Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Postby riggofan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:08 pm

This interview with Cris Collinsworth should be required reading by Redskins fans frustrated by this season:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... skins-woes
If you were going to ask me what I think is best for the organization, I think what's best is to convince Robert that Mike Shanahan can take him to the next level. ...This offense has been number one, number one, number one, number one through eternity so we know it works and then you put someone with [Griffin's] physical skills into it. When I saw they made this trade I said, 'Oh my god this is going to fantastic. This is going to be the greatest offense we've ever seen.' Unfortunately, the unforeseen came into play and that was the salary cap hit. Anyone who could have foreseen $36 million taken off that team after that trade and after giving up the draft picks, so now not only are you not going to have the draft picks, you're not going to have the money to spend on free agency. Thirty six million, you're talking about at least the best six players on your team being taken off it. If you go to any team out here and take $36 million off it this late in the year when attrition starts to really kick in, I want you to find any team that will be above 3-8.

You've got to hit the right players. But I thought the tough part about it was that when the announcement was made -- on the eve of free agency. You say would they have made the trade for RG3 and given up all the draft picks if they had known they'd take a $36-million hit? My guess is no. [Then you would say], ‘OK, we're going to take a $36-million hit? Fine, I'll tell you what we're gonna do. We're gonna go completely young, get rid of all our older players. And we're gonna take this core of newly drafted young key players and play with them for two years while the salary cap hit is underway and then in year three we're gonna explode on the scene.' But when they didn't know when they made the RG3 trade and they gave up all the draft picks, now you can't get the free agents to make the rest of the team. You're dead. The fact that they made the playoffs last year is much more a miracle than the fact they've won three games this year.

[-o<

Skins History Buff

Re: Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Postby welch » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:55 pm

I think Collinsworth is right. Every time I say to myself, "Self, they should have kept the draft choices, drafted Tanehill and Cousins, and..." I remember the cap penalty. That changed things.

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:55 pm

At this point its all a blur.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

piggie

Postby hanburgerheel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:19 am

I will concede that the cap hurts, but it does NOT explain or justify the sub-par and inept product that has been seen in 2013. A 4-year staff that needs a salary cap to be lifted to make a 3-9 team become a 9-3 team is really reaching. Collinsworth just hasn't been paying close attention to this club.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:02 am

hanburgerheel wrote:I will concede that the cap hurts, but it does NOT explain or justify the sub-par and inept product that has been seen in 2013. A 4-year staff that needs a salary cap to be lifted to make a 3-9 team become a 9-3 team is really reaching. Collinsworth just hasn't been paying close attention to this club.

Uh actually it explains ALOT. It explains why we have guys like Tyler Polumbus starting at right tackle. You clearly weren't paying attention in math class.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:22 am

riggofan wrote:
hanburgerheel wrote:I will concede that the cap hurts, but it does NOT explain or justify the sub-par and inept product that has been seen in 2013. A 4-year staff that needs a salary cap to be lifted to make a 3-9 team become a 9-3 team is really reaching. Collinsworth just hasn't been paying close attention to this club.

Uh, actually it explains A LOT. It explains why we have guys like Tyler Polumbus starting at right tackle.
You clearly weren't paying attention in math class.

=D> I am still glad that we have Robert at QB - I agree that we may not have made the trade had we known about the cap hit but I am VERY glad we have an exceptional QB - these guys (or somebody with NFL smarts) will find a way to add the talent to make things work better here

Having QB like Robert changes the dynamics a lot
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:43 am

No cap hit next year, and even if we gave up what turns out to be a high 1st rounder, that just means all of our other picks are high in their round too. And in 2015, we'll not only have all of our money, but all of our picks too.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:07 am

Deadskins wrote:No cap hit next year, and even if we gave up what turns out to be a high 1st rounder, that just means all of our other picks are high in their round too.
And in 2015, we'll not only have all of our money, but all of our picks too.

I know it's 'old' but we have to be patient …

I can see it now though … we'll have a decent year in 2014 and the nay sayers will be mad because we don't have a high first round draft pick in 2015 :twisted:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:58 am

SkinsJock wrote:I agree that we may not have made the trade had we known about the cap hit but I am VERY glad we have an exceptional QB - these guys (or somebody with NFL smarts) will find a way to add the talent to make things work better here

Yeah I don't really know what to make of that theory. This franchise has been so completely starved for a franchise QB, I'm not sure that we still wouldn't have made the RGIII trade even if we had known about the cap penalty. I don't care who the coach is. You're not going to win anything without a QB.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Deadskins wrote:No cap hit next year, and even if we gave up what turns out to be a high 1st rounder, that just means all of our other picks are high in their round too. And in 2015, we'll not only have all of our money, but all of our picks too.

Right on. I don't remember you being such an optimistic poster. I guess we've reached that throw in the towel portion of the season where we have to start looking on the bright side for next year. :) And yeah, it will suck to hand the Rams a top five pick, but there is a silver lining.

I wanted to add something here, because I've been defending Shanahan a lot lately. Truthfully I think I'm in the same boat as SkinsJock in that I don't have an especially strong opinion on him one way or the other. I'm just believe the smart thing to do would be to keep him one more year and maybe see if we can upgrade the def. coordinator. I'll be really curious to see what Snyder does at the end of this year. There is no question that five or ten years ago, Snyder would fire him, eat the $7m and start throwing money at the biggest name he could find.

I don't know. I just want to see patience and competence for a change instead of "let's make a big splash and excite the fan base"!

piggie

Postby hanburgerheel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Make sure you save (or concoct) an excuse for when this cap-lift miraculously doesn't make a difference when the same inept coaches and staff exist. Keep the imagination churning. Maybe Collinsworth will have the answer.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:25 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Collinsworth is basically right on the mark. And I hadn't really thought about the fact that the penalty was laid on us immediately after we had made the trade for Robert. In retrospect it's a lot easier to see the way the impact built up like it did: "cap penalty" suggests a one-year problem but it really was a devastating hit two years in a row, and the timing couldn't have been worse given the trade we had just made.

Ayone who thinks this shouldn't be a part of the discussion regarding the state of the team is fooling themselves. As riggofan points out, that was the difference between Polumbus and a more competent upgrade. It's also been the difference between having starters at safety instead of rookies and backups.

Whether Allen/Shanahan are here next year or not, one thing I will always admire them for is the way they refused to mortgage our future in dealing with the cap hit. No shuffling contracts to make 2014 and 2015 more difficult; they took the full hit right now so that the team has a brighter long-term future. It certainly has had an impact on their job security, but it was the right thing to do, and this fan is grateful for it.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:25 pm

hanburgerheel wrote:Make sure you save (or concoct) an excuse for when this cap-lift miraculously doesn't make a difference when the same inept coaches and staff exist. Keep the imagination churning. Maybe Collinsworth will have the answer.

Yeah I'm sure the answer is to wheel Bill Cowher out of retirement. Yay! New coach!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Just one more turn of the revolving door oughta do it . . . this time will be different, I swear!
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:30 pm

I forgot to add: I was very impressed when Collinsworth had the guts to say on national television last night: "Of course, I still need someone to explain to me how you can be penalized for violating the salary cap in an uncapped year — that doesn't make any sense to me." As common-sense as the position is, that's still a bold statement for a color commentator to make. Especially with Mara/Goodell likely to hear about it.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football