The Trouble with RG3

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Canes Skin

Re: The Trouble with RG3

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:12 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I just don't get Stomin's thinking...
Wilson is clearly a talented and dynamic player, who fits the "franchise" mold for Seattle... He will have an outstanding career wherever he plays, but he currently plays behind a very solid o-line that is capable of pass blocking when needed. In DC, he would be struggling just as is Bob... perhaps a bit less so, because he spent more time behind center in college... but struggling none the less. He would NEVER find the throwing lanes here that he gets currently in Seattle... Our line is not competent to move players when in pass pro.

He hasn't had to do much to win games, only three games this year has his passing yards been higher than 250 yards. The Seahawks passing game is ranked 24th out of 32 teams. What am I missing here? He's a more athletic Trent Dilfer. Obviously his turnovers are going to be lower, considering Griffin has had to throw the ball a lot more this year. There's no doubt in my mind that with Wilson the Skins record would be the same right now.

250 yards is now the cutoff? Wilson is 16th in yards, 8th in completion %, 6th in touchdowns and 2nd among quarterbacks in rush yards.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:16 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Wilson is clearly a talented and dynamic player, who fits the "franchise" mold for Seattle... He will have an outstanding career wherever he plays, but he currently plays behind a very solid o-line that is capable of pass blocking when needed. In DC, he would be struggling just as is Bob... perhaps a bit less so, because he spent more time behind center in college... but struggling none the less. He would NEVER find the throwing lanes here that he gets currently in Seattle... Our line is not competent to move players when in pass pro.

He hasn't had to do much to win games, only three games this year has his passing yards been higher than 250 yards. The Seahawks passing game is ranked 24th out of 32 teams. What am I missing here? He's a more athletic Trent Dilfer. Obviously his turnovers are going to be lower, considering Griffin has had to throw the ball a lot more this year. There's no doubt in my mind that with Wilson the Skins record would be the same right now.

Not having to do much to win games doesn't make a player less talented or a "game manager". Espeically when Wilson has a poor WR core and more-or-kess below average OL. I think you are grossly underestimating what he does. Perhaps you should watch him play and not read the box scores.......

As far as INTs, look at Wilson's %s. They are also lower.

And I'm glad there is no doubt in your mind, but I think the overwhelming majority of non-skin/seahawk fans would disagree with you.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Wilson's receivers routinely make ridiculous grabs for him too, as opposed to RGIII, for whom even hitting his receivers on the hands isn't enough very often. Yes, RGIII has been inaccurate this year, too, but take away several drops (or add a few of those amazing grabs that Wilson benefits from) and we have 1-3 more wins on the year so far. Things would look a lot different.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:46 am

The trouble with RG3 … it's really simple - running the read option plays with the new rules would have resulted in Robert taking some bad hits and he is having a difficult time with the transition - I think initially (even though the knee was healed enough to play on and take a hit) he was tentative and that over time led to him trying too hard - the pass he missed early last week was TERRIBLE but his play in general has not been very good - he's going through a tough time but he's a very special athlete and he will work his way through this
we've heard it all before but the reality is we are getting better and we do have a lot of very good, young players

Robert will continue to try as hard as he can to lift this team

there have been issues with RG3's play this season but there have been much bigger problems across the whole franchise
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Griffin is also having problems planting his foot when he throws, and when there is a pocket, he doesn't seem to step up in it. A lot of analysts are saying that he's holding the ball waaaay too long, and how he panics when his first read isn't open.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:11 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Griffin is also having problems planting his foot when he throws, and when there is a pocket, he doesn't seem to step up in it. A lot of analysts are saying that he's holding the ball waaaay too long, and how he panics when his first read isn't open.

the only 'analysts' that have any credibility with Robert are Mike and Kyle - if they feel that Robert is not the right QB for the QB job, he would not be doing it

remember …

Mike did not bring in Robert to be the QB we're seeing on the field this season ….. or last season
he's here to become the QB of the future and he needs to learn a lot about being a great QB in the NFL

I'm looking forward to that :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:28 pm

I think Jon Gruden sums it up pretty well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... -on-rgiii/

“I see an athletic quarterback that’s doing similar things that he did last year,” Gruden said this week on ESPN Radio. “He may not have the true explosiveness that he showed as a rookie, but he’s still capable of ripping a game open with his legs. But he is out of rhythm, he is missing open targets, I do think the defenses have perhaps caught up with a few things. But they’re averaging almost 400 yards a game. What I see is a lot of frustration. In consecutive weeks, they’ve had opportunities to win the game in the fourth quarter, at Minnesota, at Philadelphia, and they haven’t gotten it done. And when you don’t win at crunch time, it falls on the quarterback’s plate. And I think there’s a lot of frustration right now, obviously, in Washington.”

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:52 pm

I like Jon Gruden - maybe in a year or 2, when Mike leaves, we can get a HC like Gruden ..

I hope the next guy is a 'players coach' like Gibbs and Gruden and not a HC like Belicheat or Mike

I am sure that we'll get someone that's excited about working with a QB like Robert

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:58 pm

This is actually a pretty good article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

Then there were those Griffin-initiated modifications to the offense. During the offseason, Griffin, through his father Robert Jr., lobbied publicly for major changes in the team’s option-style offense. Emboldened by being selected the 2012 NFL offensive rookie of the year, Griffin decided he was ready to prove himself as a pocket passer. His father waged a media campaign in an attempt to pressure the Shanahans to essentially scrap their spectacularly successful approach that led the NFL in rushing last season, tied for first in yards per play and finished third in passing efficiency.

There is plenty of crap in this article but, he hit the nail on the head about a few things

Nonetheless, the Shanahans accommodated the Griffins by installing more drop-back plays — and the results couldn’t have been worse. Earlier this season, with Griffin determined to prove his chops in the pocket, the shortcomings of the offensive line and wide receivers not named Pierre Garcon became clear.

Griffin can be that guy — but first he must get a few things straight with the one he sees in the mirror.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:17 am

Robert is going through a difficult process - hopefully the hits don't shorten the career

as the saying goes 'the best lessons are often learned from the mistakes we make"

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:19 am

Tonight will be a good test against the 49ers for Griffin.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:Tonight will be a good test against the 49ers for Griffin.

Yep, and minus a couple of his targets. If he can pull this one off I'll be impressed. HTTR

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:54 am

If we lose tonight, the media is going to spin every little piece of information to push the point that there's a rift between Griffin and Shanahan, or Griffin and the locker room.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:12 pm

^^ are you kidding - the media is going to spin everything and anything they can, whenever they can …

winning or losing - the mediots will continue to pursue any storyline they feel will help their cause

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:04 am

The race this season is over with 5 games on the schedule. I think Griffin ought to be benched, we know what he can do and it is far below NFL starter standards. Play Cousins and see what he can do, Griffin loses games by 20 maybe Cousins can do better.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football