Washington Post Article on RGIII

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Washington Post Article on RGIII

Postby SKINS#1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Just read the following article about RGIII - "Robert Griffin III isn’t getting better; does he realize he needs to?"

In the article Tim Hasselbeck made the following comment - one problem with this Redskins offense is that Griffin doesn’t seem to have graduated to the next level of decision-making. He is not scanning the field and responding to defenses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

I sure hope after the rest of this season and spring training this is a non-issue when the season starts in 2014.

Hog

Re: Washington Post Article on RGIII

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Don't let it bother you. Tim Hasselbeck has more credibility and everyone knew coming out of college that Robert was a bit of a project. He wasn't in a pro style offense. He has way more upside IMO than Luck. As far as Sally, ask what her opinion is on performance enhancers. :)

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:54 pm

I was going to try to write a paragraph or two in response to this piece, but I found it difficult to criticize because Jenkins is in full "I'm just asking questions" mode — basically admitting that there isn't much to substantiate what she's implying, but still setting herself up for an "I told you so" article down the line if RGIII fails to improve. Lots of fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

There's another name for this approach, by the way, which I sometimes prefer to use: Jenkins is JAQing off.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:Just read the following article about RGIII - "Robert Griffin III isn’t getting better; does he realize he needs to?"

In the article Tim Hasselbeck made the following comment - one problem with this Redskins offense is that Griffin doesn’t seem to have graduated to the next level of decision-making. He is not scanning the field and responding to defenses.

I sure hope after the rest of this season and spring training this is a non-issue when the season starts in 2014.
Generally, when I see the byline "Sally Jenkins", I stop reading. She's a bitter one trick pony, with a fully loaded agenda of negative cherry-picking.

Bob needed a full off-season of work to improve his pocket skills and presence. Given a full off-season, I have no doubt that his pocket skills will improve... it will continue to be a project into next season, I think, but at some point, the game will slow down for him, and he will begin to consistently recognize what defenses are doing beyond the front 7, which will improve his ability to anticipate his receiver's reads, find the soft spots that will be available in the zones, and take advantage of the weak spot in an out-of-balance defense. It's that ability to dissect the defense that makes running a progression possible.

Having said that, I still think it will be several years before he truly becomes a dangerous pocket passer. (See Randall Cunningham)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Irn-Bru wrote: There's another name for this approach, by the way, which I sometimes prefer to use: Jenkins is JAQing off.

Thanks for that... I don't think I'll sleep for several days, now. I may have to rip my "mind's eye" from it's socket. ](*,)

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Here's some eye candy to help erase the image, and a more optimistic approach to RGIII's long-term chances. A nice balance to Jenkins' blather:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/11/04/ro ... rass-grow/
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote: There's another name for this approach, by the way, which I sometimes prefer to use: Jenkins is JAQing off.

Thanks for that... I don't think I'll sleep for several days, now. I may have to rip my "mind's eye" from it's socket. ](*,)

Continuing to even make innuendo type references about Sally 'look at my penis' Jenkins is grounds for a permanent ban. ;-)

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:00 pm

admin wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Continuing to even make innuendo type references about Sally 'look at my penis' Jenkins is grounds for a permanent ban. ;-)

Yes, but she will tell you her's is bigger than your's ;)
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Here's some eye candy to help erase the image, and a more optimistic approach to RGIII's long-term chances. A nice balance to Jenkins' blather:

1. It is interesting to note that the throw in the first quarter out of the end zone that was behind a WIDE OPEN Pierre Garcon that nearly every one blamed Robert for, was in fact off target because the line failed to block 3 rushers in max protect coverage. As the article notes, its pretty hard to throw accurately with a 300 pound body hitting you at the apex of your throwing motion.

2. Unsurprisingly, the majority of this article's review of Griffin passing that is off seems to lay the blame at lack of protection. I find this interesting because it seems to indicate that Griffin's "inability" read the defense is more (not all, mind you) the result of "no time" to read the defense.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Here's some eye candy to help erase the image, and a more optimistic approach to RGIII's long-term chances. A nice balance to Jenkins' blather:

Thanks for providing that link. It's fantastic.

I sat next to Kendall Simmons at a company dinner a couple nights ago. Kendall was an offensive guard for the Steelers for 8 years, former first round pick. He's been watching RG3, and he told me that to him the biggest issue with RG3 (apart from him taking some just nasty shots) is that he plays behind an offensive line that in his opinion only has 2 legit NFL starters (Montgomery is ok, and Williams is good). We really need to upgrade that position before RG3 gets David Carr-itis...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:56 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:Just read the following article about RGIII - "Robert Griffin III isn’t getting better; does he realize he needs to?"

WRONG - the article is incorrect …

RG3 is getting better each week and is adapting to the type of QB and the offensive game planning that Kyle wants

Kyle will (Mike will not let him continue like this) make better use of his QB, RB, TE and wideouts - he has already adapted from the early debacles

we have seen some bad passes and some bad mistakes from RG3 but he is getting a lot better in his new role and I think that as Kyle learns to take more advantage of the weapons he has, things will work a lot more smoothly

I also think that the O line play has been a major disappointment - RG3 has not had much time on too many occasions
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:15 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I also think that the O line play has been a major disappointment - RG3 has not had much time on too many occasions

Why is Morris/Helu doing so well in the running game then?

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:17 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I also think that the O line play has been a major disappointment - RG3 has not had much time on too many occasions

Because pass protection is different than run blocking?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:24 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:

well - just maybe because the D is not looking for the run and the RBs are doing a great job :D
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:10 pm

emoses14 wrote:

1. It is interesting to note that the throw in the first quarter out of the end zone that was behind a WIDE OPEN Pierre Garcon that nearly every one blamed Robert for, was in fact off target because the line failed to block 3 rushers in max protect coverage. As the article notes, its pretty hard to throw accurately with a 300 pound body hitting you at the apex of your throwing motion.

2. Unsurprisingly, the majority of this article's review of Griffin passing that is off seems to lay the blame at lack of protection. I find this interesting because it seems to indicate that Griffin's "inability" read the defense is more (not all, mind you) the result of "no time" to read the defense.

I've said many times that this O-line is not capable of consistent pass protection... and, generally, I agree conclusion. HOWEVER, a more seasoned pocket passer would have a better success in finding and hitting his hot read, than Griff, and would likely have found a few of those wide open receivers that Bob never looked at... simply because, with practice, the game slows down, thinking becomes automatic. Bob simply hasn't had the "not under fire" time to learn all that... and probably still hasn't developed a full understanding of what defenses are doing to him on the back end. Again... that takes time that Bob hasn't had.

I'm not worried... he's going to get it. He's too smart, too disciplined, too talented, too sharp, too gutsy, too driven... not to.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football