Name Change News

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Name Change News

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:59 am

Report: Daniel Snyder to meet with Roger Goodell about Redskins name
By John Breech | CBSSports.com
October 28, 2013 9:25 pm ET

The NFL is scheduled to meet with the Oneida Indian Nation on Wednesday regarding the Washington Redskins team name. However, before that meeting happens, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will meet with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder in New York, according to the Washington Post.

According to the Post, Snyder hasn't changed his stance on the team's name -- and his stance is to not change it -- but Snyder will meet with Goodell so that Goodell can "get more of an understanding from the club as to how it plans to address the issue."

Snyder wrote an open letter to fans in early October citing reasons why he wouldn't be changing the name. In the letter, Snyder mentioned the franchise's great history, tradition and legacy.

The Oneida Indian Nation have spearheaded the effort to get the name changed. The Oneida have bought radio ads denouncing the name and even held a protest before the Redskins played in Green Bay in September.

The Oneida have been vocal enough that the NFL agreed to meet with them in New York in November. Snyder's actually been invited to attend that meeting, but he's unlikely to be there. The Oneida commissioned a poll in mid-October and 77 percent of respondents said they believed Snyder should attend. Instead, it looks like Snyder will have the aforementioned meeting with Goodell next week.

President Obama and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell both seem open to a name change, but Goodell did say in September that the decision is ultimately Snyder's to make.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:38 am

He needs to plant his feet firmly in the ground and stand pat on this one.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 am

The team started off with its usual tactic of ignoring this one. With the intense media pressure the issue has generated, it's important that Snyder demonstrate that he understands the other side of the argument and is actively listening and engaged. You couldn't help but notice his pointing this out in the letter that was sent out to fans. I actually think Goodell is in our corner on this one and can help the team show the public in an appropriate way that they care . . . without actually changing the name, of course. Just my My 2 cents.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:27 am

Irn-Bru wrote:The team started off with its usual tactic of ignoring this one. With the intense media pressure the issue has generated, it's important that Snyder demonstrate that he understands the other side of the argument and is actively listening and engaged. You couldn't help but notice his pointing this out in the letter that was sent out to fans. I actually think Goodell is in our corner on this one and can help the team show the public in an appropriate way that they care . . . without actually changing the name, of course. Just my My 2 cents.

+1 - Dan is going to get together with Roger and the 2 of them will figure out a way for this to be 'managed' going forward

Dan does NOT need to 'stand firm' or make silly statements - he needs to do whatever it takes to make it seem like he's understanding etc. etc. and just keep the name

same for Roger - he wants to make sure the NFL is proactive and at the same time he's VERY aware he cannot actually force Dan to change the name

these 2 need to 'handle' this just like the politicians … make it seem like you're doing what the people want and then do absolutely nothing … all with the proper amount of 'respect', of course :roll:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 am

I'm not arguing whether its right or wrong. But I seriously think that the NFL is going to make them do *something* to address this issue. Its not an issue the NFL wants to see being debated week after week, and simply saying "NO" may not be enough anymore.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 am

Change the logo back to the arrow head and the name to the skins... And call it a day already. This is absurd.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 am

Change the logo back to the arrow head and the name to the skins... And call it a day already. This is absurd.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Good for Dan. If we lose our name we lose so much history. We will be like the Ravens, Titans, Buccaneers, etc. The next thing you know our uniforms will be changed to look like pajamas, like those teams. We will have the look and feel of an expansion team. Good for Dan.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:The team started off with its usual tactic of ignoring this one. With the intense media pressure the issue has generated, it's important that Snyder demonstrate that he understands the other side of the argument and is actively listening and engaged. You couldn't help but notice his pointing this out in the letter that was sent out to fans. I actually think Goodell is in our corner on this one and can help the team show the public in an appropriate way that they care . . . without actually changing the name, of course. Just my My 2 cents.

Nailed it!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Put out a documentary on the origination of the name, and tell those offended to buzz off.

It's a dumb argument.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:24 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Change the logo back to the arrow head and the name to the skins... And call it a day already. This is absurd.

I wonder if that isn't going to be the first appeasement step (changing the logo). That alone could show good faith and cool things down perhaps, but some people need a fight to get meaning out of their lives.

I still dig the arrow logo.

Hog

Re: Name Changee News

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 am

Man, I don't know. It is starting to look inevitable, which sucks. I'll still love 'em like before, but it won't be quite the same. You fellas probably feel the same way. All because of some yokels who don't have enough to deal with in living, period, but have to actually seek out additional ways to suffer or feel aggrieved. Total, unequivocal BS. See, the thing about political correctness is, once you give in on the first issue there's another, then another, ad infinitum. It never ends. Thus it stands to reason that it should not be allowed to begin whenever and wherever possible.

Thoughts?
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Hog

Re: Name Change News

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:16 am

Well if we have to change the name Redskins, you better get on the phone with Notre Dame and tell them they must follow suit. As an American of Irish decent, I am appalled at the depiction of my race as a bunch of drunks always looking for a good donnybrook. Oh, and get Hal Steinbrenner on the phone too. As someone from New York, I do not like to be called a 'damn yankee' by southerners. It hurts my feelings.

JSPB22

Re:

Postby Deadskins » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:05 am

gregory smith wrote:Good for Dan. If we lose our name we lose so much history. We will be like the Ravens, Titans, Buccaneers, etc.

I get the Ravens and Titans (although the Ravens actually started new, and left the Browns' history to Cleveland), but the Buccaneers? That was their name from the get go.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Re:

Postby Deadskins » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Change the logo back to the arrow head and the name to the skins... And call it a day already. This is absurd.

I wonder if that isn't going to be the first appeasement step (changing the logo). That alone could show good faith and cool things down perhaps, but some people need a fight to get meaning out of their lives.

I still dig the arrow logo.

The whole argument is over the name, not the logo. Really, it's not either so much as the use of Indians as mascots across the board. But they know they can make headway with the name because so many non-Indians mistakenly perceive it to be racist.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football