Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Postby RayNAustin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:41 pm

riggofan wrote:
It might happen, but he won't resign. Why willingly give up $7m? Snyder will have to fire him or keep him.
[/quote]

I don't think you're fully grasping the situation. If Snyder wants Kyle gone, HE could fire him, or just order Mike to do it. Mike would then have the choice of going along, or quitting. It's not as if Mike is going to suffer financial devastation over one year of salary. The man is set for life already. The angle here is what is the impact and implications for Kyle's career .... it would be better for dad and son to walk away, than to have dad fire son, or Snyder fire son, while dad finishes out his final year.

It's a pretty clever strategy that leaves Mike stuck between a rock and a hard plave. So let's say Mike refuses to fire Kyle (very safe bet). So Snyder fires him, and maybe even picks his replacement. You think Mike is going to stay just to collect the final year,s salary? Shanahan has much too much pride to bend over like that. He'll quit before he accepts
being dominated like that.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:27 am

SkinsJock wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Deadskins wrote:No cap hit next year, and even if we gave up what turns out to be a high 1st rounder, that just means all of our other picks are high in their round too. And in 2015, we'll not only have all of our money, but all of our picks too.

Hang on, are you saying that our record this year affects the draft picks for EVERY round next year?
I was under the impression it only applied to the 1st round.

I'd love for it to apply every round. All this draft placement and compensatory picks never made much sense to me.

:shock: - OK, how did you think the draft order was established after the first round?

If I knew the answer to that do you think I would have posted the question?

Now, enlighten me in more detail...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:33 am

RayNAustin wrote:
riggofan wrote:
It might happen, but he won't resign. Why willingly give up $7m? Snyder will have to fire him or keep him.

I don't think you're fully grasping the situation. If Snyder wants Kyle gone, HE could fire him, or just order Mike to do it. Mike would then have the choice of going along, or quitting. It's not as if Mike is going to suffer financial devastation over one year of salary. The man is set for life already. The angle here is what is the impact and implications for Kyle's career .... it would be better for dad and son to walk away, than to have dad fire son, or Snyder fire son, while dad finishes out his final year.

It's a pretty clever strategy that leaves Mike stuck between a rock and a hard plave. So let's say Mike refuses to fire Kyle (very safe bet). So Snyder fires him, and maybe even picks his replacement. You think Mike is going to stay just to collect the final year,s salary? Shanahan has much too much pride to bend over like that. He'll quit before he accepts

Hmmm. I don't think what you're writing is true or at least is oversimplified. This is what Don Banks wrote in SI this week:

I'm told that if the Redskins decide they want to part ways with Mike Shanahan with one year at $7 million left on his contract, they'll likely ask him to fire Kyle as OC, knowing he won't do it, but hoping he'll walk away from the fifth and final season of the deal.

That seems optimistic and way too easy of a conclusion, and I'm not sure why Mike Shanahan wouldn't call their bluff, make them fire him and collect his money.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... z2miF0Olxl

I don't know if that means only Mike can contractually fire his assistants/coordinators? Or maybe its a practical matter. For example, say Snyder overrides Mike and fires Kyle against his wishes. What would prevent Mike then from refusing to resign, doing an intentionally bad job/sabotaging the team and forcing Snyder to fire him? Do you see what I am saying? Its not at all that simple for Snyder to just fire Kyle if Mike doesn't want him to. All Mike has to do is refuse to resign through January or February, preventing Snyder from hiring a new coach.

I know that Mike is very wealthy, but $7m? Come on. There isn't a sane person alive who resigns and walks away from $7m in this situation. Especially in a situation where some rich guy is trying to screw you and your family over. Pride doesn't make you walk away. Pride makes you stick around.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:42 pm

AND - I really doubt that Snyder wants to treat Mike badly

OR

that he's going to interfere here

we shall see
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:08 pm

RayNAustin wrote:
riggofan wrote:

But why would Snyder want to fire Kyle, when he's running the #7 offense in the NFL, and #1 in rushing for two years straight. Seems to me, he'd be much more likely to demand Haslett's replacement to Kyle's. Or are you suggesting he might use that just as a tool to get Mike to leave?
Last edited by Deadskins on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:14 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Now, enlighten me in more detail...

The draft order goes in reverse of the previous year's finish. Every round has the same order unless there have been traded picks. At the end of some of the later rounds they have compensatory picks, where teams get an extra pick to make up for losing a valuable player to free agency. But the formula is a secret, so you never know what teams and what rounds until they've been announced.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Simply stated, the franchise with the worst record gets to have the 1st pick in each round - 1 then 33 then 65

as JSPB also stated - there are compensatory picks factored in there between rounds, as well
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Deadskins wrote:But why would Snyder want to fire Kyle, when he's running the #7 offense in the NFL, and #1 in rushing for two years straight. Seems to me, he'd be much more likely to demand Haslett's replacement to Kyle's. Or are you suggesting he might use that just as a tool to get Mike to leave?

Exactly. This is total speculation. But yeah, the reasoning is supposedly he would do that if he wanted to try to force Mike to resign.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:26 pm

I wonder if Kyle would stay here if offered the OC job again, if Mike gets axed. I'd rather him stay and see Mike, Haslett, and Burns get shown the door.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:40 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:But why would Snyder want to fire Kyle, when he's running the #7 offense in the NFL, and #1 in rushing for two years straight. Seems to me, he'd be much more likely to demand Haslett's replacement to Kyle's. Or are you suggesting he might use that just as a tool to get Mike to leave?

Exactly. This is total speculation. But yeah, the reasoning is supposedly he would do that if he wanted to try to force Mike to resign.

Yeah and Burns. It is hard to overlook ST. That alone without asking Kyle to be fired would be enough. If that isn't enough, JH although much better than Burns has no (relatively none) adjustments. If he does it great. I think we have something going at least. I also think JH did a little better when he was on the sideline. Maybe he gets a better feel.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:37 am

The real question here is: what if Mike doesn't get threatened and gets his 5th year but keeps both Burns and Haslett?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:49 pm

In the NFL, coaches who quit don't get paid. Those who get fired do. Once in a blue moon a settlement is reached where a guy agrees to leave and gets a severance package. It's just a fancy way of getting fired.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 am

DarthMonk wrote:In the NFL, coaches who quit don't get paid. Those who get fired do.
Once in a blue moon a settlement is reached where a guy agrees to leave and gets a severance package. It's just a fancy way of getting fired.

and your point is what?

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:27 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:The real question here is: what if Mike doesn't get threatened and gets his 5th year but keeps both Burns and Haslett?

ESPN has been teasing a story today on Countdown about problems between Snyder and Shanahan. Reported by Dan Graziano. Haven't seen anything yet, but doesn't bode well for the coach if that type of story is leaking out. Sounds like one side try to get out ahead of things ending.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:45 am

^^ true dat - Mike will not stay if he does not feel that he's got Dan's support

IF Dan does not think that Mike can get the job done or that he should have another year here then Dan & Mike will find a way to part ways

Dan and Mike don't want or need the 'hassle' of 'putting up with each other'

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football