Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby OldSchool » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:43 pm

Griffin is bust of historic proportions, absolutely awful. Three first round and 1 second pick for Griffin is one of worse trades ever, they sold the farm for 1 trick pony. He is unable to perform in a pocket quick enough makes the whole team look worse. St. Louis gets maybe the top pick this year.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:12 am

Look, I know people are upset, and Griffin hasn't played well this season but calling him a bust is just ridiculous. He's having a sophomore slump to be sure, but he's still completed 60% of his passes and he's on pace for 4,000 yards and 20 TD.

Just breathe. Griffin has surely been part of the reason we're not winning, but he also lacks a complimentary receiver to Garcon and he started the season without Reed in the lineup. He'll be fine.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:45 am

When Gruden constantly keeps comparing the offense (and Griffin) to college play and saying how it "will get you kicked out of the NFL", I tend to think he knows what he's talking about. They've dumbed the offense down for Griffin, and he still doesn't get it.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:29 am
Location: Fredericksburg, Va

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby SKINS#1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:54 am

How bad are the Redskins? The stats -190 T yds, kick return 6 for 102 yds (by TE), sacks 4 for 37 yds and in the 1st Q RG3 was 1 for 6 for minus 1 yd and a pick. Doesn't get much worst then this.

While I think Cousins should get a shot, I am trying to understand why RG3 is still the starter. Maybe Shanny thinks the experience is necessary for RG3 to become what we hoped for. I could make the same statement for Cousins.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:22 am

No question Griffin should have been benched yesterday when the game was 17-6. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the game was over at that point.

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby OldSchool » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:57 am

Griffin fans I know you can't believe your lying eyes, I get that but the rest of us are ready to move on for at the rest of the season. Maybe a few months out of the pressure would be good for Griffin and he'll regroup and be of some use next season, I doubt it but for the next 5 games I want to see Cousins get the starter practice reps and play to see if the Skins have an NFL quarterback on the roster.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: Panama

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby gushogs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:47 am

RG3 should be benched until he learns the game.
He cann't keep on getting hit the way he gets hit. Not because the Skins mortgage the decade on him, but for his own health. 2 more yrs of this and by the time he is 30 he is going to be like Muhammad Ali....
HaiL,
Another year of asking for PATIENCE..., 20 yrs not long enough?????

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4406
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:48 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:No question Griffin should have been benched yesterday when the game was 17-6. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the game was over at that point.


I don't know man, you really can't say that. Look what happened at the end of the Eagles game just the week before. I agree that he should have been pulled before the end of the game, but no game is over at 17-6 in the third quarter.

Hog
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:15 pm

I think it is ridiculous to label this kid a bust. He demonstrated his ability and talent last year, though the success of the offense relied to much on him running. So, the switch to a more conventional philosophy has not produced acceptable results for a number of reasons .... but remember ... this is QB #4 .... the other 3, McNabb, Grossman, and Beck didn't fare much better. Is there a common denominator here? Yes, Kyle's offense minus Michael Vick with throwing and decision making ability, otherwise known as RG3, rookie of the year.

Last year's offense that featured Robert as a run threat, caused all sorts of problems for opposing defenses, and helped mask the issues we see on the o-line this year. Defense couldn't play too aggressive in pass rush due to the dual threat of the option, which also opened up intermediate pass routes as the LB's were held close to the point of attack. But with Robert hampered, and not the same threat, those advantages are gone, and we o see problems on the oline that were not exposed last year.

The combination of poor pass pro ... more pocket passing for which robert is not comfortable, and defenses attacking and blitzing more aggressively, has the offense and Robert looking very similar to the unproductive offenses of 2010-2011.

I don't see inovative plays designed to mitigate the deficiencies in pass pro, nor do Ise opposing defenses being out smarted with missdirection, screens, and other designs to slow down this backfield invasion.

Where are the quick slants .... sceens .... all we saw in the SF game were bubble screens that were not very effective against a defense who have great outside LBs and a very quick front 7. In other words, Kyle isn't fooling anyone, and Roberts remarks after the philly game was an indirect reference to this disturbing lack ofbgame planning and winning the chess game against opposing defensive coordinatora and their game plans.

Apparently those who cite the one trick pony label are correct, but misapplying it to RG3, instead of whete it really belongs.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 pm

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:No question Griffin should have been benched yesterday when the game was 17-6. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the game was over at that point.


I don't know man, you really can't say that. Look what happened at the end of the Eagles game just the week before. I agree that he should have been pulled before the end of the game, but no game is over at 17-6 in the third quarter.

The way we were playing on offense yesterday was all but null and void in the 3rd quarter. After the third 3 and out, he should have been pulled, IMO.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4406
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:32 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:No question Griffin should have been benched yesterday when the game was 17-6. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the game was over at that point.


I don't know man, you really can't say that. Look what happened at the end of the Eagles game just the week before. I agree that he should have been pulled before the end of the game, but no game is over at 17-6 in the third quarter.

The way we were playing on offense yesterday was all but null and void in the 3rd quarter. After the third 3 and out, he should have been pulled, IMO.


That's fine, but you could have said the exact same thing in the Eagles game. Except the score was 24-0 and the offense was null and void in the third quarter.

Not trying to be argumentative. My gut was telling me the same thing last night obviously, because I turned the game off in the third quarter. lol. I'm just saying from the coaching standpoint, I don't think you could really pull RGIII with the score at 17-6 at that point. 1) Its not like the game was completely out of reach. 2) Was anybody really thinking, wow, we might beat these guys if we just get RGIII off the field? hah. I mean the 49ers defense completely man handled our offensive line. It was a total embarrassment.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby Hooligan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:21 pm

RayNAustin wrote:I don't see inovative plays designed to mitigate the deficiencies in pass pro, nor do Ise opposing defenses being out smarted with missdirection, screens, and other designs to slow down this backfield invasion.

Where are the quick slants .... sceens .... all we saw in the SF game were bubble screens that were not very effective against a defense who have great outside LBs and a very quick front 7. In other words, Kyle isn't fooling anyone, and Roberts remarks after the philly game was an indirect reference to this disturbing lack ofbgame planning and winning the chess game against opposing defensive coordinatora and their game plans.

Apparently those who cite the one trick pony label are correct, but misapplying it to RG3, instead of whete it really belongs.



This is where the offensive problems are: the scheme and playcalling. If the O-line can't keep a pocket intact, where are all the short passes? Where's the TE help on the line? Where are all the bootlegs? No, lets make the franchise qb with no offseason prep stand in a non-existant pocket and wait for the play to develop, then get crushed. I agree that it's on Kyle, not Robert. Rob can only do so much. He's being Ramsey'd.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Gruden was talking last night about how defenses have adjusted and made it harder for Griffin because they're simply not afraid of him running anymore. I took that as a reference to being "figured out". Look at Kaepernick, he's facing the same type of struggles (lucky for him he just played the worst defense in the league). So it's not all on Kyle. He's not the one holding the ball too long and sailing passes short or long to receivers.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15877
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Hooligan wrote:He's being Ramsey'd.

ROTFALMAO but :cry:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4406
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Hooligan wrote:This is where the offensive problems are: the scheme and playcalling. If the O-line can't keep a pocket intact, where are all the short passes?


Hmmm. I thought they called those quick, short passes like five times in the first half and got nothing out of it. Gruden pointed it out repeatedly.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football