Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Robert's not as much in a slump as this season's issues for our team have made it seem so

the only concern I have is that he has an O line that is not helping him and his learning process
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 pm

OldSchool wrote:Cousins routinely releases the ball faster than Griffin, even without getting practice reps he thinks quicker than Griffin. So yes, I believe Cousins would be much more effective than Griffin. Put down the koolaid this week and watch how long it takes for Griffin to process and decide. He didn't have to read and release quickly in college or last year because he was so mobile, now it is obvious to everyone except his cult following that he can't. Three first round picks and one second round for QB that can't read and release quickly??? Bust city, big time bust maybe the biggest draft bust but in history.

you may be right about a lot of things but Mike OBVIOUSLY does not think you are :D

AND

I agree with Mike :twisted:

did you enjoy the first drive in the giants game?

"Bust city" …. :lol:
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:41 pm

OldSchool wrote:Bust city, big time bust maybe the biggest draft bust but in history.

This is where you totally lose all credibility. While he hasn't had the greatest second year, you honestly think the Rookie of the Year, first rookie QB named to the Pro Bowl (not as an injury replacement) is the biggest draft bust in history? Do you understand who Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, etc. are?, All were as high a pick as RG3 yet none had any of the success in their careers that RG3 has had...

Hog

Postby Snout » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:25 am

I cannot believe that people keep blaming the offense. We have two fantastic running backs. We have a playmaker for a quarterback. And for the first time in what seems like a decade we have some WRs who can make plays. And in the fourth quarter when we are playing from behind, I have the feeling that we just might come back and win. That has been a rare feeling over the last 20 years. The offense is doing its share!

I said in week 2 that the defense was the problem, and CLL jumped all over me and declared that I didn't know what I was talking about. He insisted that the problem was our defense was getting winded because the offense couldn't stay on the field. That was completely wrong then and it is completely wrong now. We win the time of possession battle almost every game, even when we lose. The defense is the problem.

Even in the terrible years from 1991 to 2011 we usually had a decent defense. The offense was pathetic, but the defense kept games close and that's why we lost so many heart breakers. We would regularly beat the Super Bowl champion during the regular season, but then lose the easy ones like the Rams and Lions. We thought a playmaking franchise quarterback was the missing piece. We now we have that piece but the defense has slipped.

Only Minnesota has allowed more points (four more than the Redskins). And people say our problem is the offense in general and the offensive line in particular? Nonsense!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 am

this franchise has many issues and to label it as only being offensive or defensive woes is STUPID
I don't remember ever seeing as bad a snap as I saw on that punt last night - that led to 7 points

we are not playing well across the board for a full 60 minutes

we have come a long way since Mike and Bruce took over the mess that was created by Snyder with some help from Cerrato

we still have some more issues to address but we ARE getting better - I really believe we have our QB of the future and a lot of good young talent to build around

no matter who is in charge here (well, almost) this franchise is headed in the right direction

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:23 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we are not playing well across the board for a full 60 minutes

You nailed it with the "full 60 minutes". That's what been so frustrating this season. How many games did we see like last night where the team looked awesome for a quarter? Hell, even the defense played a beastly quarter or two last night.

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Yes, I think Griffin may be the biggest draft bust in history because I can't remember a team spending 3 first round and 1 second round pick to draft a guy before. Think what the Skins could have done with 3 first round picks and a second instead of squandering them on a primo Donna would can't read and release. I don't think Griffin will ever become a great NFL quarterback. He may have another high flying season or part of a season again if and when he gets his brace off next season, but it will be merely Indian summer before his next injury if he rebounds at all. He is bust who will be out of the league in a couple of years.

I never drank the koolaid, I've watch too many NFL first rounders bust, but unless I am mistaken these franchises only wasted 1 first round pick, I can't remember 3 first rounds and a second for a guy. Brain dead stupid decision and I bet it was Snyder's call not Shanny's. Snyder saw the merchandising opportunity and has made a bundle on Griffin. Snyder, Griffin and the Rams are winners, Skin players and fans are the losers. We have a reality show/soap opera instead of a football team. You don't want to recognize that gulp down some more koolaid.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 pm

OldSchool wrote:Yes, I think Griffin may be the biggest draft bust in history because I can't remember a team spending 3 first round and 1 second round pick to draft a guy before. Think what the Skins could have done with 3 first round picks and a second instead of squandering them on a primo Donna would can't read and release. I don't think Griffin will ever become a great NFL quarterback. He may have another high flying season or part of a season again if and when he gets his brace off next season, but it will be merely Indian summer before his next injury if he rebounds at all. He is bust who will be out of the league in a couple of years.

I never drank the koolaid, I've watch too many NFL first rounders bust, but unless I am mistaken these franchises only wasted 1 first round pick, I can't remember 3 first rounds and a second for a guy. Brain dead stupid decision and I bet it was Snyder's call not Shanny's. Snyder saw the merchandising opportunity and has made a bundle on Griffin. Snyder, Griffin and the Rams are winners, Skin players and fans are the losers. We have a reality show/soap opera instead of a football team. You don't want to recognize that gulp down some more koolaid.

I so wish the next round of website upgrades would include an "ignore" button. I'll code that for free.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 pm

sorry oldschool - I think that Robert will prove to be a very good QB

he and the offense last season were a surprise that the NFL defenses have 'adjusted' to - Mike & Kyle are working with him to make him a better all round QB - this will take time - maybe we would not have picked him up if we'd known about the salary cap BS deal but IMO we're better off in the long run with him at QB - the FO will get some help for the O line and add to his weapons - we'll have a very exciting offense with a QB that can use his head, his arm and his legs - Robert's very smart, he's very fast and he has an unbelievably strong arm

this franchise has been badly hurt, first by Snyder and recently by Mike making some bad choices
IMO we do have a number of players to build around and an owner that will support this FO in acquiring players

it's not easy to be patient after all we've been through but that's where we are and there is no way that you can have a quick fix as some have wondered when you have NOTHING to build around

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:23 pm

OldSchool wrote:Yes, I think Griffin may be the biggest draft bust in history because I can't remember a team spending 3 first round and 1 second round pick to draft a guy before.

The difference is all the aforementioned first round picks came with massive salaries and massive signing bonuses, meaning that they crippled their teams salary caps when they didn't pan out. It's not always about draft picks only.

However:

Think what the Skins could have done with 3 first round picks and a second instead of squandering them on a primo Donna would can't read and release.

Because the Redskins record with first round picks is just awesome?

We could have gotten: Carlos Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Laron Landry (3 consecutive 1st round picks). None with the team. Or four straight years of Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Andre Johnson, and Kenard Lang? Or spent it on a second and gotten someone like Devin Thomas, or Malcom Kelly, or Sleepy Davis?

Hell, if we're lucky, we'd get 3 picks of Orakpo, Williams, and Kerrigan. All of whom are nice pros, but none are game changers by any stretch.

You can't assume that with those 3 first round picks we would have gotten all stars. Likely we would have gotten decent players, nothing more. So what's more important? A few nice pieces, or a potential franchise QB?

Giving up on the guy after 1.66 seasons is flat out ridiculous. Especially when one of the seasons was fantastic, and the second one, while not as good as the first, is having a decent year. Statistically, he's having a better year by QB rating (and completing at a higher percentage, with more yards, and more yards per attempt) than Andrew Luck...so should the Colts now cut on Luck as well?

RG3 has had 2 years better than Andrew Luck so far...so if RG3 is the biggest bust in NFL history, where does that put Luck ?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 am

And we didn't lose THREE first round draft picks. We lost TWO.

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 am

Griffin cost the Skins 3 first rounders and a second pick. The first round they got from the Rams and used to select him, that is 1 first round. They also gave up 2 other first round picks plus a second round pick they gave to the Rams. So for 3 first round picks and a second round pick they got Griffin, a "project" QB.

Griffin who never learned to play in the pocket is as ready to be an NFL pocket passer as a skinny 7 foot freshman center who isn't strong enough to rebound and doesn't have any post moves. The bean pole got a scholarship from a weak program because 7 footers are rare and the coaches hope he'll fill out and they can teach him how to play. They recognize he's a "project" and so does he, the Skins didn't think Griffin was a project when they spent 3 first rounds and a second for him. They do now and they are slowly letting the faithful know too. Three first round and 1 second round pick to select a "super star" who turns out to be a "project" is an enormous draft bust in my estimation.

Cleveland drafted a 30 year old quarterback with 1 first round pick that is a bust but that is chump change compared to the Griffin fiasco if the measurement is productivity on the field. Griffin sold a lot jerseys so Snyder didn't get burned, but the fans and teammates got shafted wether they recognize or not.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:45 am

OldSchool wrote:Griffin cost the Skins 3 first rounders and a second pick. The first round they got from the Rams and used to select him, that is 1 first round. They also gave up 2 other first round picks plus a second round pick they gave to the Rams. So for 3 first round picks and a second round pick they got Griffin, a "project" QB.

:shock: now you've got me - that 1st round pick was not 'lost' .. it was used by the Redskins

you really should just get out of here - you do NOT know what you're talking about

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:56 am

SkinsJock wrote:
OldSchool wrote:Griffin cost the Skins 3 first rounders and a second pick. The first round they got from the Rams and used to select him, that is 1 first round. They also gave up 2 other first round picks plus a second round pick they gave to the Rams. So for 3 first round picks and a second round pick they got Griffin, a "project" QB.

:shock: now you've got me - that 1st round pick was not 'lost' .. it was used by the Redskins

you really should just get out of here - you do NOT know what you're talking about

Exactly. We didn't "lose" the pick. We swapped our first rounder for their higher pick. I understand the semantics of it, but this goofball was trying to argue "oh my what could we have done with those three first round picks?"

If you want to make the case that we would have been better using the picks on other players then fine. Quit spinning it. The fact is we gave up two first round players, not three. Nobody on here is dumb enough to miss that point.

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Fellas spin it anyway you want if it will make you feel any better but the Skins spent 3 first round picks PLUS a second round pick for Griffin. If you think this was smart good for you, I hope he has a great career and makes monkey out of me and all his other doubters and critics but it looks like mega bust to me today and I thought this bet the farm approach was dumb when they made it. You watch football for over 50 years and you know no player is a sure thing much less worth spending 3 first round and a second to get, especially a college option quarterback who doesn't have proven pocket passer skills.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football