Retro Pro Football Magazine/Website

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
Hog

Retro Pro Football Magazine/Website

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:16 am

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a retro football magazine or website dedicated to the NFL...?

I'm talking about something full of articles on pro football since the birth of the Superbowl.

I'm researching a project and I'm looking for magazines, articles and features on pro football and fashion from the 60's to the 90's.

If something like that is around I need to see it, if nothing like that already exists then I need to know!

Thanks,

SLR.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Skins History Buff

Re: Retro Pro Football Magazine/Website

Postby welch » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Two or three places to start:

- there is a society for NFL history, but I can't remember the name. Most of the board is "pay/membership", because it supports serious research on all sorts of things. I stumbled across it when looking at the evolution of offensive and defensive schemes. An author had written about wbhat might have happened if tghe American Football League champion San Fiego Chargers had played the NFL champion Chicago Bears. The Chargers had created a new approach to the passing offense -- I forget the coordiniator, but he is a famous old-timer. The bears defense was coached by George Allen, who had begun using defensive "plays" to attack an offense. Our future strong-safety (and defensive coordinator) was one of Allen's starters.

- one simple starting point would be the Washington Post sports section. You might have to pay for articles as far back as 1967, but the Post was always dependable.

- avoid Sports Illustrated, which was, is, and will always be baloney.

Incidentally, my garndson attended a Celtic soccer camp in St Louis summer-before-last. He's proud of his picture with two Celtic youth coaches, and my son is proud that Aidan, who is big for his age, kept up with kids three and four years older. Aoidan is abiout six, and he is learning to think without the ball: where to put himself to receive a pass. Not just how to dribble around or through other kids, and not just to look for whoever accidentally is open.

Hog

Re: Retro Pro Football Magazine/Website

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks Welch.

So it sounds like there is a gap in the market for a high quality magazine that focuses on retro football by linking the past to the present...?

Would you be willing to give me some feedback on this project I'm working on...? I want to make sure we cover everything the avid NFL enthusiast who is over 35 would want to see. If so can you give me your email address in a pm..??

The Celtic soccer camps are very good, they invest a lot in that sort of thing as they depend on unearthing young talent because the Scottish league is financially a very poor one to be in compared to their European competitors.

My brother was called Aidan, beautiful name. Hope young Aidan wears the hoops with pride!

SLR
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Return to Around the League