Moss on Griffin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Moss on Griffin

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 am

Deadskins wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:Moss is 100% right in everything he said. Griffin needs to start taking the blame squarely on his shoulders and no one elses.

Yes, he is right, but he should be telling this directly to RGIII, not to LaVar.

Well yeah I agree with that. But I also think Griffin should refrain from a lot of his comments in his press conferences that could be misconstrued into something negative. Moss also brought up a good point about having PR people help the younger players in how they answer questions in interviews.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:46 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:You don't really believe that Griffin was trying to throw that away, do you?

I don't have a better explanation. It was obviously a bone-headed play either way, but I don't really see reason to think Griffin is lying about it.

His arm is plenty strong enough to have been able to throw that out of the end zone even falling back like he was. I think part of the reason for Moss' comments is that nobody really believes that Griffin was throwing it away, and it just sounds like an excuse.

Dunno. Could be. Too much speculation for me. I didn't hear the interview, but from the comments recorded here it sounds like Moss was really just mad that Griffin even involved the team in his error when he explained it.

Mike Jones had an interesting point on Twitter also, saying that Shanahan rarely ever says "I" or "me."

Meh. Shanahan rarely says anything of substance in a press conference. Every answer he gives goes something like "Well, any time you have a player [content of the question], you have to deal with it."

If Shanahan used "I" instead of an impersonal "you," people would accuse him of having a huge ego because he'd be saying it all the time. He's damned either way, so I don't see anything insightful here.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:24 am

Actually folks, Moss AND Garcon pulled RG3 aside and gave him the "Incognito" treatment.. it wasn't a big deal because all three involved were black so no racial comments were made public. (LOL).

Moss- "Dude, why can't you throw?"
RG3- "What? Man you can't catch a cold anymore."
Garcon- "Oh please, you throw like a 10 year old Brett Favre."
Moss- "If it wasn't for us making these crazy catches, Cousins would be starting."
RG3- "Well tell Kyle stop calling garbage plays."
Garcon- "Yes that's it, because on 3rd and 1 it was Kyle who said toss the ball in the air and let's see who catches it."
RG3- *Rolls Eyes* "I was going to run the ball but this brace made me afraid."
Moss- "All in for week 1 my a**"
Paulsen walking by- "Sup my ni***z?"
Moss/RG3/Moss- "Oh heeeell naw"

:lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:You don't really believe that Griffin was trying to throw that away, do you?

I don't have a better explanation. It was obviously a bone-headed play either way, but I don't really see reason to think Griffin is lying about it.

I didn't read that as him saying he was trying to throw it away. I read it as saying, I threw the ball up and was hoping one of my receivers would make a play for the ball. I think he was saying he put the ball where he wanted it, but no one on the skins even tried for it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Actually folks, Moss AND Garcon pulled RG3 aside and gave him the "Incognito" treatment.. it wasn't a big deal because all three involved were black so no racial comments were made public. (LOL).

Moss- "Dude, why can't you throw?"
RG3- "What? Man you can't catch a cold anymore."
Garcon- "Oh please, you throw like a 10 year old Brett Favre."
Moss- "If it wasn't for us making these crazy catches, Cousins would be starting."
RG3- "Well tell Kyle stop calling garbage plays."
Garcon- "Yes that's it, because on 3rd and 1 it was Kyle who said toss the ball in the air and let's see who catches it."
RG3- *Rolls Eyes* "I was going to run the ball but this brace made me afraid."
Moss- "All in for week 1 my a**"
Paulsen walking by- "Sup my ni***z?"
Moss/RG3/Moss- "Oh heeeell naw"

I do hope these guys all have a sit down and just get everything out of their system. Things are going to go better for us if they can get that "us against the world" mentality again instead of an "us against us" mentality.

. . . and maybe a white guy saying something that unites the three of them wouldn't be such a bad idea. I nominate Larry Michaels to be the sacrificial lamb. :twisted:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:34 am

Deadskins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

I didn't read that as him saying he was trying to throw it away. I read it as saying, I threw the ball up and was hoping one of my receivers would make a play for the ball. I think he was saying he put the ball where he wanted it, but no one on the skins even tried for it.

That would be even worse if that's what he meant.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:39 am

Deadskins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Then why did he say, it didn't get to where I wanted it to be?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:46 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Then why did he say, it didn't get to where I wanted it to be?

He wanted it to be in the hands of his receiver?
He also said he was trying to get it to the back of the endzone, and that's where it was.

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Then why did he say, it didn't get to where I wanted it to be?

He wanted it to be in the hands of his receiver?
He also said he was trying to get it to the back of the endzone, and that's where it was.

IMO, that seems like an awkward interpretation of what he said. What he said was:

(1) We had a play we were trying to run, but no one got open
(2) I was backing up [to buy time]
(3) I knew if I took a sack it would end the game
(4) So, I threw it to the back of the end zone, but
(5) It didn't get to where I wanted it to go

To me, the logical progression there is that (4) means he was throwing it somewhere where it wouldn't just be up for grabs, whether he means actually out of the endzone or just far enough that it couldn't easily be intercepted. Then he says the ball didn't get to where he had intended, which sees to imply a place on the field, not whose hands it landed in.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:24 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:You don't really believe that Griffin was trying to throw that away, do you? His arm is plenty strong enough to have been able to throw that out of the end zone even falling back like he was.

OK, I just watched the replay a few times. Robert is about to get hit, so with no power from his lower body, moving backwards, and side-armed, he flicks the ball from the 32. The DB jumps to make the INT, but it looks like the ball was going to fall 7-8 yards deep in the endzone. That makes it a 40-yard throw, give or take a yard.

Given the bad mechanics and that he was moving backwards, it doesn't seem like a stretch at all to say he didn't get the power he should have (and wanted to) and was 4-5 yards short of getting it safely out. No smoking gun there, IMHO.

But he may have been hoping to hit a WR. The overhead replay shows a gap in the middle of the field where he might have thought Garcon was going to successfully run and get just enough separation. It wouldn't surprise me if his actual thought process was that he wanted to get it very near the back of the end zone, giving Garcon a chance to grab it but keeping it away from DBs. He was inaccurate by being short and to the right if that's the case, but I could see that.

Given that he didn't say "I was trying to throw it out" but "I was trying to get it to the back of the endzone," there might be something there. But if so, it looks like he was trying to throw it where either Garcon or nobody would be able to get it — essentially throwing it away while leaving just enough room for Garcon to do something miraculous.

Whatever he wanted to do, it's clear that he failed in execution, but either way I don't think he was lying with what he said to the media.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:33 pm

here we go again … this is what we do really well here …. :lol:

most of the time, we just make a mountain out of the molehill … every now and then we can make it into a 'big' mountain Yawn
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:You don't really believe that Griffin was trying to throw that away, do you? His arm is plenty strong enough to have been able to throw that out of the end zone even falling back like he was.

OK, I just watched the replay a few times. Robert is about to get hit, so with no power from his lower body, moving backwards, and side-armed, he flicks the ball from the 32. The DB jumps to make the INT, but it looks like the ball was going to fall 7-8 yards deep in the endzone. That makes it a 40-yard throw, give or take a yard.

Given the bad mechanics and that he was moving backwards, it doesn't seem like a stretch at all to say he didn't get the power he should have (and wanted to) and was 4-5 yards short of getting it safely out. No smoking gun there, IMHO.

But he may have been hoping to hit a WR. The overhead replay shows a gap in the middle of the field where he might have thought Garcon was going to successfully run and get just enough separation. It wouldn't surprise me if his actual thought process was that he wanted to get it very near the back of the end zone, giving Garcon a chance to grab it but keeping it away from DBs. He was inaccurate by being short and to the right if that's the case, but I could see that.

Given that he didn't say "I was trying to throw it out" but "I was trying to get it to the back of the endzone," there might be something there. But if so, it looks like he was trying to throw it where either Garcon or nobody would be able to get it — essentially throwing it away while leaving just enough room for Garcon to do something miraculous.

Whatever he wanted to do, it's clear that he failed in execution, but either way I don't think he was lying with what he said to the media.

I thought that if Paulsen had seen him throw the ball he could have sped up and went to catch that pass, but what do I know..... :lol:

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Maybe. He wasn't that far away when the INT was made, so maybe he just hadn't seen it or broken upfield in time.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:But he may have been hoping to hit a WR. The overhead replay shows a gap in the middle of the field where he might have thought Garcon was going to successfully run and get just enough separation. It wouldn't surprise me if his actual thought process was that he wanted to get it very near the back of the end zone, giving Garcon a chance to grab it but keeping it away from DBs. He was inaccurate by being short and to the right if that's the case, but I could see that.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Why does he say if he took a sack it would have ended the game!? It was 3rd and 1 with 38 seconds left, right?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football