Breakdown of Redskins sacks by cause

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Breakdown of Redskins sacks by cause

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:45 am

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under- ... -confusion

This analysis doesn't focus on the Redskins, but it gives league-wide figures that make for an interesting comparison. FO attributes 13 sacks to blown blocks by our OL, 11 sacks as "coverage" sacks, and 9 caused by confusion.

Looking at all of the other offenses on the list, it strikes me that our wide receivers, playcalling, and to some degree RGIII's vision have caused just as many sacks as bad OL blocking. The same isn't necessarily true for other teams. Kind of interesting to see how the Skins stack up to the other teams with young quarterbacks (Indy, Seattle, Miami, SF).
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Re: Breakdown of Redskins sacks by cause

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 pm

despite what we saw and heard in the 49ers game - the stats indicate this offensive line has not been as bad as some have made it out to be …

I was recently looking through the various 'numbers' and they indicate a different picture than was attributed by some here

I must admit I was surprised
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I was just about to post a new thread called something like "Why does RGIII take the hits he does?" Then I was going to posit and ask for a breakdown. I haven't read this yet but my feeling was a lot of the hits are "on him." I'm thinking if everything else is the same but P. Manning is the QB, there are fewer hits.

Looking forward to reading.

Thanks.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Obviously the receivers have issues getting open sometimes, sometimes RGIII misses somebody. It's hard to ignore though that pressure occurs pretty much every time they try to pass, and its usually coming from multiple directions with only 4 or 5 people rushing.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm

brad7686 wrote:Obviously the receivers have issues getting open sometimes, sometimes RGIII misses somebody. It's hard to ignore though that pressure occurs pretty much every time they try to pass, and its usually coming from multiple directions with only 4 or 5 people rushing.

I agree with what you posted and especially with what we've all seen

go look at all the offensive stats - this offense has not had a bad season according to the 'numbers' over 12 games

I was very surprised after all we'd seen and heard from the know it all media
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I was just about to post a new thread called something like "Why does RGIII take the hits he does?" Then I was going to posit and ask for a breakdown. I haven't read this yet but my feeling was a lot of the hits are "on him." I'm thinking if everything else is the same but P. Manning is the QB, there are fewer hits.

Thanks.

Blown blocks and coverage sacks aren't on him... and that's where he takes the majority of his hits.
This doesn't take into account the blown blocks where he scrambles or makes a pass despite the poor line. The guy cant release quick since no one can get open... He HAS to release quick, though, since no one can block! He def has some room for improvement, but let's not call it what its not. Payton has much more time and better wr, so its apples and oranges don't ya think? I love Breezys and Brady's line... And how good our D makes everyone else's line. If rgiii had more time I could only imagine how much better he'd look. He gets hit on plays he DOES make a quick pass Smmfh!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I was just about to post a new thread called something like "Why does RGIII take the hits he does?" Then I was going to posit and ask for a breakdown. I haven't read this yet but my feeling was a lot of the hits are "on him." I'm thinking if everything else is the same but P. Manning is the QB, there are fewer hits.

Thanks.

Blown blocks and coverage sacks aren't on him... and that's where he takes the majority of his hits.
This doesn't take into account the blown blocks where he scrambles or makes a pass despite the poor line. The guy cant release quick since no one can get open... He HAS to release quick, though, since no one can block! He def has some room for improvement, but let's not call it what its not. Payton has much more time and better wr, so its apples and oranges don't ya think? I love Breezys and Brady's line... And how good our D makes everyone else's line. If rgiii had more time I could only imagine how much better he'd look. He gets hit on plays he DOES make a quick pass Smmfh!

+1 and like

brad7686 said:

It's hard to ignore though that pressure occurs pretty much every time they try to pass, and its usually coming from multiple directions with only 4 or 5 people rushing.

If we are up against a really good defensive front it is like a hot knife through butter. (9ners and Denver) KC scares me on what we are going to see.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Since we are blaming rgiii for all 9 of the "confusion" sacks I wonder how this line holds up for cousins... Suck to see him get broken behind this crap line... Looking at those league wide numbers I think RGiii actually makes these guys look better. Despite Cooley recently throwing a bf about rgiii and his development I think rgiii has made the best of what he was given... the 5.7% drops by our wideouts was much lower then I had guessed. It's what ever
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football