Name Change News

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5032
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 am

grampi wrote:
riggofan wrote:
grampi wrote:I KNOW I'm part of the majority...it's no big secret that the vast majority of people want the Redskins name to stay, so I don't see how anyone could think I'm part of ANY fringe group...


Oh you're clearly part of a fringe.


How do you figure? It's a fact that MOST people want the name change issue to go away and for the name to remain the same...


I want the name to remain the same too, but I completely disagree with your arguments and your opinion of the opposition. So, one of us is in the fringe. I'm going with you and your nutty tea party arguments.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16260
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Name Change News

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:57 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
hanburgerheel wrote:My brother and I were at the HHH Metrodome for the Vikings game and were decked-out in full Redskin regalia and did not see ONE, SINGLE PROTESTOR anywhere around the entire stadium! We saw no one.

They showed hundreds of them on television last night.

Really? When? I must have been peeing or something.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Name Change News

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 am

Deadskins wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
hanburgerheel wrote:My brother and I were at the HHH Metrodome for the Vikings game and were decked-out in full Redskin regalia and did not see ONE, SINGLE PROTESTOR anywhere around the entire stadium! We saw no one.

They showed hundreds of them on television last night.

Really? When? I must have been peeing or something.

I think it was immediately after the game went off, they switched to NBC News 4 and showed an aerial shot of it. Or mabye it was a commercial promo for the upcoming news. Either way, there was a lot of people protesting.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16260
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Name Change News

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:19 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Really? When? I must have been peeing or something.

I think it was immediately after the game went off, they switched to NBC News 4 and showed an aerial shot of it. Or mabye it was a commercial promo for the upcoming news. Either way, there was a lot of people protesting.

I'm in Atlanta, I don't get the local DC news. I watched the game on NFLN
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5032
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 pm

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/11/0 ... fore-game/

Nearly 700 protesters marched 20 blocks to the Metrodome on Thursday night, rallying in hopes that the Washington Redskins football team will change its mascot name, as the squad was in town to play the Minnesota Vikings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5032
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 pm

grampi wrote:How do you figure? It's a fact that MOST people want the name change issue to go away and for the name to remain the same...


Btw why do you think this is even a relevant fact? Most people want the name to stay the same so therefore we shouldn't change it? That's completely false.

I'm sure in 1920 the majority of men were against allowing women to vote. Did that somehow mean they were right because they were "in the majority"? Was George Wallace right to block the doors because the majority of people in Alabama were against integration?

I'm not arguing that these situations are comparable to the name change. But popular opinion and being "in the majority" does not mean what you're implying it does.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ
Posts: 13745
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: Name Change News

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:15 pm

it does not really matter about how many OR why people are offended by the team's name …
all that matters is that Dan Snyder has considered the pros and cons and he has decided that the name is not offensive TO HIM

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS - it's his team and he does not feel that the name is offensive

END OF STORY :lol:

I hope those that are offended take great offense at the fact that Roger Goodell is not forcing Dan to change the name - he's an ass
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5032
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:13 pm

SkinsJock wrote:it does not really matter about how many OR why people are offended by the team's name …
all that matters is that Dan Snyder has considered the pros and cons and he has decided that the name is not offensive TO HIM

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS - it's his team and he does not feel that the name is offensive


Yeah, yeah, nobody can legally change the name but Dan Snyder. What does that have to do with anything?

It doesn't change the fact that there is a loud public debate about the name going on right now. It doesn't change the facts of the argument or the fact that 700+ people were out there protesting or that the national media is hammering him on it. The issue isn't whether or not Snyder can or wants to change the name. The issue is whether or not the Native Americans can bring enough pressure on him to make him change the name.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ
Posts: 13745
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: Name Change News

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:44 pm

I guess my point is that Dan has heard from the fans, he has discussed the issue with Roger and he has thought about the concerns of those that feel the name is offensive and should be changed

AFTER all that thought and consideration, Dan has decided to keep the name …

it appears that there are still people that are convinced that some how, some way, Dan should be made to change the name ….

WHY - he thought about it and he's decided to keep the name

END OF STORY

those that do not agree should stop wasting everyone's time by continuing a 'debate' that is OVER
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

08 Champ
Posts: 13745
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: Name Change News

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:49 pm

riggofan - do you honestly think that there is even a slight chance that Dan Snyder is going to change his mind

that's the answer - now, we all know that those opposed to the name do not really know Snyder very well but someone should 'educate' them and MAYBE they could spend their energies trying (I'm sure this will not be easy) to do something worthwhile …. for a change :lol:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: Name Change News

Postby grampi » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:09 am

riggofan...Here is why I don't think the people protesting the team name have a legitimate argument. The team name, used in this context, is being used in a positive way. There is nothing derogatory about naming a sports team the Redskins, or any other Indian name for that matter. Now if someone, or some organization was calling this group, or any other group of native Americans Redskins, THEN they would have a reason to protest. As it is, the protesters are misdirecting their anger, and I believe they know it's misdirected and are doing so solely because they know going this route will garner them the most media attention. And what's with the Tea Party comment? Does literally EVERYTHING have to be tied to some political position?

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11123
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Name Change News

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 am

SkinsJock wrote:riggofan - do you honestly think that there is even a slight chance that Dan Snyder is going to change his mind


I'm worried that could be the case. Snyder is strong-willed, no doubt, but the public pressure has been intense. I think he survives this particular wave, though, which should set things up for another 10 years or so. (Maybe I'm being excessively optimistic.)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ
Posts: 13745
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Re: Name Change News

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:08 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:riggofan - do you honestly think that there is even a slight chance that Dan Snyder is going to change his mind


I'm worried that could be the case. Snyder is strong-willed, no doubt, but the public pressure has been intense. I think he survives this particular wave, though, which should set things up for another 10 years or so. (Maybe I'm being excessively optimistic.)


I believe that, while there has been a lot of pressure, Snyder thinks he's got a lot of support to keep the name and that he's being 'bullied' to make a change …
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

the 'mudge
Posts: 14799
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Name Change News

Postby Countertrey » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:40 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:it does not really matter about how many OR why people are offended by the team's name …
all that matters is that Dan Snyder has considered the pros and cons and he has decided that the name is not offensive TO HIM

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS - it's his team and he does not feel that the name is offensive


Yeah, yeah, nobody can legally change the name but Dan Snyder. What does that have to do with anything?

It doesn't change the fact that there is a loud public debate about the name going on right now. It doesn't change the facts of the argument or the fact that 700+ people were out there protesting or that the national media is hammering him on it. The issue isn't whether or not Snyder can or wants to change the name. The issue is whether or not the Native Americans can bring enough pressure on him to make him change the name.

700??? Seriously??? A whole 700???? Wow... that's clearly a major protest...

Many of them were wearing insensitive Vikings accoutrements, btw... [-X
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Name Change News

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:riggofan - do you honestly think that there is even a slight chance that Dan Snyder is going to change his mind


I'm worried that could be the case. Snyder is strong-willed, no doubt, but the public pressure has been intense. I think he survives this particular wave, though, which should set things up for another 10 years or so. (Maybe I'm being excessively optimistic.)


I believe it is coming and I hope I am wrong. For example... In the PC world things change as in the words negro,African American, Black and so on. If you were to call a group something, that was used and never meant to be an insult, they still might be offended (even if they call themselves that and that is the pc way of putting things at that time). In this case I believe it is Snyders fault for saying NEVER in caps. I laughed when he said it, but now I wished he never did.

It was probably just going to blow over like usual if he never said that. I am also looking at the tiny group that was offended that is now growing because people are telling them they should be offended and what wrongs with you join the cause. This snowball rolling down the hill is getting bigger. If it goes to court and the Redskins win it still wont end until the Supreme court judges it. I know that sounds far fetched but, I am trying to explain how this can actually turn out to be what we thought would never happen. There is also the pressure (financially) that could change his mind.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football