Don't Fire Shanahan

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

Don't Fire Shanahan

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:05 am

Look, the Redskins are a mess... but let's chalk it up to a lost season and move on.

Bogus cap penalties and injuries killed this team. Can we really blame Shanahan and Haslet for not bringing able to afford any secondary help? How about for injuries to Carriker or Bowen? What about blaming them for the drop off of London Fletcher? Should we blame them for Sleepy Davis falling apart? Can we blame them for lacking the money to upgrade the offensive line?

Fact is, this team has a ton of talent that fits a system. Hitting the reset button means starting over from scratch, teaching RGIII a new system and flipping our current roster. No thanks.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Re: Don't Fire Shanahan

Postby SKINS#1 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:29 am

Given this business is based on current results, Shanny and his staff need a clear understanding - the fat lady is on her feet and expectations are high. I believe BA and Shanny will have sufficient resources to put together a winner in 2014 and anything less will be considered a failure and cause for termination.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:56 am

If Shanny is fired before the season is over, who's going to be the interim head coach? Haslett? Kyle? It's not like it would be any better. Let's finish the season with Mike, and see what happens in the offseason before he's fired.

Hog

Postby grampi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:09 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:If Shanny is fired before the season is over, who's going to be the interim head coach? Haslett? Kyle? It's not like it would be any better. Let's finish the season with Mike, and see what happens in the offseason before he's fired.

It can't be any worse either. This is going to be like ripping off a Band-Aid...it's gonna hurt no matter when it's done, so it might as well happen now so we can start the rebuilding of the coaching staff process...the sooner the better I say....

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:28 am

The only question now is about the timing; fire now, or wait four weeks. Frankly, I don't care.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

cappster

Postby Cappster » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:32 am

SKINS#1 wrote:Given this business is based on current results, Shanny and his staff need a clear understanding - the fat lady is on her feet and expectations are high. I believe BA and Shanny will have sufficient resources to put together a winner in 2014 and anything less will be considered a failure and cause for termination.

The fat lady has already sung. Our team has regressed tremendously from last season and a person can make up as many excuses as they want, but the facts still remain. We are one of the worst teams in football and bringing back Shanahan when he has already lost control is a setup for disaster. Time to move on...
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby grampi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 am

I have a question for those who don't want Shanny fired now. What possible good can come to the team by keeping him on? It isn't like the team is going to be any worse than they are right now even if the interim coach is some Joe Blow off the street. We have hit rock bottom!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 am

grampi wrote:I have a question for those who don't want Shanny fired now. What possible good can come to the team by keeping him on? It isn't like the team is going to be any worse than they are right now even if the interim coach is some Joe Blow off the street. We have hit rock bottom!

People are afraid of change. The results speak for themselves and I don't see any positives on keeping Shanahan on the coaching staff.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 am

Cappster wrote:
grampi wrote:I have a question for those who don't want Shanny fired now. What possible good can come to the team by keeping him on? It isn't like the team is going to be any worse than they are right now even if the interim coach is some Joe Blow off the street. We have hit rock bottom!

People are afraid of change. The results speak for themselves and I don't see any positives on keeping Shanahan on the coaching staff.

That's got nothing to do with it. I'm of the opinion that you don't change horses mid-stream. There are only three games left. What good does firing him immediately do? It sounds like he's going to quit at the end of the season anyway, so why pay him an extra seven million to have him out three weeks early?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:19 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Look, the Redskins are a mess... but let's chalk it up to a lost season and move on.

Bogus cap penalties and injuries killed this team. Can we really blame Shanahan and Haslet for not bringing able to afford any secondary help? How about for injuries to Carriker or Bowen? What about blaming them for the drop off of London Fletcher? Should we blame them for Sleepy Davis falling apart?Can we blame them for lacking the money to upgrade the offensive line?

Fact is, this team has a ton of talent that fits a system. Hitting the reset button means starting over from scratch, teaching RGIII a new system and flipping our current roster. No thanks.
When you posted this I was in agreeance. I was ready for coordinator changes and another run at it. Another round of painful media leaks and a 45-10 whipping at home changed my tune.

And yes, you can blame them. Had he actually developed a relationship with Haynesworth and not had that blow up then maybe they don't have to cut him. That is a big part of penalty right there. But, in fairness, maybe Haynesworth was an unworkable situation? You can still be angry about the salary management. The Redskins have a cap saver with a rookie QB with a salary not even in the same realm of elite QBs like Flacco, Manning, Brady, and others. Just wait until Redskins cap someday has to make room for RGIII extension. That makes up a lot of room from cap penalty. And even with cap penalty, there are a number of team spending less than the Redskins on salary. Not like the Redskins are on the budget of the Marlins while everyone else is Yankees/Red Sox.

And if you think the coaches should be able to throw up their arms and say "We just didn't expect this" about the decline of a 38 year old linebacker then not sure what to tell you. If anything we should be shocked how well he is playing for his age.

Every team has injuries.

And if Shanahan was putting his reliance on a TE who he had dog housed before and had off field issues who was also coming off an injury on top of all that, again I don't how to defend that. The team obviously wasn't hoping for much out of Davis or they wouldn't have taken Reed in the third.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 am

What good what it do to fire him at this point? The season's already over, and there's only 3 games left. Why fire him? There's no replacement on our team that could take over and do any better. I just don't see the point to fire him now. Now if he were fired a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't have been upset in the least. But IMO it's too late to fire him now.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:36 am

Seems like a moot point. I agreed with you a week ago, but Shanahan is trying to get out of here.

I don't think Snyder can really fire him before the end of the season though. Somebody has to coach the last three games. Who's going to want to do that?

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:38 am

riggofan wrote:Seems like a moot point. I agreed with you a week ago, but Shanahan is trying to get out of here.

I don't think Snyder can really fire him before the end of the season though. Somebody has to coach the last three games. Who's going to want to do that?

Do you think Shanny is trying to save face in an attempt to get another coaching job somewhere else? Seems weird that this report was leaked an hour before the game, but what would have happened had we won the game? I hate this circus sideshow our team has been for 20 years.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:38 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:

What good what it do to fire him at this point? The season's already over, and there's only 3 games left. Why fire him? There's no replacement on our team that could take over and do any better. I just don't see the point to fire him now. Now if he were fired a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't have been upset in the least. But IMO it's too late to fire him now.
Someone on Twitter said it best

If Shanny's camp wants to keep leaking reports painting RGIII/Snyder as evil, then Snyder should keep sitting back quietly... And hire McNabb as an offensive consultant for Kyle Shanahan. Your move, Mike
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:Seems like a moot point. I agreed with you a week ago, but Shanahan is trying to get out of here.

Do you think Shanny is trying to save face in an attempt to get another coaching job somewhere else? Seems weird that this report was leaked an hour before the game, but what would have happened had we won the game? I hate this circus sideshow our team has been for 20 years.
Shanahan's camp right now is going down swinging and will do its best to destroy RGIII and Snyder. I fully expect Shanahan's last field exit to be comparable to Marcus Hall at Ohio State.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football