Name Change News

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Name Change News

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:06 am

I'm against the name change, and I don't think that people who are against the name change are trying to say what should or shouldn't offend Native Americans. I think the majority of the people pushing the name change are the ones planting the seeds about how much the Native Americans should be offended by it. Which is stupid.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4856
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:19 am

SkinsJock wrote:there are always going to be people who will be over the top on BOTH sides of 'issues' like this
and
who will continue to justify their thinking even when it's time to just move on :)


I understand your point, but I don't completely agree about the "both sides" thing. I really haven't seen a lot of the anti-name people being "over the top" on the issue. For the most part, their case has been "We find the name offensive for these reasons, we're asking you to change it." There is this really loud, annoying element of the pro-name side who have to defend the name with ludicrous arguments ("What about the pirates who are offended?? derrrr!!!!"), denigrating the people they disagree with and generally sounding like Rush Limbaugh buffoons.

I could be wrong about the anti-name people, I'm just not sure what they've said that is "over the top". I guess if they were saying the team was being intentionally racist or something that would qualify. I guess you could argue that asking for the name to be changed in the first place is "over the top"?

Anyway, I've said this many times. I don't want to see the name changed. But I would like to see the team (and the fans) deal with the issue respectfully and quit acting like its a personal affront or a challenge to our constitutional rights.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4856
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:I'm against the name change, and I don't think that people who are against the name change are trying to say what should or shouldn't offend Native Americans.


Really? I'll bet you $50 I can go back through the two threads on this topic and copy 20 posts from people writing about why Native Americans shouldn't be offended by the name. Would you agree?

This is exactly my point. I think fans can (and should) support the name and still be men enough to admit that yeah, there may be a valid argument against the name. If you can do that, I think you can have a grown up discussion about resolving the issue.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16193
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Name Change News

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am

riggofan wrote:I guess if they were saying the team was being intentionally racist or something that would qualify.

They say that in almost every discussion on this topic. They also compare the name to the "N" word, which I think is over the top as well. But I agree with you on the Scandanavians being offended by the Vikings name and other similar arguments.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4856
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I guess if they were saying the team was being intentionally racist or something that would qualify.

They say that in almost every discussion on this topic. They also compare the name to the "N" word, which I think is over the top as well. But I agree with you on the Scandanavians being offended by the Vikings name and other similar arguments.


Really? You've honestly seen or heard the name change crowd make the case that Dan Snyder is using the name "Redskins" to intentionally disparage Native Americans? I don't know if I buy that. I just don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that, would be interested to see a link or quote or something. I think the argument is more about ignorance, than about being intentionally racist.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Re: Name Change News

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Google "Redskins" and a NFL team comes up.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16193
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Name Change News

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:49 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I guess if they were saying the team was being intentionally racist or something that would qualify.

They say that in almost every discussion on this topic. They also compare the name to the "N" word, which I think is over the top as well. But I agree with you on the Scandanavians being offended by the Vikings name and other similar arguments.


Really? You've honestly seen or heard the name change crowd make the case that Dan Snyder is using the name "Redskins" to intentionally disparage Native Americans? I don't know if I buy that. I just don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that, would be interested to see a link or quote or something. I think the argument is more about ignorance, than about being intentionally racist.

No, but I've seen George Preston Marshall being accused of naming the team that because he was a racist, and the fact that the Danny won't change the name showing that he is racist as well. There was a New York Times editorial a couple of weeks ago comparing Snyder's refusal to change the name to George Wallace standing in the schoolhouse door, and comparing Obama's weighing in to Kennedy working behind the scenes to get GPM to integrate the team. When I get home, I'll post a link to it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

cappster
Posts: 2988
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Humanist, at your service.

Re: Name Change News

Postby Cappster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:52 pm

No matter what, the will always be the "Sons of Washington" to me.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16193
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Name Change News

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:53 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I guess if they were saying the team was being intentionally racist or something that would qualify.

They say that in almost every discussion on this topic. They also compare the name to the "N" word, which I think is over the top as well. But I agree with you on the Scandanavians being offended by the Vikings name and other similar arguments.


Really? You've honestly seen or heard the name change crowd make the case that Dan Snyder is using the name "Redskins" to intentionally disparage Native Americans? I don't know if I buy that. I just don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that, would be interested to see a link or quote or something. I think the argument is more about ignorance, than about being intentionally racist.

No, but I've seen George Preston Marshall being accused of naming the team that because he was a racist, and the fact that the Danny won't change the name showing that he is racist as well. There was a New York Times editorial a couple of weeks ago comparing Snyder's refusal to change the name to George Wallace standing in the schoolhouse door, and comparing Obama's weighing in to Kennedy working behind the scenes to get GPM to integrate the team. Interestingly, Mike Wise's recent editorial used the exact same "Snyder on the wrong side of history" verbiage the NYT editorial did. When I get home, I'll post a link to it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Re: Name Change News

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Cappster wrote:No matter what, the will always be the "Sons of Washington" to me.


+10
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Name Change News

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:15 pm

riggofan wrote:Really? I'll bet you $50 I can go back through the two threads on this topic and copy 20 posts from people writing about why Native Americans shouldn't be offended by the name. Would you agree?

This is exactly my point. I think fans can (and should) support the name and still be men enough to admit that yeah, there may be a valid argument against the name. If you can do that, I think you can have a grown up discussion about resolving the issue.

Should have said the majority of people who want to keep the name. But both sides are using the "yeah you should be offended" or "no way should they be offended" arguments. It's silly. It's a sports team name.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16193
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Name Change News

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Deadskins wrote:When I get home, I'll post a link to it.

http://p.nytimes.com/email/re?location= ... &regi_id=0
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Name Change News

Postby hanburgerheel » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 am

My brother and I were at the HHH Metrodome for the Vikings game and were decked-out in full Redskin regalia and did not see ONE, SINGLE PROTESTOR anywhere around the entire stadium! We saw no one.

Hog
Posts: 1800
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: Name Change News

Postby grampi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:37 am

riggofan wrote:
grampi wrote:I KNOW I'm part of the majority...it's no big secret that the vast majority of people want the Redskins name to stay, so I don't see how anyone could think I'm part of ANY fringe group...


Oh you're clearly part of a fringe.


How do you figure? It's a fact that MOST people want the name change issue to go away and for the name to remain the same...

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Name Change News

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:11 am

hanburgerheel wrote:My brother and I were at the HHH Metrodome for the Vikings game and were decked-out in full Redskin regalia and did not see ONE, SINGLE PROTESTOR anywhere around the entire stadium! We saw no one.

They showed hundreds of them on television last night.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football