Can we be sure the QB carosuel has stopped?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Can we be sure the QB carosuel has stopped?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:30 am

I'm sorry guys, I just can't believe Spurrier. I don't know what it is. I understand Wuerffels "current" position. Its just so easy to imagine Spurrier yanking Ramsey at the notion of inconsistency. Its easy to imagine because we've seen it before. If we didn't have Wuerffel I'd be a little less worried because the rest of the QB's were so underdeveloped in the system that it'd force Spurrier to stick with him. But then if Ramsey gets hurt, I guess Wuerffel would be the best guy to fill in... :? boy that tasted nasty... OMG! :shock: someone cleanse me, I can't believe I said that. I only made that statement because of his knowledge, not his physical prowness, I have a better arm than him.

**Note** Spurrier to my knowledge hasn't said that Ramsey is "staying in", he has only said "he's our best QB".

So these are my questions for you guys...

1) Has Spurrier really changed?
2) How soon will we see a backup?
3) What must I sacrifice for the Skins Gods to forgive me for that compliment to Wuerffel?

Hog

Postby newshog » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:00 am

Chris--here's a sampling of quotes that might make you feel better:
Q to Steve Spurrier: By bringing Danny Wuerffel in, will you be at all tempted to replace Patrick Ramsey this season if things don't go the way you hope?
A: No, Patrick Ramsey is by far our best quarterback. I've said that many, many times.

Q to Danny Wuerffel: Do you get the impression that this team is not going to switch quarterbacks like it did last season?
A: I think there's no question Patrick's the guy. He's earned that spot. He played through tough times last year and came out doing well. He's got the talent to do anything he can. He's earned the spot, and I think everybody in this building knows that, and I think everyone's committed to supporting him to lead us.

The former Heisman Trophy winner for Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier at the University of Florida was part of the club's quarterback carousel last season, sharing the starting duties with Ramsey and Shane Matthews. Spurrier vowed that Wuerffel's presence will not tempt him to revert to such an arrangement again.

"We don't have any problems," Spurrier said. "Some people may want to create them, but we don't have any problems on our team who the quarterback is . . . . [Wuerffel is] capable but Patrick Ramsey is, by far, our best quarterback on this team."

But you do have a point--he never said that he won't ever pull him. But then, Spurrier has never guaranteed anybody anything--he simply, purely doesn't believe in doing it. And if you abide by the "best perfomer in the system is the one who plays" principle, as he most certainly does, then that's all you can hope to hear. Honestly, if Ramsey is doing so badly that he can be outplayed by Wuerffel or Johnson or Hamdan, he ought to be replaced by them--but I feel quite confident that we won't need to worry about that, barring injury.

You said, "Its easy to imagine because we've seen it before." But keep in mind, the whole reason that was the case last year is none of the three QBs was clearly better than the other two. This year, we have a QB who is CLEARLY better than the others below him in the depth chart. All that offseason work has well and truly paid off for Ramsey.

So I think my answers are:

1.) Yes and no ("Yes," he won't be quick with a hook, which is I think the question you're really asking. But "no" because he's abiding by the same principles that guided him last year. The best player will play. Last year, by his own admission there wasn't enough separating the QBs so he tried to find the hot hand.)

2.) Barring injury, not this season (unless it's in mop-up duty)

3.) Not a single thing! Don't be embarrassed--the kid has some serious assets he brings to the game. For our purposes, it is clearly the fact that he knows the FnG better than anyone save Spurrier. He sees the field very well. Remember, he had us marching up and down against St. Louis (the LaVar game-saving tackle game). He has virtually no ego. He wants to help the team however he can, which this year includes mentoring Ramsey.

His two main weaknesses are a weak arm (not so much a problem in the FnG where the QB is looking for receivers with separation--which won't be a problem this year given our receiving corps), and the fact that he's apparently injury-prone (hopefully he won't see any time this year anyway, and even if he does our monster O-line ought to offer him protection.)

So forget being embarrassed--be proud of the man! He's a straight-up good guy and a complete asset to the team.
Last edited by newshog on Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:33 am

Great, great points NewsHog, thanks for the reply. Thinking back over what I said, and taking ur opinions into consideration I see where you are coming from and agree.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:07 pm

From watching some of the practices last week, I know I was way worried about our QB situation. Ramsey looked Great, the rest did not. Johnson in particular looked horrid. We needed someone in. That being said, I don't know that Danny makes me feel all that more comfortable if Ramsey gets injured.

Danny looked better than Johnson for most of this morning's practice. Johnson hit 3 nice ones near the end, but other than that was horrid as usually. Danny looked nice with the exception that most of his passes were less than 10 yards. He didn't go downfield much (only twice I think).

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football