The Situation in Miami

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
Hog

The Situation in Miami

Postby ACW » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:38 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jona ... lub-110313
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99261 ... han-martin
Man, thank goodness Martin was able to walk away instead of doing something terrible. Sad situation. This goes beyond typical rookie hazing. And BTW, 30k may not SEEM like much to an NFL player, but for a rookie making the league minimum of 30k, that's like 3k on a 40k salary...not crippling, but not pocket change.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Skins History Buff

Re: The Situation in Miami

Postby welch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:07 pm

And then this, from Deadspin:

Looks possible that Richie Incognito's father has been smearing Martin on a Dolphins board.

http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognito ... socialflow

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Just despicable. Hazing, properly done, is an important team building activity... unfortunately, it requires the use of judgement...an all too rare commodity these days. Richie Incognito will likely disappear from the league... finally. Wouldn't be surprised to hear of criminal charges... what a jerk.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Bill Polian tonight pointed out that hazing is NOT common in the NFL at all anymore and only a few franchises still 'participate' with this archaic activity

Incognito will very likely never play in the NFL again - what an absolute waste of a person this guy is

despicable behavior

how in the world did the other vets allow this pig to get away with this
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Postby yupchagee » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Incognito puts new meaning in the term "offensive" lineman.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:37 am

And even if hazing IS common, this goes FAR beyond it. Making a rookie pay for dinner? Fine. When that dinner is 30k? Not so much.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 am

SkinsJock wrote:Bill Polian tonight pointed out that hazing is NOT common in the NFL at all anymore and only a few franchises still 'participate' with this archaic activity

Incognito will very likely never play in the NFL again - what an absolute waste of a person this guy is

despicable behavior

how in the world did the other vets allow this pig to get away with this
I don't understand why he would say this, but a large number of players interviewed over the past 18 hours clearly dispute that... Perhaps Bill is out of touch...

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 am

ACW wrote:And even if hazing IS common, this goes FAR beyond it. Making a rookie pay for dinner? Fine. When that dinner is 30k? Not so much.

Clearly, this has crossed over to bullying at best, but more likely criminal harassment, extortion, or worse. I was blown away when Miami was desperate enough to pick up this ass hat... they are now reaping what they deserved... I don't feel bad for the franchise, in the least.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:41 am

Countertrey wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Bill Polian tonight pointed out that hazing is NOT common in the NFL at all anymore and only a few franchises still 'participate' with this archaic activity - Incognito will very likely never play in the NFL again - what an absolute waste of a person this guy is
I don't understand why he would say this, but a large number of players interviewed over the past 18 hours clearly dispute that... Perhaps Bill is out of touch...

He was on ESPN before the game … he clearly was downplaying the practice … from all accounts - I would agree that hazing is fairly common in the NFL

Bill may have been referring to franchises where hazing is perhaps a little 'stronger' …

I do not know …
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:55 am

1. Icognito is a POS. But that was already well known.
2. Martin... Martin is a pushover. No man is going to make me pay for his vacation.

If I was the HC, Martin wouldn't be on my team next year. He's striking me as a person who's just big, but really a teddy bear inside. I don't want a teddy bear on my offensive line. lol
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Hazing is making a rookie carry your helmet, or taping him to a goal post. What Incognito did isn't hazing, it's abuse.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Deadskins wrote:Hazing is making a rookie carry your helmet, sing a song, or taping him to a goal post. What Incognito did isn't hazing, it's abuse.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Hazing is making a rookie carry your helmet, sing a song, or taping him to a goal post. What Incognito did isn't hazing, it's abuse.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hog

Postby ACW » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm

DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:28 pm

A comment that caught my attention yesterday: someone in the NFL said, approximately, "Richie Incognito is tough as nails. He's the guy you want beside you in a bar-fight".

My off-beat thought: in 2004, when Incognito was messing around at one of the colleges where he didn't study, my daughter-in-law was at the most protected base in Iraq...where they were mortared for five minutes or so every night. Her comment? "Don't worry. A lot of people have it really bad". A mortar round bounced off her trailer one night and failed to explode. Her comment? "The EOD guys are awesome. It was touchy, but they detonated the thing and the worst we suffered was a lot of dirt flying. They are skilled and brave".

In 2007, our son was deployed and our daugter-in-law was up at 5am every morning, driving our infant grandson to the base day-care, then running with her unit for an hour, then working all day, then taking grandson home, feeding him, getting him to sleep, and preparing to do it again the next day.

My daughter-in-law and all the other Soldiers and Marines are "tough as nails". Unlike Richie Incognito, they don't get paid a million dollars a year, and they talk softly, they don't boast and they don't bully. This is not exactly NFL-related, but it helps me keep a perspective on what sports writers call "tough".

Return to Around the League