Where's Bruce?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||||||

Where's Bruce?

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:00 am

I haven't agreed with a lot that Mike Wise has said about the Redskins lately, but he asks a valid question in this piece:

Where is Bruce?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

During all this recent nonsense, Bruce has been conspicuous in his absence. My conclusion is that he is either being sidelined, or is deliberately standing clear so that he doesn't get covered in the same smelly stuff that has hit everybody else in public view at Redskins Park.

Anybody else been wondering where he is, and what he's doing?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

|||||||

Re: Where's Bruce?

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 am

So, nobody knows?

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:41 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:So, nobody knows?

Nobody who knows will speak. Every news report is from "anonymous sources", which makes each report about as reliable as gossip. I haven't read anything in response to the Wise column on Bruce Allen.

Maybe Allen is working quietly to find a new head coach?

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:38 am

welch wrote:

Nobody who knows will speak. Every news report is from "anonymous sources", which makes each report about as reliable as gossip. I haven't read anything in response to the Wise column on Bruce Allen.

... or maybe he's (GASP) JUST DOING HIS JOB. :shock:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:23 am

Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:

I'd agree with welch that he's most likely to be working on the coaching search.

As for speculating that he may just be "doing his job" - well, of course, he might be. In fact, identifying a shortlist of head coaching candidates would certainly fit with that. But in the past, he's been a very visible part of the organisation. Now, he's disappeared from public view. That may actually be a very good thing, but I just don't believe there's nothing to read into fact that he's running silent.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 am

Things are not as bad as they seem here - most all the 'reports' about Mike's status are typical anti Redskins garbage

we are not looking for a HC .... yet - Mike will get together with Dan at the end of the season and they will work out what's best for the franchise and for each other
Dan is not as 'unhappy' with Mike as the media are trying to make him out to be - the media do not know Dan Snyder very well and he's not giving them ANYTHING

Bruce, and the rest of the FO are waiting to see what Mike and Dan want to do - he's not a very strong personnel guy anyway, he's a financial guru

Mike will most likely be back if he wants to ... Mike and Dan will decide what's best for the franchise going forward

Kyle will only be back if Mike is here AND ... MOST importantly, if he has a really good relationship with Robert

Jim will likely be gone if Mike is here and is definitely gone if Mike is not here

Keith is lucky to still be here - he will not be returning
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:26 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:Nobody who knows will speak. Every news report is from "anonymous sources", which makes each report about as reliable as gossip. I haven't read anything in response to the Wise column on Bruce Allen.

I'd agree with welch that he's most likely to be working on the coaching search.

As for speculating that he may just be "doing his job" - well, of course, he might be. In fact, identifying a shortlist of head coaching candidates would certainly fit with that. But in the past, he's been a very visible part of the organisation. Now, he's disappeared from public view. That may actually be a very good thing, but I just don't believe there's nothing to read into fact that he's running silent.

I would dispute the highlighted assertion... He has generally kept a relatively low profile, since his initial high visibility hiring, with the exception of some brief announcements.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Countertrey wrote:I would dispute the highlighted assertion... He has generally kept a relatively low profile, since his initial high visibility hiring, with the exception of some brief announcements.

My bad. From where I'm watching, it's difficult to know. I was probably speculating beyond my safety zone (hey, I could be a journalist!).

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:39 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Things are not as bad as they seem here

They could hardly be worse, could they?!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:44 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Things are not as bad as they seem here - most all the 'reports' about Mike's status are typical anti Redskins garbage

we are not looking for a HC .... yet - Mike will get together with Dan at the end of the season and they will work out what's best for the franchise and for each other
Dan is not as 'unhappy' with Mike as the media are trying to make him out to be - the media do not know Dan Snyder very well and he's not giving them ANYTHING

Bruce, and the rest of the FO are waiting to see what Mike and Dan want to do - he's not a very strong personnel guy anyway, he's a financial guru

Mike will most likely be back if he wants to ... Mike and Dan will decide what's best for the franchise going forward

Kyle will only be back if Mike is here AND ... MOST importantly, if he has a really good relationship with Robert

Jim will likely be gone if Mike is here and is definitely gone if Mike is not here

Keith is lucky to still be here - he will not be returning

I am sure Mike wants his 7 million. Dan will decide not Mike. If I was a betting man I would put money on Mike being gone.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:28 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Things are not as bad as they seem here

They could hardly be worse, could they?!

I actually believe Mike for his reasons for benching Robert. It could get worse. If Robert did get injured that would make things much worse for sure.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:36 am

Robert DID get injured. If Mike was worried about him getting injured AGAIN, he should never have started him in week one. In fact, it's an argument for never playing him again.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:28 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:Robert DID get injured. If Mike was worried about him getting injured AGAIN, he should never have started him in week one. In fact, it's an argument for never playing him again.

No.

Bob's injuries were the direct result of his lack of pocket skills. Delayed awareness. Repeated hits within the pocket. Repeated hits when running FROM the pocket. Slow execution of progression reads in the pocket...

How many hits has he taken this year?

There are two things that can be done to change this. 1: Improve pass protection... this buys another second, sometimes 2. That requires getting to free agency and the draft.

2: Improve Bob's pocket passing tool kit. That requires Bob's full participation in off season development.

I don't have any problem with Shanny's thinking here. To assure Bob's growth, he MUST be mobile through the off season... Taking him out at this point, permits conservation of his health for this purpose, AND allows showcasing of Cousins as trade bait.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 am

Shanahan's thinking MIGHT make sense, but I can't see how the timing does.

But by this point, I'm almost past caring. Wake me up next August!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Countertrey wrote:
2: Improve Bob's pocket passing tool kit. That requires Bob's full participation in off season development.

I don't have any problem with Shanny's thinking here. To assure Bob's growth, he MUST be mobile through the off season... Taking him out at this point, permits conservation of his health for this purpose, AND allows showcasing of Cousins as trade bait.

What annoys me to no end about this is how opaque Shanahan is being about this. If this is indeed Mike's thinking, why didn't he just say it? It makes complete logical sense, and we'd all understand. Or say it's because he's not performing. That I think we'd get, too. But it's neither?

One week RG3 needs all the game reps he can get to improve. The next, Mike benches him because now he's worried about RG3's health? I guess he doesn't need reps anymore? And now you're worried about his health?

After the Seattle game, RG3 went back in after getting clearance from Dr. Andrews? But the next day, Mike admits he didn't get clearance from Andrews (or even a real exam)?

Mike has a problem giving any kind of truthful answer. I don't know what he's like to his players, but I sure would hope he's a lot more straight with them...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football