Hognosications - Week 14

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
DarthMonk
Posts: 4220
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:00 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
my problem is I don't pick teams that I think will win - I pick the better team and hope they play to their capabilities


Indeed.

SkinsJock wrote:it's really amazing how many times the 'better' team loses and that they 'lose' games they easily could have won


Indeed. Pumped teams usually beat flat teams in the NFL regardless of talent.

Either way, JAG was the better team Thursday ... for whatever reason(s).
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby ACW » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:51 am

ATL-GB was tough. I picked ATL :oops: Would've been EASY if Rodgers had played.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15881
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:41 am

ACW wrote:ATL-GB was tough. I picked ATL :oops: Would've been EASY if Rodgers had played.

See, I thought GB at home in the cold against ATL was much easier than HOU-JAX, even without Rodgers.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4220
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:33 am

Sounds like we've discovered what is an easy pick for one guy may not be for another.

BTW ... Deadman ... in the past, have you reseeded as we've gone along in the Hognosti-playoffs and will you this year?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15881
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 am

DarthMonk wrote:Sounds like we've discovered what is an easy pick for one guy may not be for another.

BTW ... Deadman ... in the past, have you reseeded as we've gone along in the Hognosti-playoffs and will you this year?

Yes, and yes. The top 12 get divided into two conferences (HHC and DHC) #1 goes to the HHC, #2 to the DHC, #3 to the HHC, and so forth.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4220
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 am

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Sounds like we've discovered what is an easy pick for one guy may not be for another.

BTW ... Deadman ... in the past, have you reseeded as we've gone along in the Hognosti-playoffs and will you this year?

Yes, and yes. The top 12 get divided into two conferences (HHC and DHC) #1 goes to the HHC, #2 to the DHC, #3 to the HHC, and so forth.


a) So HHC = 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and DHC = 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 with 1, 3, 2, and 4 with byes?

b) ... and then you reseed within each conference after each round depending on who wins??

c) Also, does this not mean #5 has a "tougher" matchup (#11) than #4 (#12) right off the bat?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15881
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:59 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Sounds like we've discovered what is an easy pick for one guy may not be for another.

BTW ... Deadman ... in the past, have you reseeded as we've gone along in the Hognosti-playoffs and will you this year?

Yes, and yes. The top 12 get divided into two conferences (HHC and DHC) #1 goes to the HHC, #2 to the DHC, #3 to the HHC, and so forth.


a) So HHC = 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and DHC = 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 with 1, 3, 2, and 4 with byes?

b) ... and then you reseed within each conference after each round depending on who wins??

c) Also, does this not mean #5 has a "tougher" matchup (#11) than #4 (#12) right off the bat?

a) Yes
b) Yes
c) Nope. #4 has a bye. #6 will be playing #12. So actually, yes, #5 does have a tougher matchup than #4 right off the bat. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4220
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
BTW ... Deadman ... in the past, have you reseeded as we've gone along in the Hognosti-playoffs and will you this year?

Yes, and yes. The top 12 get divided into two conferences (HHC and DHC) #1 goes to the HHC, #2 to the DHC, #3 to the HHC, and so forth.


a) So HHC = 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and DHC = 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 with 1, 3, 2, and 4 with byes?

b) ... and then you reseed within each conference after each round depending on who wins??

c) Also, does this not mean #5 has a "tougher" matchup (#11) than #4 (#12) right off the bat?


Deadskins wrote:a) Yes
b) Yes
c) Nope. #4 has a bye. #6 will be playing #12. So actually, yes, #5 does have a tougher matchup than #4 right off the bat. :lol:


Thanks for the correction and clarification.

Now, does this bother you at all? I ask because a similar situation did not seem to sit well with you in THNFF.

Thanks.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15881
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:22 am

DarthMonk wrote:Now, does this bother you at all? I ask because a similar situation did not seem to sit well with you in THNFF.

Not the same at all. I will reseed after each round, whereas THNFF did not reseed, which is why I am upset about that.
Edit:
Or did you mean the bye week? I pattern the Hognostication playoffs after the NFL playoffs. THNFF has an eight team, one conference situation. And I was pulling for the six team version, anyway.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4220
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:33 pm

The similarity is the mere fact that a higher seed has a tougher matchup. That is occurring this week in THNFF. It occurs immediately in the Hognostication playoffs. What I'm asking "does it bother you" about is the fact that in the first round of the Hognostication playoffs a higher seeded team has a tougher matchup. It actually happens twice in our first round. 5 plays 11 and 7 plays 9 while 6 plays 12 and 8 plays 10. I find it slightly ironic that the lack of reseeding in THNFF bothers you and yet you immediately set up matchups that you would evidently call unfair in THNFF. I understand you are modeling the NFL. Presence of conferences put you in a bit of a seeding bind. No big deal. I just found it interesting. I like the format.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15881
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:06 pm

DarthMonk wrote:The similarity is the mere fact that a higher seed has a tougher matchup. That is occurring this week in THNFF. It occurs immediately in the Hognostication playoffs. What I'm asking "does it bother you" about is the fact that in the first round of the Hognostication playoffs a higher seeded team has a tougher matchup. It actually happens twice in our first round. 5 plays 11 and 7 plays 9 while 6 plays 12 and 8 plays 10. I find it slightly ironic that the lack of reseeding in THNFF bothers you and yet you immediately set up matchups that you would evidently call unfair in THNFF. I understand you are modeling the NFL. Presence of conferences put you in a bit of a seeding bind. No big deal. I just found it interesting. I like the format.

I never really thought about it before. It's a much bigger spread in THNFF, whereas in Hognostications the spread is even 6 spots and 2 spots in each conference. Also, consecutive seeds (5 and 6, eg) might actually have the same record, and their seeding is based on a tie-breaker. But I suppose I could go 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 12 in the HHC, and 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11 in the DHC, if that would make things more copacetic.
Last edited by Deadskins on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4220
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah, it's fairly interesting from a math/programming standpoint. The only real way out (I think) is no conferences. I wonder if the NFL will ever go that way. They have with the Pro Bowl ... I think.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15881
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:16 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Yeah, it's fairly interesting from a math/programming standpoint. The only real way out (I think) is no conferences. I wonder if the NFL will ever go that way. They have with the Pro Bowl ... I think.

There's no real need for conferences I guess. I was just modeling the NFL playoffs when it started eight years ago. I suppose we could go without this year as an experiment. The first four players still get a bye, 12@5, 11@6, 10@7, and 9@8. Then reseed and do it again for round 2.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4220
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Hognosications - Week 14

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Yeah, it's fairly interesting from a math/programming standpoint. The only real way out (I think) is no conferences. I wonder if the NFL will ever go that way. They have with the Pro Bowl ... I think.

There's no real need for conferences I guess. I was just modeling the NFL playoffs when it started eight years ago. I suppose we could go without this year as an experiment. The first four players still get a bye, 12@5, 11@6, 10@7, and 9@8. Then reseed and do it again for round 2.


I await your decison.

:hail:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Around the League