Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't even think it is close, Kirk Cousins is a much better NFL quarterback than Griffin. I think the Skins would still be in the division race if they had played Cousins instead of the injured and hapless Griffin. Starting the season with a quarterback that has a gimpy leg, who doesn't know how read defenses, change protections, release quickly to the open man or lead receivers open with passes when the backup quarterback can do all these things is stupid, Dan Snyder jock sniffer stupid.

Shanahan started the real quarterback today because he doesn't give a damn anymore. Snyder will be doing Shannahan a favor when he cans him. Two more weeks to go.

B-rad

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby brad7686 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:10 pm

He looks better than this year's RG3, but not last year's. Going forward who knows.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Griffin ran like a deer last season and could scramble around until the coverage broke down and the guy was wide open. Maybe he'll be able to do that again next year I don't know. What I do know is Cousins with next to nothing in NFL experience or practice plays like a real NFL QB, imagine how he'd perform if the Skin's had invested a lot of time on him instead of Griffin. To my eyes Cousins looks like the supremely talented young star and Griffin looks like the project the Skin picked up as a free agent and hope to shine up to trade.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:20 pm

Easy there...its only been one game. Sure Cousins is good, but teams don't have as much tape on him as they have on RG3.

Cousins is also not recovering mentally from a near career-ending injury; RG3 is just going through his slump, it will pass.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:07 pm

The comparison is not accurate...
Cousins came to the Redskins as a polished pro-style quarterback. He's been developed as a pocket passer for 10 years.
He is clearly skilled, and intelligent, is able to read and dissect defenses, set blocking, and work his progressions. He's also far more athletic than he's given credit for.

RG3 is a spread quarterback, who has relied on his world-class athleticism to free receivers. I said from the beginning, Bob must develop pocket skills to survive as a quarterback into his 30's. It's a shame that he had to start at the beginning of the season last year. He cannot survive as a pure read-option quarterback. It was CRITICAL that he have the last off season to begin that process... he did not get it. As a result, no matter how much he tried to develop the skills in live play, he simply did not have the benefit of a good enough line... the game did not slow down for him... and he has not been able to work on critical pocket skills.

So... it's true that Cousins is the more refined quarterback at this time. I knew that to be true last year, as well. I still believe that Bob WILL develop pro-style skills, and that his ceiling has the potential to be in the stratosphere. He's too intelligent not to grow. When he does... it will be LIGHTS OUT.

Both of these quarterbacks will take teams deep into the playoffs at some time. I think there's a good chance that both will end their careers wearing rings...

Bottom line... don't get too attached to Cousins... and don't give up on Bob.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Countertrey wrote:The comparison is not accurate...
Cousins came to the Redskins as a polished pro-style quarterback. He's been developed as a pocket passer for 10 years.
He is clearly skilled, and intelligent, is able to read and dissect defenses, set blocking, and work his progressions. He's also far more athletic than he's given credit for.

RG3 is a spread quarterback, who has relied on his world-class athleticism to free receivers. I said from the beginning, Bob must develop pocket skills to survive as a quarterback into his 30's. It's a shame that he had to start at the beginning of the season last year. He cannot survive as a pure read-option quarterback. It was CRITICAL that he have the last off season to begin that process... he did not get it. As a result, no matter how much he tried to develop the skills in live play, he simply did not have the benefit of a good enough line... the game did not slow down for him... and he has not been able to work on critical pocket skills.

So... it's true that Cousins is the more refined quarterback at this time. I knew that to be true last year, as well. I still believe that Bob WILL develop pro-style skills, and that his ceiling has the potential to be in the stratosphere. He's too intelligent not to grow. When he does... it will be LIGHTS OUT.

Both of these quarterbacks will take teams deep into the playoffs at some time. I think there's a good chance that both will end their careers wearing rings...

Love that last line!

Its going to be a sad day when Cousins signs else where, and I think he will thrive where ever he goes.

I think RG3 needs a better QB coach. I too, believe he will develop his skills, but I would like for most of that growth to happen before next year. Probably unrealistic hopes, but you get my point.

I'm far more comfortable with Cousins' style of offense (basically less QB running), and hope RG3's pocket passing skills grows so well that we all forget about his running days.

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:21 pm

No, it has been a lot more than one game we have all seen Griffin play many times and he needs to recover his mobility to cover his many deficiencies in the pocket or he won't be in the league long. Cousins is demonstrating he has the pocket passing skills to play in the NFl. I think 10 years from now Cousins will have done more in the league than Griffin. Some smart team is going to get him for a second round pick or two and have a 10 year starter.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 pm

I agree C'trey - Cousins will prove to be a valuable pick, but there should be no doubt that Robert is the QB that this franchise is looking to as the franchise QB

we are very lucky that the FO saw the potential in Kirk Cousins and brought him in here

there seems little doubt that if he continues to play like we saw today he will be traded but he also is valuable to us as a back up to Robert
Last edited by SkinsJock on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:30 pm

OldSchool wrote:No, it has been a lot more than one game we have all seen Griffin play many times and he needs to recover his mobility to cover his many deficiencies in the pocket or he won't be in the league long. Cousins is demonstrating he has the pocket passing skills to play in the NFl. I think 10 years from now Cousins will have done more in the league than Griffin. Some smart team is going to get him for a second round pick or two and have a 10 year starter.

I think the line just has him in a constant state of panic mode; kinda hard to be accurate when you're expecting to have to run for your life each play.

The "what ifs" of Cousins is what makes me reluctant to let him go, but he obviously wants to play, so you might as well pretty him up and trade him high (he'll just leave anyway once he's a free agent).

Lets just hope whoever we get with Cousins' draft picks, etc. ends up just as good or a better investment of what Cousin could have been.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:32 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I agree C'trey - There should be no doubt that Robert is the QB that this franchise is looking to as the franchise QB

we are very lucky that the FO saw the potential in Kirk Cousins and brought him in here

there seems little doubt that if he continues to play like we saw today he will be traded but he also is valuable to us as a back up to Robert

I think the Packers have demonstrated the importance of having a good backup QB. If we traded Cousins, we would still need to pick up another QB to backup Griffin. I just hope they don't use a draft pick on another backup.

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 pm

[quote="SkinsJock"]I agree C'trey - Cousins will prove to be a valuable pick, but there should be no doubt that Robert is the QB that this franchise is looking to as the franchise QB

At this point, it may depend on who is making the decision. If DS makes the decision I agree, it is RG3 but if MS is making the decision, I am not sure.

piggie

Postby hanburgerheel » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:46 pm

The whole "who's backing-up who" is a little skewed with these two. They are two very different style QB's. The offense runs completely different with these two. So, if one gets hurt, then the offense completely changes. You'd think you might want a relief to be able to run the offense just like the competent starter that just got hurt. I've seen some college programs use these two types of QB's in tandem in a single drive.

I'm still not sold on Griffin. I'm certainly not sold on him being worth what they gave for him.
i think Cousins is more fundamentally sound. He seems more humble and less of a media and corporate darling (which I prefer). Griffin got thrust into a position with accolades and obligations that he never earned. It's a real shame that the team lacks leadership and coaching that can be relied upon to correct the problems and emphasize the strengths. There is such a drama and mess in the program now that it's regressed to before Shanahan and company ever came. I'd be just as happy with Cousins, however. He threw some bad interceptions, but seemed to have much more composure and NFL-caliber skills.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Countertrey wrote:The comparison is not accurate...

You know, sometimes you're like Rodney Dangerfield and I'm like Sam Kinneson. Good answer. Good answer. I'm going to keep my eye on you....

Postby redskinz4ever » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:17 pm

cousins at this of their careers is a better all around QB ..... reading defense .... throwing from the pocket .... timing seems to be there for the most part.
he was more pro ready than RG3 ( so the draft experts said ) .... now turn that back before RG3 got hurt .... more exciting yes .... more explosive yes ..... RG3 had one amazing season .... moving forward i think this next 2 seasons will tell if RG3 can learn to play the QB position at a high level.
TOUCHDOWN .....WASHINGTON REDSKINS !!!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Losing to a team that is 3-10 must have some how still been RG3s fault... from the sideline.. The rgiii that played against the giants looked every bit as good as what we saw today. This TEAM is not run well- personell and coaches.. I have no doubt both qbs will be successful, and I also think rgiii is the better qb.
Good chat.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football