A Summary of how I think the Redskin mess unfolded

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

A Summary of how I think the Redskin mess unfolded

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:47 pm

A summary of how I think the Redskin mess unfolded.

Drafting RG3 was a DS decision - good short term financial decision but may not be a good football decision.

Drafting KC was a MS decision - we wondered WHY after drafting RG3. Was MS not comfortable with RG3 becoming a pocket QB?

In addition to the Redskins opponents in 2012, MS was surprised at the success of the read/option even to the point of playing RG3 when he was hurt.

In support of RG3, MS continued to say he gave the team the best chance to win. Was this real or just the company line. We know you can’t believe all you hear.

In 2013, MS must have thought the best system for the Redskins was to have a mobile pocket QB. Herein, lies the problem. This is not a RG3 strong point.

The unknown is - who is making the starting QB decision? If DS, then it doesn’t matter who the coach is as he will not be allowed to do his job. IF MS, I look for him to return and the starting QB job will be determined prior to the start of next yr. With both QBs having the opportunity to prove their value as a mobile pocket QB. LET THE BEST MAN WIN.

08 Champ

Re: A Summary of how I think the Redskin mess unfolded

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 pm

I'll be your huckleberry :wink:

When Mike came in here it was with the clear understanding that he was basically in charge of all things to do with the players and coaching staff and that Dan Snyder would not interfere with any of that - that agreement does not preclude Dan from having a 'relationship' or meeting on occasion with any player or any coach

I think that they have both kept to that 'agreement'

most of what we're hearing these days is IMHO a fabrication :D

so I guess I'm saying that I really don't see much of anything factual in that post :D

I'm of the opinion that it might be time for Mike to leave and I'm kind of OK with that but
there really is a slight chance that he and Dan might decide to leave things the way they are for the last year of his contract …

In the next month or so - we need a better personnel guy to come in as a real GM and we do need some changes to the coaching staff
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:26 pm

SkinsJock - My point was to try and understand the sequence of events to date based on a couple facts.
1. MS drafted KC after RG3, many on the board wondered why.
2. MS was/is trying to make RG3 a pocket QB.
Who knows the real story but I was making a rational summary based on what is known.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:31 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:A summary of how I think the Redskin mess unfolded.

Drafting RG3 was a DS decision - good short term financial decision but may not be a good football decision.

Drafting KC was a MS decision - we wondered WHY after drafting RG3. Was MS not comfortable with RG3 becoming a pocket QB?

No, I didn't wonder that. Shanahan drafted Cousins because he couldn't pass up the value he presented. Look at the players who were drafted right around the time Cousins was. Would we rather have our team without Cousins but with Omar Bolden, Nigel Bradham, or Philip Blake? Let's not act like we passed up on Luke Kuechly to get him.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:42 pm

That is the way I understood too Irn. If there is any truth to the rumor that Dan drafted Robert then that isn't good. I would have been disappointed had we not moved up to get him.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:52 pm

I think this is an excellent summary of how the Shanahan camp wants you to think the current mess unfolded. Whether its true or not, I don't have the slightest idea.

I will say this new story about Snyder being the one who wanted to draft RGIII, I just don't buy at all. Snyder may have been the guy who said do whatever it takes to move up, give up two number one picks, but really we're supposed to believe Snyder told Shanahan which QB we're drafting? That particular story just strikes me as complete BS.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:04 pm

There is simply no way that the RG3 pick was anything other than a Shanahan pick. Snyder loved the pick for marketing reasons, but there is absolutely no way that the pick would have been made if RG3 wasn't a guy that Shanahan wanted.

For a more likely scenario of how this mess arose, I'd refer you to the decision to move to a 3-4 defence for which we still don't have the best personnel, the appointment of a weak coaching staff, Shanahan's misplaced faith in his own talent evaluation capabilities, desperately poor selections of offensive linemen in the draft (apart from Trent, of course), a failure to recognise that RG3 needed to be taken out of the game against Seattle, and some seemingly very poor man management of our franchise QB.

In mitigation, it is fair to cite the cap penalty although it also fair to assert that, whilst the penalty was grossly unfair, it was also the result of a gamble by Shanahan and Allen that did not pay off.

The Zorn mess was on Snyder and Cerrato. Schottenheimer and Spurrier were on Snyder.

But THIS mess is almost entirely on Shanahan.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:06 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:There is simply no way that the RG3 pick was anything other than a Shanahan pick. Snyder loved the pick for marketing reasons, but there is absolutely no way that the pick would have been made if RG3 wasn't a guy that Shanahan wanted.

For a more likely scenario of how this mess arose, I'd refer you to the decision to move to a 3-4 defence for which we still don't have the best personnel, the appointment of a weak coaching staff, Shanahan's misplaced faith in his own talent evaluation capabilities, desperately poor selections of offensive linemen in the draft (apart from Trent, of course), a failure to recognise that RG3 needed to be taken out of the game against Seattle, and some seemingly very poor man management of our franchise QB.

In mitigation, it is fair to cite the cap penalty although it also fair to assert that, whilst the penalty was grossly unfair, it was also the result of a gamble by Shanahan and Allen that did not pay off.

The Zorn mess was on Snyder and Cerrato. Schottenheimer and Spurrier were on Snyder.

But THIS mess is almost entirely on Shanahan.

+1 Ahhh I see we are using logic. :) Good luck.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:42 pm

riggofan wrote:

I think this is an excellent summary of how the Shanahan camp wants you to think the current mess unfolded. Whether its true or not, I don't have the slightest idea.

I will say this new story about Snyder being the one who wanted to draft RGIII, I just don't buy at all. Snyder may have been the guy who said do whatever it takes to move up, give up two number one picks, but really we're supposed to believe Snyder told Shanahan which QB we're drafting? That particular story just strikes me as complete BS.

+1
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:04 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:In mitigation, it is fair to cite the cap penalty although it also fair to assert that, whilst the penalty was grossly unfair, it was also the result of a gamble by Shanahan and Allen that did not pay off.

We were going to lose that cap space because of Haynesworth and D. Hall contracts either way. Its not like we only lost the cap space because of what Shanahan and Allen did. So no its not really fair or correct to say that it was Shanahan/Allen's fault that we didn't have cap space for free agents the past two years.

I agree with most of what you wrote otherwise!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:00 pm

The seeds of our destruction were planted at the beginning when Shanny spent huge time, energy, and money to switch to the 4-3, which we were not equipped to run, and consequently refused to develop the offensive line to an acceptable degree. Other bad decisions followed, and some bad luck, but the tone was set.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:10 pm

^^^ THIS.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:The seeds of our destruction were planted at the beginning when Shanny spent huge time, energy, and money to switch to the 4-3, which we were not equipped to run, and consequently refused to develop the offensive line to an acceptable degree. Other bad decisions followed, and some bad luck, but the tone was set.

Plus 1. Switching the defense is the biggest screw up overall.
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:20 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:SkinsJock - My point was to try and understand the sequence of events to date based on a couple facts.
1. MS drafted KC after RG3, many on the board wondered why.
2. MS was/is trying to make RG3 a pocket QB.
Who knows the real story but I was making a rational summary based on what is known.

I agree that nobody knows for sure but we were told by Mike at the time when there were MANY questioning why Mike would take another QB he said "we could not believe he was there - we were not planning on taking him but we could not pass him up - it was too good a player to pass on"

So there were no ulterior motives as far as we know :D

and then a short time later we all thought that maybe we could get a draft pick for him …

now, I think we keep him - getting a first round pick is not worth it IMHO

why risk taking a first round player when you have a good back up QB - I think we keep him
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 pm

there are a lot of BS reports out there of Dan being involved with what happens on the field or that Dan and Mike are not getting along at all well

there's something happening here and it's not at all good but I do NOT believe its because of a rift or misunderstanding between Mike and Dan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football