Name Change News

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Name Change News

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:31 pm

You know I wanted to write this earlier but I thought some people might get offended. This has everything to do, and has context to this thread.

When I was a young teen my brother and I were visiting my grandma in southern VA. We were standing on her porch and she was saying loud that the cutest little N couple just moved across the street. Well, you have to understand this was the 80s and she (grandma) was born in January 1rst 1900. These were old people to me. (the new neighbors) Well my bro said "grandma you can't say that. This is the 80s." Her reply was "What did I say wrong and who are you to tell me what I can or can't say?" I knew better than to say anything. I was embarrassed and I knew that the elderly couple across the street heard every word. They just smiled at me (knowingly).

The name Redskins was used by not only the white man but by American Indians themselves. The name is for a football team to recognize the fierceness of great warriors. It has nothing to do with any negative racial implications. Unfortunately this has become political.

Three native American friends of mine told me this about a decade ago.... One said "I am not a football fan, and I am not offended because it is it is an honor." Another said "hell no, it doesn't bother me." The last I asked and he said that "even though he isn't offended, I have to understand that the white man screwed us over and anything we can get back we will. He also said " I think it is meant to be an honor". He also told me "he had land on a reservation that he has never seen." I asked why and he said "that wasn't his home and was given to his family by our government that screwed us over."

This was about ten years ago for all three of them.

Dan Snyder is Jewish and don't you think he might have heard something about prejudice in his life?

The moral of this story is this is a non story and only a big deal to those that make it one.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:12 am
Location: Hemet CA

Re: Name Change News

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:03 am

Deadskins wrote:No, but I've seen George Preston Marshall being accused of naming the team that because he was a racist, and the fact that the Danny won't change the name showing that he is racist as well. There was a New York Times editorial a couple of weeks ago comparing Snyder's refusal to change the name to George Wallace standing in the schoolhouse door, and comparing Obama's weighing in to Kennedy working behind the scenes to get GPM to integrate the team. When I get home, I'll post a link to it.



This from Wikipedia re: the name origin: Well, shoot. Now I can't find it but I read recently where the name was thought to be an honorific alluding to Lone Star Dietz, one of their first coaches.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Hog
Posts: 1703
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: Name Change News

Postby grampi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:11 am

I've mentioned this before, and I'm gonna keep mentioning it until people get it, is the fact that most native Americans DO NOT find the name "Redskins" offensive. In light of this fact, it puzzles me that the issue continues on. If MOST native Americans were offended by the name, then I could see the issue having some merit, otherwise, where do we draw the line on these issues? Have we really come to the point in this society whereas if just one person is offended by something, the thing that's said to be offensive must be changed? The old saying "you can't please all the people all the time" still applies here....

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:46 am

grampi wrote:I've mentioned this before, and I'm gonna keep mentioning it until people get it, is the fact that most native Americans DO NOT find the name "Redskins" offensive. In light of this fact, it puzzles me that the issue continues on. If MOST native Americans were offended by the name, then I could see the issue having some merit, otherwise, where do we draw the line on these issues? Have we really come to the point in this society whereas if just one person is offended by something, the thing that's said to be offensive must be changed? The old saying "you can't please all the people all the time" still applies here....


Oh great. I see we have a spokesperson for the entire Native American population who knows what they want and feel and is happy to speak for them. Yay for old white guys!

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Name Change News

Postby hanburgerheel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 pm

riggofan wrote:
grampi wrote:I've mentioned this before, and I'm gonna keep mentioning it until people get it, is the fact that most native Americans DO NOT find the name "Redskins" offensive. In light of this fact, it puzzles me that the issue continues on. If MOST native Americans were offended by the name, then I could see the issue having some merit, otherwise, where do we draw the line on these issues? Have we really come to the point in this society whereas if just one person is offended by something, the thing that's said to be offensive must be changed? The old saying "you can't please all the people all the time" still applies here....


Oh great. I see we have a spokesperson for the entire Native American population who knows what they want and feel and is happy to speak for them. Yay for old white guys!



He's not "the spokesperson" at all. He's merely relaying what has become common knowledge. 80-90% of those asked are not offended.

The use of a word as a sports mascot is not meant or intended to offend. People seem to have a difficult time understanding that words are innocuous. The WAY they are USED- the intent by the person saying them- is where there can be disrespect. No one is denying Indians a ticket, or season tickets, or charging them more for tickets and concessions. They aren't being forced to sit ina certain section and denied the use of the stadium restrooms. There is no inequality being perpetrated here, or even implied.

White People Guilt
is ruining this country! This is simple: Don't make the same mistake as your great-great-grandfather may have made by thinking you are superior to others based on your ethnicity. The words you use to convey those thoughts are really irrelevant.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Name Change News

Postby 1niksder » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:08 pm

”National Football League executives spoke Friday to an Oneida Indian who told them he was not offended by the name of Washington’s football team, offering a starkly different perspective than the one they heard last week during a meeting with the Native American leader from the same New York tribe.

"The conversation between NFL officials and Melvin Phillips was arranged by his attorney, Claudia Tenney, a New York state assemblywoman who has been a vocal critic of Ray Halbritter, the Oneida Indian Nation representative who is behind a national campaign to change the team’s name.

"Tenney, who also participated in the conversation, which occurred over Skype, said it took place with Jeff Pash and Adolpho Birch, two of the three NFL vice presidents who met with Halbritter and other Oneida representatives Oct. 30.

“'I think we enlightened them,' said Tenney, a Republican who represents Oneida County in the state legislature. 'Their eyes were wide open and their ears were wide open. They asked a lot of questions and they took a lot of notes.'"



In the USA there are 2 million Native Americans enrolled in 566 federally recognized tribes, plus another 3.2 million who tell the Census they are Native American. In the only recent poll to ask native people about the subject, 90 percent of respondents did not consider the term "Redskins" offensive or racist.


ReGina Zuni is a full-blooded Isleta Pueblo resident of her reservation near Albuquerque and she is a third generation Washington Redskins fan. Here is what she wrote on the Facebook Save the Redskins page after seeing images of anti-Redskins protesters at the Redskins at Vikings game.

"Arguing with the Anti-Redskins sect is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good your argument the pigeon is going to knock over all the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it’s victorious."
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge
Posts: 14381
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Name Change News

Postby Countertrey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:44 pm

1niksder wrote:
ReGina Zuni is a full-blooded Isleta Pueblo resident of her reservation near Albuquerque and she is a third generation Washington Redskins fan. Here is what she wrote on the Facebook Save the Redskins page after seeing images of anti-Redskins protesters at the Redskins at Vikings game.

"Arguing with the Anti-Redskins sect is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good your argument the pigeon is going to knock over all the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it’s victorious."
Best commentary EVER!!!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ
Posts: 13156
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Name Change News

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Countertrey wrote:
1niksder wrote: ReGina Zuni is a full-blooded Isleta Pueblo resident of her reservation near Albuquerque and she is a third generation Washington Redskins fan. Here is what she wrote on the Facebook Save the Redskins page after seeing images of anti-Redskins protesters at the Redskins at Vikings game.
"Arguing with the Anti-Redskins sect is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good your argument the pigeon is going to knock over all the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it’s victorious."
Best commentary EVER!!!


waiting patiently for our buddy riggofan to come up with something …… anything …… :twisted:


btw - what a great analogy :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:27 pm

SkinsJock wrote:waiting patiently for our buddy riggofan to come up with something …… anything …… :twisted:


btw - what a great analogy :D


I think it is a great analogy too. What's great about it is that you can say the EXACT same thing about some of the people who are PRO-Redskins. :)

"We're right because we found one Native American who likes the name! Woo-hoo!! Victory! We're pretty sure the majority of native americans all support the name! Woo-hoo! I heard it on Fox News I think!!"

I say 100% keep the name. Just quit trying to make up bs excuses to justify it and quit with the phony white victimization crap we have to hear from the Rush Limbaugh set like Grampi.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:37 pm

hanburgerheel wrote:He's not "the spokesperson" at all. He's merely relaying what has become common knowledge. 80-90% of those asked are not offended.


80%-90% of who? Asked by who? Where are you getting this information? I think there have been like two polls, conflicting no less, done in the past ten years.

Common knowledge? What a freaking joke. 33% of Americans still believe Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11. Remember Gallup telling us the day before the election that Romney was going to win? A lot of people believe what they want to believe is true.

I don't personally claim to know what the majority of Native Americans feel about that name, and I'm 100% sure YOU don't know either.

And just so it doesn't get lost in this discussion, I am in favor of keeping the name.

Hog
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Name Change News

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:48 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:waiting patiently for our buddy riggofan to come up with something …… anything …… :twisted:


btw - what a great analogy :D


I think it is a great analogy too. What's great about it is that you can say the EXACT same thing about some of the people who are PRO-Redskins. :)

"We're right because we found one Native American who likes the name! Woo-hoo!! Victory! We're pretty sure the majority of native americans all support the name! Woo-hoo! I heard it on Fox News I think!!"

I say 100% keep the name. Just quit trying to make up bs excuses to justify it and quit with the phony white victimization crap we have to hear from the Rush Limbaugh set like Grampi.


Riggofan honestly... I understand your position I think but, have there been any polls taken to support any other way of looking at it? What can be done to change the majorities eyes? If the majority is wrong or if keeping the name is wrong, then what justifies changing the name? Suppose there are people that think it is ok to not have rules, and just suppose these people are the minority.... Where does it stop? Where is the line drawn? Imagine having your own business/restaurant and someone says "I am offended because they call it the Meat Factory because I am a vegetarian." Well, I guess the best thing to do even though the majority doesn't find it offense, is to change the name right?

Trust me, I understand being in your shoes I believe. There are two sides of the coin though.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14381
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Name Change News

Postby Countertrey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Folks... Please keep your replies civil. Post within the rules, please, or we will find this thread locked.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
Posts: 1703
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: Name Change News

Postby grampi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 pm

riggofan wrote:
grampi wrote:I've mentioned this before, and I'm gonna keep mentioning it until people get it, is the fact that most native Americans DO NOT find the name "Redskins" offensive. In light of this fact, it puzzles me that the issue continues on. If MOST native Americans were offended by the name, then I could see the issue having some merit, otherwise, where do we draw the line on these issues? Have we really come to the point in this society whereas if just one person is offended by something, the thing that's said to be offensive must be changed? The old saying "you can't please all the people all the time" still applies here....


Oh great. I see we have a spokesperson for the entire Native American population who knows what they want and feel and is happy to speak for them. Yay for old white guys!
It's called reading poll results, but then again, after reading your posts, that might be something that's too difficult for you to handle...

Hog
Posts: 1703
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: Name Change News

Postby grampi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 pm

riggofan wrote:
hanburgerheel wrote:He's not "the spokesperson" at all. He's merely relaying what has become common knowledge. 80-90% of those asked are not offended.


80%-90% of who? Asked by who? Where are you getting this information? I think there have been like two polls, conflicting no less, done in the past ten years.

Common knowledge? What a freaking joke. 33% of Americans still believe Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11. Remember Gallup telling us the day before the election that Romney was going to win? A lot of people believe what they want to believe is true.

I don't personally claim to know what the majority of Native Americans feel about that name, and I'm 100% sure YOU don't know either.

And just so it doesn't get lost in this discussion, I am in favor of keeping the name.


That's hilarious! You sound more like one of the protesters...

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Name Change News

Postby riggofan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:52 am

grampi wrote:It's called reading poll results, but then again, after reading your posts, that might be something that's too difficult for you to handle...


Good one.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football