Washington' out.
Molon Labe

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:53 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:I can tell you first hand that if this team changes its name, I am out. I live in Chicago and have no tie to DC except for the Skins. Snyder would lose me a many several thousand like me. I cheer for them because of the name.

lol. That's devotion. :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:37 pm

The Indianapolis Colts are NOT the Baltimore Colts ...

The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and the name was changed .. the Browns fans did not cheer for the Baltimore Ravens even though that was the same 'team - AND even though, at the time, they did not have a team

The Washington Redskins are not the same team if they change their name

THANKFULLY - Snyder will not let the name be changed
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 pm

SkinsJock wrote:The Indianapolis Colts are NOT the Baltimore Colts ...

The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and the name was changed .. the Browns fans did not cheer for the Baltimore Ravens even though that was the same 'team - AND even though, at the time, they did not have a team

The Washington Redskins are not the same team if they change their name

THANKFULLY - Snyder will not let the name be changed

I think it's dumb that all of a sudden this has become a pressing issue for everyone, yet it was perfectly fine 5, 10, 15 years ago. But, being that I have no control over any of this, I honestly could give two poops less if they were to change the name. They would still be my team, week in and week out. Anyone who says otherwise needs to go to hell with Costas... :lol:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 pm

The team name is the Washington Redskins

a team named the Washington whatevers is NOT the Washington Redskins

thankfully Snyder will not let that happen

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:24 am

.. it'll be funny to see @ fedex everyone still saying Redskins even if the name changes.. i know for dag gone sure i'll still be saying it and singing our corny song. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football