Playing Out The String

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Playing Out The String

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
This is a non story. Snyder agreed to shut him down. He's done for the season. It's Kirk's time now. That's about it. I don't buy into the report (after today's presser with Shanahan) anymore. I don't buy that the locker room is lost. There may be a rift between Snyder and Shanny, but I think it hs more to do with the team's record rather than other things that keep popping up in articles and the media.

Shanahan is being vilified for no apprent reason other than shutting down the beloved Griffin. And if he REALLY wanted to get fired, I doubt he would have went to Snyder first...he would have just benched him.

:shock:

Exactly. I like how he keeps pointing out that "Snyder agreed to shut him down" like these two guys have been putting their heads together and working together.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:27 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:If Kirk comes in and plays lights out, then there's definitely going to be more fuel to the fire. And rightfully so. Because then it would showcase that Griffin was in fact holding the team back on offense because of his poor play and bad decisions.

If he does it for all three games, maybe. But not this one game against a team with the same record as us.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I actually do think he's trying to protect Griffin for next year's offseason and preseason.

Then why start him in the snow, against a great D like the Chiefs, when we were already eliminated?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:32 pm

riggofan wrote:lol. Ok. Thanks for illustrating my point. We're going to compare Kirk Cousins playing against the 3-10 Falcons in a completely meaningless game to the games RGIII just played.

You do realize that Griffin has played against worse pass defenses than the Falcons, right? Cowboys, Packers, Vikings, Lions, and Chargers. We only won one of those games, BTW.
riggofan wrote:Exactly. I like how he keeps pointing out that "Snyder agreed to shut him down" like these two guys have been putting their heads together and working together.

Shanahan went to Snyder and told him he was thinking about shutting Griffin down. He said if Snyder or Allen objected he wouldn't do it. He said if they weren't committed to it 100% he wouldn't do it. Guess what? Griffin is inactive.

I have also read (I think on WaPo) that Snyder was po'ed that Griffin started in week 1.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I actually do think he's trying to protect Griffin for next year's offseason and preseason.

Then why start him in the snow, against a great D like the Chiefs, when we were already eliminated?

He's already explained that on Monday. The Chiefs D is good, but they weren't sacking QBs. They only had 2 sacks in the previous 4 or 5 games I think. Against us they had 6. That's alarming. The sacks are not all on the o-line. Some were on Griffin, and that's why Shanny wants to shut him down.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:40 pm

:roll:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

He's already explained that on Monday. The Chiefs D is good, but they weren't sacking QBs. They only had 2 sacks in the previous 4 or 5 games I think. Against us they had 6. That's alarming. The sacks are not all on the o-line. Some were on Griffin, and that's why Shanny wants to shut him down.

yeah our Oline has been kicking tail all year. I blame most of the sacks on Robert. Now we will have a real QB take over and show everyone just how great they are.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:39 pm

riggofan wrote::roll:

You can roll your eyes, but that is the explanation Shanny gave on Monday and at today's press conference. He actually claims that part of him wanted to sit Griffin for the Chiefs game, and that he had talked to Snyder/Allen about the possibility of doing so (again, something he'd be crazy to lie about). He compared it a bit to the Seattle playoff game, when he had a gut feeling that he should take Griffin out but made the wrong decision, and said that if Griffin had been hurt playing against KC he'd be sick about it.

If you watch the press conference, I think you'll see that Shanahan is generally being open and giving frank answers. Maybe people won't like what he says and will have disagreements with his POV, but I just don't get the sense that he's trying to cover up some larger, insidious thing. It sounds to me like he's still working according to a plan and trying to make decisions that will benefit the team come 2014 and beyond. (Again, not the work of a guy just looking to get his before getting the hell out of Dodge.)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:43 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:He's already explained that on Monday. The Chiefs D is good, but they weren't sacking QBs. They only had 2 sacks in the previous 4 or 5 games I think. Against us they had 6. That's alarming. The sacks are not all on the o-line. Some were on Griffin, and that's why Shanny wants to shut him down.

yeah our Oline has been kicking tail all year. I blame most of the sacks on Robert. Now we will have a real QB take over and show everyone just how great they are.

I can't tell whether you're being serious or sarcastic, but I actually posted a breakdown of the entire season's worth of sacks to THN this past week. Roughly 1/3rd of them can respectively be blamed on Griffin, blown o-line assignments and blocks, and WRs not getting open. I really don't expect to see much change when Cousins gets in — he's already been in a few times this year and there was no insta-provement.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:10 pm

I agree with FFA - I find it very intriguing that Mike is doing things because he thinks it will be better for the franchise and for Robert NEXT YEAR

I'm not at all sure that Mike will be back but that is not the typical thought process of a guy that's "playing out the string" IMO :)
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:He was shut down to protect him.

You don't really believe that, do you?

Call me naive if you want, but I do. I don't think the Machiavellian Shanahan narrative has much traction. He's talked about how he discussed these moves with Snyder and Allen and everyone was on board to do what he's decided to do. It would be stupid to lie about something like that, which is so easily verified/denied by Snyder or Allen.

His actions also appear to have the team's long-term interest in mind, IMHO, which wouldn't necessarily be the case if he was just looking to get his $7 million and leave town. Shanahan let the team take a bigger hit this year so that we wouldn't have lots of dead cap money going into 2014 and 2015. I actually do think he's trying to protect Griffin for next year's offseason and preseason.

Maybe it will turn out that this thing was rotten to the core, and the players were just doing a good job of saying the right things while waiting for things to change. I could be wrong. But right now I don't really see it. I see the media fueling a lot of this because it's a great story to pick at.

I call you "someone who thinks the way I do"!

Given that Griffin was hurt badly last season, had surgery, and has played in a knee brace all year, why put him into these last three games? Let the kid heal.

The Post sees every decision, and every blink or twitch as a sign of some plot by Shanahan. It plays up the rumpor that Snyder is tryoing to find a "cause" for firing Shanahan...so everything gets fitted into that story.

What if this is simply a good idea, and in the best interests of Griffin and the Redskins? Mike Rizo "stubbornly" shut down Zimmermann, Strasburg, Samy Solis, and Lucas Giolito after each had Tommy John surgery. The sports entertainment talkers yelped and howled, but Rizzo intended to protect the pitchers and the future of the Nats.

Maybe Shanahan is doing the same?

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:He's already explained that on Monday. The Chiefs D is good, but they weren't sacking QBs. They only had 2 sacks in the previous 4 or 5 games I think. Against us they had 6. That's alarming. The sacks are not all on the o-line. Some were on Griffin, and that's why Shanny wants to shut him down.

I can't tell whether you're being serious or sarcastic, but I actually posted a breakdown of the entire season's worth of sacks to THN this past week. Roughly 1/3rd of them can respectively be blamed on Griffin, blown o-line assignments and blocks, and WRs not getting open. I really don't expect to see much change when Cousins gets in — he's already been in a few times this year and there was no insta-provement.

Yes I was joking and that is what I was referring to. I really hope Cousins a less mobile QB doesn't get killed out there. Not that I want our franchise QB getting killed but someone slower
wont save us when hes getting knocked around. I think what he (Cousins) has going for him is he has more pocket presence. He isn't seeing stars yet from, being on his back all day, like most good Ds we have faced this year. Hell even Denver's suffering pass defense thrived because we can't block for longer than 2 seconds and we don't have a quick release Peyton (coach on the field) Any QB would suffer behind this line.

Here is the good news. Now he wont be the star of the circus. He is safe from that I hope.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:05 pm

I don't think that the offensive game planning and line blocking assignments will be the same for Cousins as they were for Robert ..

I expect Kirk to be fine and hopefully Kyle and he will be on the same page and have a good game

I'm looking forward to having a lot of you guys be shown up a little by Kirk and Kyle this Sunday

Robert is STILL our starting QB but Kirk is a very good QB and Kyle will have a good game plan to suit his abilities

Hail
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby hanburgerheel » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:41 pm

They should have started Cousins back on day 1 against the Eagles.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:47 am

I think we'll see something similar to the Cleveland game. Cousins will start off shaky (kind of how he's looked in the mop up work this year), but once he gets into a groove, he'll do just fine.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football