NOW it's time to start Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby grampi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 am

Now that this season is a bust, it's time to start Cousins. He's going to be the starter anyway eventually, because the way RG3 is getting beat up he is most certainly going to reinjure the knee again. I say bench him now to not only avoid reinjury, but to also let the knee finish heeling...this also presents the opportunity to see how the offense will do with a change in QBs...Shanny needs to stop worrying about pissing off RG3 (by benching him) and start worrying about what's best for the team...if he can't do this, then we need a new head coach...

Hog

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:57 am

Griffin should have been benched at halftime against the Eagles. He should have been benched last night when it was 17-6. Almost everyone in the universe (including Sonny) have echoed the same sentiment. It's really mind boggling why Shanahan kept Griffin in both games for all 4 quarters. There is no way in hell he's going to bench Griffin, I'm convinced. Doesn't matter what he does or how bad he plays, he'll be the starter for the rest of the year.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:06 am

Stop. Come on now. He shouldn't bench him just to protect his knee. Please. He needs reps to progress. Shanny needs to start incorporating the short routes into this offense. 3 step read and throw.

This guy is carrying the entire franchise on his back. No other leaders are stepping up to shoulder the burden. He has the weight of the coaching staff, the team, and the record on his back and he's a second year player still trying to learn the offense and how to read a defense. Cut him a bit of a break here. Be patient. He's smart enough, he'll figure it out.

By the way, why isn't anyone talking about Luck and how much he sucks right now? Blame it on injuries or whatever, but now (after the wayne injury) they have about as much talent as we do on offense and they suck.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 am

chiefhog44 wrote:By the way, why isn't anyone talking about Luck and how much he sucks right now? Blame it on injuries or whatever, but now (after the wayne injury) they have about as much talent as we do on offense and they suck.

Because their record is better than ours. Less than 40 yards in the second half is hardly "carrying" the franchise. That's got to be a joke, right?

Hog

Postby grampi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:28 am

chiefhog44 wrote:Stop. Come on now. He shouldn't bench him just to protect his knee. Please. He needs reps to progress. Shanny needs to start incorporating the short routes into this offense. 3 step read and throw.

This guy is carrying the entire franchise on his back. No other leaders are stepping up to shoulder the burden. He has the weight of the coaching staff, the team, and the record on his back and he's a second year player still trying to learn the offense and how to read a defense. Cut him a bit of a break here. Be patient. He's smart enough, he'll figure it out.

By the way, why isn't anyone talking about Luck and how much he sucks right now? Blame it on injuries or whatever, but now (after the wayne injury) they have about as much talent as we do on offense and they suck.

Like I said, Shanny can start Cousins now, or wait until RG3 gets hurt...the way he's getting beat up out there because of our suck-ass o-line, it's just a matter of time before he reinjures that knee...better to avoid the injury and start Cousins now...

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:00 am

Bench the Bust! Give Cousins all the practice reps and the next 5 games, let's really see what he can do!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 am

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10038 ... isco-49ers

At least one player agrees with you.

I don't think this is trash talk. That's one player who's actually concerned about the career of an opposing player. Maybe giving Griffin the rest of the year off would be beneficial. After all, seeing Cousins run the offense, and acting as a coach on the sidelines would arguably help him improve right? He needs to work on leadership and making quick decisions. Maybe analyzing things on the sidelines would help him achieve those goals.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 am

I don't believe this coaching staff has the wisdom to make such decisions.

Tell me .... with the score 27-6. and less than 2 minutes left in the game, what did we see? We saw the offense call a time out? We saw RG3 back there scrambling, and risking more hits in a game that was over? In a season that was already over, but the fate now finalized by this loss?

RG3 again took a tremendous number of hits in this game, and it is inconceivable to me tjat he'd be back there scrambling at the end of the game with zero need for it.

22 yards of offense in the second half? (that's a number mentioned on tv, don't know how accurate) ....

Now, to bench him for performance issues would not be the wisest maneuver in my opinion, because there are too many other issues plagueing this team, to heap all the blame on the young QB. We don,t want any additional confidence hits to add to the physical ones this kid is absorbing. But with this season lost, you sit him down now and tell him he's done for the year because there is no way to justify the risk of having him out there taking these beatings. Period! He doesn't have to like it or agree with the decision.

The redskins and other QB needy teams need a better look at Cousins.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:39 am

RayNAustin wrote:I don't believe this coaching staff has the wisdom to make such decisions.

Tell me .... with the score 27-6. and less than 2 minutes left in the game, what did we see? We saw the offense call a time out? We saw RG3 back there scrambling, and risking more hits in a game that was over? In a season that was already over, but the fate now finalized by this loss?

RG3 again took a tremendous number of hits in this game, and it is inconceivable to me tjat he'd be back there scrambling at the end of the game with zero need for it.

22 yards of offense in the second half? (that's a number mentioned on tv, don't know how accurate) ....

Now, to bench him for performance issues would not be the wisest maneuver in my opinion, because there are too many other issues plagueing this team, to heap all the blame on the young QB. We don,t want any additional confidence hits to add to the physical ones this kid is absorbing. But with this season lost, you sit him down now and tell him he's done for the year because there is no way to justify the risk of having him out there taking these beatings. Period! He doesn't have to like it or agree with the decision.

The redskins and other QB needy teams need a better look at Cousins.

Uphill, bro.

I called for Cousins in a lost game while Griff was taking shots, Shanny agreed, and I got sarcasm. #shrug

I'd love to see us do whatever it takes to limit the hits Griff takes in the remaining games. He is being punished. I saw two big hits yesterday where huge guys landed on him and just crushed him - one out of bounds. I was a little surprised ribs weren't broken.

He never seems to simply get hit. He's always lifted and pummeled.

... or getting kicked in the balls.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Grampi, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree. We drafted this guy to be our franchise QB. He needs to play out the season and use these games to get better.

I will say though that watching him getting beat up last night, I wished Shanahan would have pulled him out. It was pretty clear we weren't coming back from 24-6. No reason to keep him in for the fourth quarter just to get pummelled.

When we look back, I don't think it will have been a mistake to let RGIII finish out the season. I think people will say the mistake was to have rushed him back to start the season. Plenty of blame on that decision to go around.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:20 pm

You have to bench him if he continues to regress. What's the point in letting him keep taking those shots if he's not getting any better?

Hog

Postby grampi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:27 pm

riggofan wrote:Grampi, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree. We drafted this guy to be our franchise QB. He needs to play out the season and use these games to get better.

I will say though that watching him getting beat up last night, I wished Shanahan would have pulled him out. It was pretty clear we weren't coming back from 24-6. No reason to keep him in for the fourth quarter just to get pummelled.

When we look back, I don't think it will have been a mistake to let RGIII finish out the season. I think people will say the mistake was to have rushed him back to start the season. Plenty of blame on that decision to go around.

That's just it. I don't see him getting any better playing behind this joke of an offensive line...he's just going to continue taking beatings, and to me, it's just not worth the risk of re-injury to his knee, which would probably end his career...bench him, not for poor play, but to allow his knee to heel fully, and to see what happens with Cousins at the helm...with the season over, there's absolutely no reason not to do this...

Hog

Postby hanburgerheel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Griffin was forced to fill a role of leader, of star quarterback and a list of other things that he never earned at all. He seems a bit headstrong. He likes the spotlight, but he tries way too hard when he's in unfamiliar area- losing. Now his body is at stake. His body is the vessel for accomplishing what he loves in life- Football. His coaches don't seem to notice or care what happens to him. He'd better do it himself. The notion of starting Cousins sounds good. But, if I were Cousins I wouldn't want that dangerous job. The most dangerous job in the NFL is behind center on the Washington Redskins! He'd get mauled and murdered, too. He has an OC that couldn't find his butt if it had a bell on it. The O-Line is terrible. Maybe he's less banged-up than Griffin, but I'd be concerned to get the starting job at QB on that team!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:37 pm

grampi wrote:
riggofan wrote:Grampi, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree. We drafted this guy to be our franchise QB. He needs to play out the season and use these games to get better.

That's just it. I don't see him getting any better playing behind this joke of an offensive line...he's just going to continue taking beatings, and to me, it's just not worth the risk of re-injury to his knee, which would probably end his career...bench him, not for poor play, but to allow his knee to heel fully, and to see what happens with Cousins at the helm...with the season over, there's absolutely no reason not to do this...

Its a fair point about the offensive line. I'm not really sure though why people want to see a less mobile QB playing behind that line though. lol.

I guess if Shanahan thinks Cousins could really come in and do a better job it would be worth a shot. But if its more likely that Cousins comes in, looks average behind that line and just gets hurt, what is the benefit of that?

I'll say one thing. It definitely seemed like Shanahan was not happy with RGIII a few times last night. Taking that unnecessary timeout at the end of the first half for example.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Another huge reason that I feel it should have happened in the previous two weeks was that it would have served as a huge wake up call to Griffin.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football