Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||||||

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:18 pm

We've got two fabulous young quarterbacks. To be fair to Mike Shanahan, those were two good uses of draft picks (or is that 4, or 5 uses of draft picks?!). I am very glad that both these guys are in Washington, and I really don't want to see Kirk traded.

However, drafting quarterbacks is only the start. More than any other position, these guys need quality coaching from coaches they trust. I can't guess what Cousins' opinion of the coaches is, but I'm quite sure that RG3 has no faith at all in the coaching that he's been getting. The guy wants to be the very best player he can be, and he's being failed by this staff. Certainly, the injury caused him to lose a critical offseason of work, but there are basics that have not improved noticeably during the season. In fact, his play appears to have tailed off.

Kirk is going to be a tremendous quarterback in this league, in my opinion. But I remain convinced that RG3 can become the best we've ever seen in a Redskins uniform.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:09 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part. Griffin played medicore to sub-par in the majority of the games this year. But when he played well (against Chargers, Vikings, Giants) why were there no posts about how it should be expected because those teams defenses suck? It was all about Griffin coming back to his old self. Cousins has a good game and it's just because the defense sucked.

Well, the Chargers just beat the Broncos didn't they? I'm not really sure how bad their defense sucks either. :)

I hear what you're saying though, I'm just not sure I agree that there has been a lot of RGIII rah rah stuff. Those were bad losses to the Vikings and Giants. I don't remember people pointing out how great RGIII played in either game to be honest.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:15 pm

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part. Griffin played medicore to sub-par in the majority of the games this year. But when he played well (against Chargers, Vikings, Giants) why were there no posts about how it should be expected because those teams defenses suck? It was all about Griffin coming back to his old self. Cousins has a good game and it's just because the defense sucked.

Well, the Chargers just beat the Broncos didn't they? I'm not really sure how bad their defense sucks either. :)

I hear what you're saying though, I'm just not sure I agree that there has been a lot of RGIII rah rah stuff. Those were bad losses to the Vikings and Giants. I don't remember people pointing out how great RGIII played in either game to be honest.

In fairness, I might have been one of the few that described Roberts game (Giants) as being much like his old self. There was a lot of dropped balls that were right in the bread basket.

I also said I wasn't looking forward to KC and what they would do to us. The good news is we wont have to worry about really good defenses making our Oline look that bad for the rest of the year. I still expect Dallas to harass our line especially if Dallas puts up the points we know they can.
Last edited by Kilmer72 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:In fairness, I might have been one of the few that described Roberts game (Giants) as being much like his old self. There was a lot of dropped balls that were right in the bread basket.

Ah so YOU'RE the one!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:22 pm

:-#

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:24 pm

riggofan wrote:

I didn't mean solely on this message board, but pretty much all over other ones and comment sections across different websites.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Wow. I forgot RGIII threw for three TDs and 300 yards against the Vikings. That would have been as good as Kirk Cousins if he'd just tossed a couple picks and fumbled at least once...

Kidding!!! :)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:26 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:I didn't mean solely on this message board, but pretty much all over other ones and comment sections across different websites.

Gotcha. I think I said this before, but I really believe this game against the Cowboys will be a great test for Cousins and a much better game to compare the two QBs for whatever that is worth.

And personally I'm rooting for KC big time on Sunday even if it means we have more QB controversy to listen to for another week!!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Shanahan also said that Robert Griffin III is “clearly” the team’s starting quarterback and that no one should get “carried away” by Cousins’ 381 passing yards and three touchdowns on Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... arterback/

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
Shanahan also said that Robert Griffin III is “clearly” the team’s starting quarterback and that no one should get “carried away” by Cousins’ 381 passing yards and three touchdowns on Sunday.

Which MS followed up this gesture:

RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:20 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
oj wrote:
Countertrey wrote:The comparison is not accurate...
Cousins came to the Redskins as a polished pro-style quarterback. He's been developed as a pocket passer for 10 years.

Where is the 10year professional experience?

Straw man. Questioning a claim that was never made.

I'm guessing the 10 years of development as a pocket passer refers to 4 in high school, 4 in college, and 2 as a pro.
Thanks, DM, for actually putting in the minimal effort to actually read... and understand... the very simple concepts that I put forward in my post. Clearly, someone else doesn't intend to be taken seriously.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:37 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I'm glad we're seeing such good play from Cousins and I really do not think that we're going to trade him - not even for a 1st round pick

having a really good back up QB is a good thing and he's here

NOTHING is guaranteed but all the guys that know anything about this game think that Robert is a franchise QB
Cousins at this time is showing that he's a good NFL QB and given Robert's slow progress in developing into a future great QB - we should keep Cousins

I don't understand why it's such a big deal anyway - Cousins and Griffin are here and we're going to try and help them BOTH become better than they are now

Some may think that Cousins is the better QB - right now I'd say he is but there are some of us that think that Robert is a very special talent and future great QB

no big deal - they're both here

Nothing wrong with having two good QBs on the team IMO. Whenever a controversy starts I've found the perfect solution to solve everyones problems...put butter on your Pop-Tarts! If you haven't then I think you should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQnDvU4 ... ata_player
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:16 am

Kilmer72 wrote:

According to Cooley, he says whenever Mike downplays something it's really a huge deal in his mind. Cooley believes that Mike downplaying Kirk's performance was a way to deflect away from a qb controversy, but in Mike's mind he knows there's going to be one going forward.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:38 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:
Shanahan also said that Robert Griffin III is clearly the team’s starting quarterback and that no one should get “carried away” by Cousins’ 381 passing yards and three touchdowns on Sunday.

According to Co0ley, he says whenever Mike downplays something it's really a huge deal in his mind. Chris believes that Mike downplaying Kirk's performance was a way to deflect away from a qb controversy, but in Mike's mind he knows there's going to be one going forward.

I don't think there's a doubt in anyone's mind that Robert will be the starting QB - there may be some fans that think that Kirk will be the starting QB but that means squat

Robert will have to have a really bad off season and TC for that to happen and that is NOT happening - both of these QBs are good and want to get better

and they both will
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:39 am

Sunday's game was awefully revealing, and is causing me to rethink my opinion just a bit. The fumble was a breakdown by the oline, and can happen to any QB. The two picks were poor decisions-throws, but this was Cousins first action since last year, and only his second start. In two starts, he's got over 700 yards and 6 td's ...albeit against losing teams. Furthermore, he was forced into a 14 - 0 early hole, on the road. That is a tough spot, and I think by total measure, he had as good of a performance as anyone dare expect under the circumstances.

One of the points that cannot be lost here is that while the line no doubt has issues, Kirk's ability to complete several downfield plays suggest they aren't as bad as they have looked with Robert in there ... lending credence to those who were saying that a lot of the problem was Robert's slow reads, and inability to get the ball out of his hands, and a bit of happy feet.

I think it would be a disastrous mistake at this point to trade Cousins, because rg3 has done nothing this year to solidify his annointment as the indisputable long term answer. He may be, but the jury is still out.

If you ignore what was given up for RG3, and simply measure performance as a traditional drop back QB, Cousins has a definite edge. It's too risky and speculative to place upside potential ahead of performance and production.

The real issue at hand here is that should Cousins actually beat out Robert for the starting job, RG3 will instantly become the most disastrous trade decision the Redskins have ever made. Is anyone in the driver seat willing to bite that bullet? I don't think so. At least not anytime soon .... that would only happen in an extreme circumstance.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football