I was 100% wrong. Shanny needs to go...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

I was 100% wrong. Shanny needs to go...

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Mike Shanahan has been an absolute disaster in Washington.

He's 24-39 with the Redskins and the franchise is arguably in worse shape than it was when he arrived. We can argue about what he should have done (work with Jason Campbell until a better option became available.) but let's focus on what he did do. He was given huge amounts of authority. He's got final say in all personnel matters, he can even hire and fire all coaches (usually coordinators can hire and fire their own staffs) and he's even gotten the owner to build and invest in tons of upgrades to the weight room and practice facilities. You could argue that there's no other coach in the league who has had Mike Shanahan's level of autonomy. This is 100% his mess. He's been in charge the whole time. The good he's done (drafting Morris and Griffin, signing Garcon) really pales in comparison to the bad (McNabb, Brown, Bowen, Chester, .381 W/L%, etc. etc.)

Next season the Redskins will have a ton of salary cap space, I have absolutely no interest in letting Mike Shanahan spend that money. It's a huge chunk of cap that could alter the fortunes of the Redskins for years to come. Not only has Shanahan not been successful as a personnel guy, he's going to be a lame duck coach fighting for his job if he finishes his contract. That's a recipe for disaster. Shanahan absolutely, positively needs to go.

What the Redskins need is a coach who commands respect in the locker room, is young, is hungry and who provides counsel but has no personnel authority.

I do not know who this coach will be, but we need a system where there is a strict boundary between the front office and the team on the field. The front office should be strong. They should be the ones making personnel choices, they should be hiring a coach. The coach should be in charge of their staff, game preparation, handling the media, handling the players and setting the tone for practices, etc. Coordinators should be responsible for gameplanning and managing their staffs of position players. The team should have a complete reorganization where everyone has set and specific responsibilities.

The Redskins have a lot of talent, but they've underperformed due to bad coaching, bad preparation and a lack of depth. A good coach and smart personnel moves could make them into a playoff team in 2014. I hope Snyder makes the right moves. It's time to hit the reset button.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Re: I was 100% wrong. Shanny needs to go...

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:The Redskins have a lot of talent

I think this is where a lot of us have been wrong. You really can't have watched the worst special teams unit in our history and believe that we have "a lot of talent".

I agree with your point about the coaching, wish these coaches could have gotten more out of the players we have. But we need to add a few more play makers.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:58 pm

I think Dan did the right thing by hiring Mike. He was hoping someone would straighten out this mess that he and Vinny created. In hindsight it was the wrong move. Age? I am not sure that really matters but I agree with pretty much everything you said. I too wanted to ride this out with Mike. I think he has done some good things here. Unfortunately all this drama is on Mike and the losses and his coach's he hired.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:09 pm

I'd love for us to make a change at HC but if Dan Snyder is causing the players to not respect Mike then it really does not matter who the new HC is

I don't think that we have a lot of talent but I do think that we have a lot of key talent to build around and Bruce has us in the best financial shape we've been in for a while

nothing really matters though if Snyder is meddling or interfering again - I hope that this is not the case

there is nothing wrong with Dan having dinner every week with Griffin as long as he does not undermine the HC and I hope these reports are typical media BS and hype

the problem with owners that interfere is clearly evident with both the pukes and the Redskins

If Dan fires Mike next Monday, as is widely reported, we are in for an interesting ride and unfortunately it will not be much fun with dumb Dan in play again
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:18 pm

I just can't fault Dan for loaning out his security guards to make sure his young QB was safe. Sorry i just can't. As far as having dinner with Robert and his family who cares? I guess Mike does. This is like when we were kids and your bro gets the blue toy car instead instead of the red one. Who is the adult here?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I just can't fault Dan for loaning out his security guards to make sure his young QB was safe. Sorry i just can't. As far as having dinner with Robert and his family who cares? I guess Mike does. This is like when we were kids and your bro gets the blue toy car instead instead of the red one. Who is the adult here?

if you think that is an issue, we are in worse shape than I thought - what you are referring to is not an issue

the issue is only in that Dan needs to make it clear to the players that Mike has his full support and that Mike has complete authority over who plays and what the players do on the field - absolute authority

I think it's great that Dan shares with his players - that is not an issue or a problem for Mike

what might be happening though is that Dan is meddling and that is a huge issue and a big problem for Mike and us - it is part of the reason we have won only 3 games

players need to be totally in awe of their HC and if Dan is interfering with that - we are not going to be successful

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

piggie

Postby oj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:31 pm

The decision to go for 2 last week and loose the game and the decision to not go for 2 this week and loose the game are poor judgement calls. The head coach is paid for his judgement, those two game loosing decisions are inexcusible. One or the other is ok, not both.
Molon Labe

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:31 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:I just can't fault Dan for loaning out his security guards to make sure his young QB was safe. Sorry i just can't. As far as having dinner with Robert and his family who cares? I guess Mike does. This is like when we were kids and your bro gets the blue toy car instead instead of the red one. Who is the adult here?

if you think that is an issue, we are in worse shape than I thought - what you are referring to is not an issue

the issue is only in that Dan needs to make it clear to the players that Mike has his full support and that Mike has complete authority over who plays and what the players do on the field - absolute authority

I think it's great that Dan shares with his players - that is not an issue or a problem for Mike

what might be happening though is that Dan is meddling and that is a huge issue and a big problem for Mike and us - it is part of the reason we have won only 3 games

players need to be totally in awe of their HC and if Dan is interfering with that - we are not going to be successful

What rumors other than I stated have you heard?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

What rumors other than I stated have you heard?

NONE - I am ONLY concerned that Dan has made sure that the players know that he fully supports his HC about EVERYTHING

I could care less what Dan does or says as long as he makes it VERY clear that Mike is TOTALLY in charge - anything less than that is VERY BAD

If Dan has not done any meddling then Mike is at fault but no HC can help his team win games without total support from the owner

we will soon see the proof of who was responsible for this team's performance this season - Dan or Mike

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:16 pm

This is like who shot JFK. We may never know. Maybe we hear nothing but hearsay. Maybe Mike writes a book who knows?

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:28 pm

All we can go by is what we are told. We hear all these sources of anonymity. Logic tells us that Mike is in control. Correct me if I am wrong. If he is in charge then who is responsible? If not then, why hasn't he made it clear that Snyder is acting like a school child and a fan, instead of an owner? If Mike has a contract and he gets paid for quitting if Dan is acting like his old self, then why didn't he cash in? If I have this all wrong then why isn't Mike acting like a man? He has the credentials doesn't he?

the one thing I truely hate about this is Kyle. I think he is a really good offensive coordinator. Too bad he is a scapegoat. He might be a problem who knows?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:09 pm

this is simple - if Dan is interfering Mike cannot do his job and he is not responsible for the failure on the field

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:15 pm

SkinsJock wrote:this is simple - if Dan is interfering Mike cannot do his job and he is not responsible for the failure on the field

this is even more simple. If Mike has final say then what ever Dan does doesn't matter.

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:this is simple - if Dan is interfering Mike cannot do his job and he is not responsible for the failure on the field

this is even more simple. If Mike has final say then what ever Dan does doesn't matter.

Well, I disagree. On paper Mike has the final say. But if the owner, Snyder, decides he will get into the head of the franchise player, then Mike is put in a weakened position. Mike essentially loses control over the key player and in turn the team.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm not a lawyer but paper and contracts usually end in credence. Just ask judge Judy. #-o

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football