Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Re: Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Postby Sonny9TD » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 am

Yea I heard him say how can you be penalized for going over the salary cap when there was no salary cap that year. Good point

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Deadskins wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Now, enlighten me in more detail...

The draft order goes in reverse of the previous year's finish. Every round has the same order unless there have been traded picks. At the end of some of the later rounds they have compensatory picks, where teams get an extra pick to make up for losing a valuable player to free agency. But the formula is a secret, so you never know what teams and what rounds until they've been announced.

Thanks man.

So really, as frustrating as this year has been, if the FO plays their cards wisely, it could end up for our ultimate good next year. Not saying I like to see us lose; just that at least we have a potentially "better" draft to look forward to.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Now, enlighten me in more detail...

The draft order goes in reverse of the previous year's finish. Every round has the same order unless there have been traded picks. At the end of some of the later rounds they have compensatory picks, where teams get an extra pick to make up for losing a valuable player to free agency. But the formula is a secret, so you never know what teams and what rounds until they've been announced.

Thanks man.

So really, as frustrating as this year has been, if the FO plays their cards wisely, it could end up for our ultimate good next year. Not saying I like to see us lose; just that at least we have a potentially "better" draft to look forward to.

Unfortunately, the Rams get the Redskins first round pick. I don't remember how many other picks the team traded to draft RGIII.

However, the cap penalty should be over, right? As Collinsworth put it, the extra cap space should be worth six good players. Two OL, one WR, a couple of DBs, and one more?

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:54 pm

welch wrote:
Unfortunately, the Rams get the Redskins first round pick. I don't remember how many other picks the team traded to draft RGIII.

However, the cap penalty should be over, right? As Collinsworth put it, the extra cap space should be worth six good players. Two OL, one WR, a couple of DBs, and one more?

Right, but our 2nd round pick (and so on) will be in better places. For example, a high 2nd round pick might get us a much better player than a mid-late 2nd round pick (and so forth). So even though we don't have a 1st round pick for next year, we at least are in a better position for the other rounds...I'll take that.

I'm viewing our ideal cap situation as a means to sign a "1st round" performance player in FA. Like you said, we'll have money to do a lot more than that as well. So really, next year could be an ideal situation for us as long as players are chosen wisely.

The following year, we have our 1st round pick again, and all the "restraints" are finished for us. If the FO plays their cards right, we may end up better off than what we would have been if we didn't trade up, or get the cap hit. Hard not to feel hopeful about that...

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:47 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
welch wrote:

Right, but our 2nd round pick (and so on) will be in better places. For example, a high 2nd round pick might get us a much better player than a mid-late 2nd round pick (and so forth). So even though we don't have a 1st round pick for next year, we at least are in a better position for the other rounds...I'll take that.

I'm viewing our ideal cap situation as a means to sign a "1st round" performance player in FA. Like you said, we'll have money to do a lot more than that as well. So really, next year could be an ideal situation for us as long as players are chosen wisely.

The following year, we have our 1st round pick again, and all the "restraints" are finished for us. If the FO plays their cards right, we may end up better off than what we would have been if we didn't trade up, or get the cap hit. Hard not to feel hopeful about that...

I like the optimism! Yes, the second rounds and the rest should be better choices. First, get a head coach.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:44 am

I would not mind seeing Russ Grimm in here if Mike is gone … I just hope that we don't bring in a college coach that Snyder would have 'control' over
No college coach is going to be able to keep Snyder away from the players

any coach that comes in needs to have a similar agreement with Snyder that Mike did - STAY AWAY FROM THE TEAM
I doubt that Briles or any 'weak' HC gets an agreement like that from Snyder
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:19 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I would not mind seeing Russ Grimm in here if Mike is gone … I just hope that we don't bring in a college coach that Snyder would have 'control' over

Had not thought about Russ Grimm, but nice one. Not flash enough for Snyder though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Russ with Greg Williams and bring in a real ST coach.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:27 am

Oh Jesus can you imagine another Spurrier being here!?

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:32 am

welch wrote:Unfortunately, the Rams get the Redskins first round pick. I don't remember how many other picks the team traded to draft RGIII.

The cap penalty is over, and Allen/Shanahan very wisely didn't restructure any contracts to shift the hit to 2015. Lots of reason for optimism there.

However, we also have a huge number of players (I think the count I saw was 7 defensive starters, for example) who are not under contract after this year. It might be a good time to let some of the players go — maybe Orakpo and one of our NTs — but we'll have to scramble to assemble a team for next year.

So no cap hit, but a lot of work to do. Even more if we've got a new coach coming in. He'll have to make a lot of very good decisions very early in his tenure in order to succeed.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

-----------

Postby Smithian » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:Oh Jesus can you imagine another Spurrier being here!?
The Eagles are enjoying a coach many of us, including me, referred to as another Spurrier.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 am

Smithian wrote:
The Eagles are enjoying a coach many of us, including me, referred to as another Spurrier.

The difference between Kelly and Spurrier, is that Kelly is all about execution, where Spurrier was all about scheme.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 am

Deadskins wrote:
Smithian wrote:

The difference between Kelly and Spurrier, is that Kelly is all about execution, where Spurrier was all about scheme.

+1 … and Kelly has adjusted to the NFL where Spurrier did not
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:19 am

Deadskins wrote:
Smithian wrote:

And Kelly is winning.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:33 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Smithian wrote:The Eagles are enjoying a coach many of us, including me, referred to as another Spurrier.

And Kelly is winning.

Because he's about execution. Once DC's figured out all they had to do was blitz the fun & gun, Spurrier was lost because he had nothing but that scheme. Kelly doesn't have to stick to the read option if it's not working. He can go with a more traditional NFL offense if he needs to, because he's all about execution rather than scheme.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football