NOW it's time to start Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby oj » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Well, if you like what you've got then keep doing what you've been doing.

In my profession i have to fix things, when things are wrong you have to make a big change before you can finetune. Shannahan is trying to finetune when he needs to make a big change.
Molon Labe

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11086
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Threadkiller: RGIII has been improving (with ups and downs), and last night he played a very good game. Handing him the reps for the rest of the year, barring injury, is the right thing to do to maximize our chances of success for 2014. Let's give the man a full offseason without rehabilitation, some improvement to our depleted roster, and let him finally take off the knee brace. Then see what he does.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Threadkiller: RGIII has been improving (with ups and downs), and last night he played a very good game. Handing him the reps for the rest of the year, barring injury, is the right thing to do to maximize our chances of success for 2014. Let's give the man a full offseason without rehabilitation, some improvement to our depleted roster, and let him finally take off the knee brace. Then see what he does.


But this makes too much sense. It isn't as interesting as (What If Scenarios).

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4842
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Threadkiller: RGIII has been improving (with ups and downs), and last night he played a very good game. Handing him the reps for the rest of the year, barring injury, is the right thing to do to maximize our chances of success for 2014. Let's give the man a full offseason without rehabilitation, some improvement to our depleted roster, and let him finally take off the knee brace. Then see what he does.


But this makes too much sense. It isn't as interesting as (What If Scenarios).


Yes this doesn't excite me as much as firing everybody and hiring the reanimated zombie body of Vince Lombardi.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4842
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 pm

oj wrote:Well, if you like what you've got then keep doing what you've been doing.

In my profession i have to fix things, when things are wrong you have to make a big change before you can finetune. Shannahan is trying to finetune when he needs to make a big change.


I don't know what you fix exactly, but you're trying to tell us that every time something breaks that you have to fix, you completely start from scratch? You cannot possibly fix things without making big changes first? Ever? I call you because I have a leaky toilet, and you will come to my house and completely replace the toilet before you will attempt to fix the leak by less drastic means???

I know this was meant to be profound, but its mostly just hilarious in its generality. I'm pretty sure a lot of people have to "fix things" in some manner or another in their jobs. I build websites. When something breaks, I usually try to figure out what piece specifically is broken and fix that. People rarely want to wait two years for me to completely rebuild their website. How's that for profound?

DarthMonk
Posts: 4475
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I thought we should have waited at least until the bye to start Griff but that's another thread. I'm not sure what we should do now but I think he will start the rest of the year provided he does not get hurt.

For what it's worth, pocket passers get sacked less. The guys consistently in the top 10 for fewest sacks per attempt over the pass decade are Brady, Brees, Manning, Rivers, Stafford, Ryan, and Warner. They all make quick decisions and rarely try to extend plays with their legs. The two guys who occasionally sneak into this top 10 who do often try to extend plays with their legs are Rodgers and Romo. These two guys are not used as runners and they have a lot of experience.

We are in a bad place with Griff needing experience, Griff not being 100% (my opinion), Griff trying to extend plays, leaky oline, defenses head-hunting, refs permitting ragdoll treatment, etc. My guess is, if Cousins were to step in, he'd take fewer hits overall and almost definitely fewer big hits - for many reasons - one of which would be different play calling.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11086
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:54 pm

riggofan wrote:Yes this doesn't excite me as much as firing everybody and hiring the reanimated zombie body of Vince Lombardi.


:lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11086
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:56 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I thought we should have waited at least until the bye to start Griff but that's another thread. I'm not sure what we should do now but I think he will start the rest of the year provided he does not get hurt.

For what it's worth, pocket passers get sacked less. The guys consistently in the top 10 for fewest sacks per attempt over the pass decade are Brady, Brees, Manning, Rivers, Stafford, Ryan, and Warner. They all make quick decisions and rarely try to extend plays with their legs. The two guys who occasionally sneak into this top 10 who do often try to extend plays with their legs are Rodgers and Romo. These two guys are not used as runners and they have a lot of experience.

We are in a bad place with Griff needing experience, Griff not being 100% (my opinion), Griff trying to extend plays, leaky oline, defenses head-hunting, refs permitting ragdoll treatment, etc. My guess is, if Cousins were to step in, he'd take fewer hits overall and almost definitely fewer big hits - for many reasons - one of which would be different play calling.


This is all true. I think we are taking a risk with RGIII. However, I am optimistic because I think we've seen more than a 100% improvement in his decision-making when running with the ball. He is still rather awkward sometimes but he is learning to do the safe thing.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I thought we should have waited at least until the bye to start Griff but that's another thread. I'm not sure what we should do now but I think he will start the rest of the year provided he does not get hurt.

For what it's worth, pocket passers get sacked less. The guys consistently in the top 10 for fewest sacks per attempt over the pass decade are Brady, Brees, Manning, Rivers, Stafford, Ryan, and Warner. They all make quick decisions and rarely try to extend plays with their legs. The two guys who occasionally sneak into this top 10 who do often try to extend plays with their legs are Rodgers and Romo. These two guys are not used as runners and they have a lot of experience.

We are in a bad place with Griff needing experience, Griff not being 100% (my opinion), Griff trying to extend plays, leaky oline, defenses head-hunting, refs permitting ragdoll treatment, etc. My guess is, if Cousins were to step in, he'd take fewer hits overall and almost definitely fewer big hits - for many reasons - one of which would be different play calling.


I'll admit traditionally pocket passers get sacked less. In his case though he gets most of his in the pocket.

Leaky Oline... This is where it all starts.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm

My God I hope that Griffin doesn't get hurt for the rest of this year. EVERYONE will suddenly have hindsight 20/20 analysis into why Shanny should have benched him when the season was over with.

Hog
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: NOW it's time to start Cousins

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:05 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:My God I hope that Griffin doesn't get hurt for the rest of this year. EVERYONE will suddenly have hindsight 20/20 analysis into why Shanny should have benched him when the season was over with.


I hear you. He was looking pretty good last game, much like he used to. That is the reason why he should play the last 4 games.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football