What Happened???

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Re: What Happened???

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:21 pm

I just saw this and it makes getting rid of Shanahan even stronger:

Only one Redskins coach ever — Bill McPeak — has reached a fifth season with as sorry a winning percentage as Shanahan’s .421. Norv Turner was .454 at 49-59-1 from 1994 to 2000 and was considered a big disappointment. Like Shanahan, Turner inherited an aging team with little remaining talent and a young quarterback, but at least the former Cowboys offensive coordinator reached sustained mediocrity after two seasons.

Can we get Lovie Smith in here STAT!!!!

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Re: What Happened???

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:23 pm

1. Ray Flaherty 54-21-3, .720 (7)

2. George Allen 67-30-1, .691 (7)

3. Joe Gibbs 154-94, .621 (16)

4. Jack Pardee 24-24, .500 (3)

5. Turk Edwards 16-18-1, .471 (3)

6. Norv Turner 49-59-1, .454 (6)

7. Joe Kuharich 26-32-2, .448 (5)

8. Otto Graham 17-22-3, .436 (3)

9. Mike Shanahan 24-33, .421 (3+)

10. Bill McPeak 21-46-3, .313 (5)


I think this list speaks for itself as well......

B-rad
Online
User avatar
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Re: What Happened???

Postby brad7686 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:43 pm

I disagree with the notion that we would have to change our personnel a whole lot to fit the 4-3 again. Cofield was a 4-3 DT. Jenkins was a 4-3 DT. Rak and Kerrigan were 4-3 DE's. Fletcher is much better as a 4-3 LB. Riley could play strong side OLB. Rob Jackson could probably play weak OLB, or we could pick one up in FA for pretty cheap, because it's not a highly sought after position anymore.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16254
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: What Happened???

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm

brad7686 wrote:I disagree with the notion that we would have to change our personnel a whole lot to fit the 4-3 again. Cofield was a 4-3 DT. Jenkins was a 4-3 DT. Rak and Kerrigan were 4-3 DE's. Fletcher is much better as a 4-3 LB. Riley could play strong side OLB. Rob Jackson could probably play weak OLB, or we could pick one up in FA for pretty cheap, because it's not a highly sought after position anymore.

+1.
Riley would be a MLB. I don't think London has too much left in the tank.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Re: What Happened???

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:36 pm

brad7686 wrote:I disagree with the notion that we would have to change our personnel a whole lot to fit the 4-3 again. Cofield was a 4-3 DT. Jenkins was a 4-3 DT. Rak and Kerrigan were 4-3 DE's. Fletcher is much better as a 4-3 LB. Riley could play strong side OLB. Rob Jackson could probably play weak OLB, or we could pick one up in FA for pretty cheap, because it's not a highly sought after position anymore.


Kerrigan might be big enough to play 4-3 DE in the NFL, but Orakpo isn't even close enough to be a 4-3 DE and would never have been drafted in the first round to be a 4-3 DE. Heck we were running a 4-3 at the time and called him a DE/LB. He isn't a 4-3 end and never will be one in the NFL.

I'm fine with the 3-4, we just need to get a better DC and someone on the DL that can put push the middle of the pocket so when Kerrigan and Orakpo are getting held the QB can't step up and run for the first down. It is clear the NFL is allowing OT to hold/tackle our OLBs, but if we got any push from our DL they would still end up getting to the QB.

Some competent pass coverage skills from our safeties wouldn't hurt either, but I still say the biggest problem with our D rhymes with Masslet!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

**ch44
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What Happened???

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:They tried to frontload the contracts of both Hanesworth (and I believe Hall) to accelerate their contracts in a year that was deemed to have an unspoken salary cap.

I still have no idea what you're talking about. Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall were signed to the offending contracts in February 2009. Mike Shanahan was named head coach of the Skins in January 2010.

Vinny Cerrato and the Redskins FO at the time structured the Haynesworth/Hall deals to put the majority of the money in the uncapped year.

. . . But you want to pin the blame on Shanahan and Allen?

I agree that we got hosed, but this has been upheld by the league, the union, and the courts,

CT already knocked this out of the park, but I'll add one thing: the players' union didn't side with the Redskins because it was part of the new bargaining agreement that they wouldn't question the League on matters like these. (The NFLPA agreed to this in order to avoid a lower cap.)

So we've got Mara-Goodell ruling that the Skins broke an unwritten rule, the players' union having their hands tied by the NFL, and a court saying they couldn't make a ruling because it wasn't their jurisdiction. Hardly a ringing endorsement of the penalty.

so ultimately, I think the blame rests on the person or people in this case, that were trying to "work" the system. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

Do you realize yet that this means you can't blame Shanahan/Allen for it, by your own logic?


This would then be carried over to the lack of talent on the defense since I hear people say, well, we had a salary cap hit of 36 million so we suck on defense. Not having 1st round picks also can not be used as an excuse as they were the ones that gave them away.

They did not "give them away," they traded them for RGIII. You are trying to have this both ways, so I'd like you to choose one. Which is it: RGIII, or draft picks? You can't say it was a mistake to trade them away without also saying that drafting RGIII was a mistake. And if RGIII is not your QB, whom would you say we should have acquired?

Simply put, when are these coaches going to be judged on their work and have no more excuses???

I'm happy to judge Shanahan and Allen (and the rest) for their work. But the charges you brought against them largely fall flat. You've got some good things to say about the lack of talent on defense, bad coaching on defense, and the special teams mess, but everything else is contrary to the facts.


I understand what happened, and how we got screwed, but ULTIMATELY it was found to be a penalty and is being used as an excuse. And I understand they didn't GIVE away picks. Please stop reading literally into my posts. You understand what I was saying. But the fact remains that they traded away picks for a QB and it still remains to be seen if that was a good move or not, but it's now being used as an excuse. And this is all fine. I'm not arguing you on how or what happened and it seems as if you are saying these are VALID excuses. OK I'm in agreement with you. Great. But in the same breath, you say that I've got some good points on Haslett and Burns...but understand, that you can't use these excuses to give Shannahan and Allen a pass and not Haslett and Burns. So while you think that using my logic doesn't make sense to blame Shannahan and Allen, please understand that you can't use it to blame the defense and special teams. So which is it? WHEN are we supposed to judge these coaches on their ability to coach? Next year two more years...another 4? Set some expectations bud.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4984
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: What Happened???

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:36 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:But the fact remains that they traded away picks for a QB and it still remains to be seen if that was a good move or not, but it's now being used as an excuse. And this is all fine.


Interesting comments. I can't say that I've ever really heard the missing draft picks from the RGIII trade used as an excuse for Shanahan. I mean, at this point its only really the one 2013 pick we're missing. (And given our finish last year not an especially high one.) No doubt we could use another first round stud on defense. But would anybody rather have, say, Ndamakong Suh right now and be starting Rex Grossman at QB instead of RGIII?

You're probably right that it remains to be seen whether RGIII was worth those picks. Avoiding injury this year would be a big step! Personally I feel better about the trade now than I did during that draft though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

**ch44
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What Happened???

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:25 pm

And I was trying to go back and figure out who was saying that this offense or playcalling is to blame. This is just a pathetic. Aren't we ranked like 5 in the NFL? And look at last week. There were only 5 teams out of 28 that scored more than us. I mean, you're telling me that we have to score 35 per week to win under this logic? Come on...

Other than the series against the Vikings where we didn't run once with 40 seconds to go on 1st and goal, I think the playcalling and offense has been pretty solid. The defense and special teams are the main problem. Has been for years. Love the 3-4, just can't figure out whether it's coaching or players that's the problem. The Steelers D looks very similar to what we look like this year and it's because they have some older players, like we have, and some rookies playing key positions, like we have. The coach is solid, so for them it's a transitional year for their personnel. We really need to start drafting LB's like we draft RB's for development. The Steelers do this better than anyone.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13687
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: RG3 support team

Re: What Happened???

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Let's not get carried away with thinking that going with a 4-3 defense makes this defense suddenly work - it will not

for those of you that want a 4-3 defense - do you really think the 4-3 'works' when the guys playing defense keep missing tackles and the secondary cannot cover anyone - do not tell me that - that's HOGWASH

OK

the only way you get REAL change here is to get rid of the HC - I'm not sure that's happening even if we end up at 7-9 or 8-8
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13687
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: RG3 support team

Re: What Happened???

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:45 pm

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that we have a future great QB in RG3 - NONE

there is no value you can put on having a great QB - you DO NOT have a consistently competitive team without a really good QB

RG3 will be the best Redskins QB ever - if you don't really see the potential, I'm sorry for you

Robert Griffin III is the best player we have added to this franchise in over 25 years
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16254
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: What Happened???

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Let's not get carried away with thinking that going with a 4-3 defense makes this defense suddenly work - it will not

for those of you that want a 4-3 defense - do you really think the 4-3 'works' when the guys playing defense keep missing tackles and the secondary cannot cover anyone - do not tell me that - that's HOGWASH

OK

the only way you get REAL change here is to get rid of the HC - I'm not sure that's happening even if we end up at 7-9 or 8-8

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't advocating a switch back to the 4-3, I was just agreeing that the personnel we now have could adjust to a 4-3 pretty easily.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16254
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: What Happened???

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Kerrigan might be big enough to play 4-3 DE in the NFL, but Orakpo isn't even close enough to be a 4-3 DE

That's nonsense. How would he not be able to rush the passer or provide contain on running plays any differently than he does now if the scheme was changed to a 4-3? The difference is that he wouldn't be required to drop into pass coverage (something the big guys can't do).
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13687
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: RG3 support team

Re: What Happened???

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Let's not get carried away with thinking that going with a 4-3 defense makes this defense suddenly work - it will not

for those of you that want a 4-3 defense - do you really think the 4-3 'works' when the guys playing defense keep missing tackles and the secondary cannot cover anyone - do not tell me that - that's HOGWASH

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't advocating a switch back to the 4-3, I was just agreeing that the personnel we now have could adjust to a 4-3 pretty easily.


OK - I'll buy that and while I think we're going to still have Mike here next season with the 3-4 defense that he and his buddy Bill Belicheat like ….

IF we did make a change at HC it might be a plus for the DC to switch back
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: What Happened???

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:19 pm

I understand what happened, and how we got screwed, but ULTIMATELY it was found to be a penalty and is being used as an excuse.

You don't think the Ravens, Giants, Patriots, etc. could struggle after losting $36 million? That is not an insignificant sum AT ALL. That Shanahan-Allen have managed it as well as they have, especially not mortgaging our future to compensate, is a huge point in their favor. It's not even an excuse, really.

But let's say it's a problem that someone deserves the blame for. Are you still saying that falls to Shanahan and Allen? Or do you agree that Vinny is responsible? You can't pin the $36 million on Shanahan if you recognize that he wasn't even here when the actions that resulted in the penalty took place.

And I understand they didn't GIVE away picks. Please stop reading literally into my posts. You understand what I was saying.

Actually, I wasn't sure, and I asked you to elaborate because you weren't being clear. On the one hand, you cited the traded draft picks as a negative against Shanahan and Allen. On the other, you never implied that drafting RGIII was a mistake, and I assume you think it's good we have him. That's a problem for the argument you were trying to make.


But the fact remains that they traded away picks for a QB and it still remains to be seen if that was a good move or not, but it's now being used as an excuse. And this is all fine. I'm not arguing you on how or what happened and it seems as if you are saying these are VALID excuses. OK I'm in agreement with you. Great.

As with the cap penalty, I don't think the traded draft picks are an excuse for Shanny. They were used to acquire RGIII; it's not like they disappeared.


But in the same breath, you say that I've got some good points on Haslett and Burns...but understand, that you can't use these excuses to give Shannahan and Allen a pass and not Haslett and Burns. So while you think that using my logic doesn't make sense to blame Shannahan and Allen, please understand that you can't use it to blame the defense and special teams. So which is it? WHEN are we supposed to judge these coaches on their ability to coach? Next year two more years...another 4? Set some expectations bud.

Shanahan has a contract year next year. For the first two years he did a solid job building a team and getting rid of the cruft from Vinny and Zorn. The improvement was evident. Then with our 2012 offseason we got some of the real starpower we need to compete.

This year there has clearly been regression. Shanahan told Snyder when he was hired to judge him on how the team looks at the end of his 5th year. I agree with that. If we don't improve next year, if we don't return to the form that got us to the playoffs, then definitely look at finding a new head coach.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: What Happened???

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:25 pm

riggofan wrote:Interesting comments. I can't say that I've ever really heard the missing draft picks from the RGIII trade used as an excuse for Shanahan. I mean, at this point its only really the one 2013 pick we're missing. (And given our finish last year not an especially high one.)

Exactly. I'm certainly not saying this, and I really haven't found anyone who's made it into an excuse. chiefhog is swinging at shadows with this one.

(Btw, we also traded a 2nd in that same draft, so we have felt the "loss" of two picks so far.)

No doubt we could use another first round stud on defense. But would anybody rather have, say, Ndamakong Suh right now and be starting Rex Grossman at QB instead of RGIII?

You're probably right that it remains to be seen whether RGIII was worth those picks. Avoiding injury this year would be a big step! Personally I feel better about the trade now than I did during that draft though.

Same here.

I also feel a little better that the Colts got so damn lucky, because they went and traded a 1st rounder to Cleveland for Trent 3.0 (or whatever he is now). Talk about a wasted pick. :lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football