If Shanny Does Not Come Back ...

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
DarthMonk

If Shanny Does Not Come Back ...

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:17 pm

... who would be right for us?

I heard the intriguing "Cowher WITH LeBeau" today. I'll throw in Grimm as an assistant.

I'm gonna say anybody but Briles. We already know how it works "up here" with no playbook (think Zorn).
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: If Shanny Does Not Come Back ...

Postby Neo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:12 am

DarthMonk wrote:... who would be right for us?

I heard the intriguing "Cowher WITH LeBeau" today. I'll throw in Grimm as an assistant.

I'm gonna say anybody but Briles. We already know how it works "up here" with no playbook (think Zorn).

I like this Darth. I also think Briles is a bad idea.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:19 pm

I would not mind a Cowher, Le Beau, Grimm grouping at all but ... that is only if Dan Snyder is not responsible for what has happened here recently

no HC can get the players to play at the level they need to to be successful if the owner interferes - there is no accountability if the HC cannot have full authority over the players - the team meetings at the successful franchise involve players and coach, one on one, analyzing and breaking down each and every play from the game - if the HC does not have absolute authority over those players and if they are not freaked out about those meetings and how they played, there is no complete authority

THAT is what seems to be is wrong here and I'm hoping that is not the case
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:01 pm

I absolutely 100% want Art Briles to coach this team next season. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a convincing reason why he should not. The man is exactly the kind of coach the Redskins need:

• Has a history of rebuilding the culture of a losing team.
  • Is an innovator. He's not married to his "system" but rather he changes and adjusts. He does not run the same systems he did years ago.
  • They type of spread offense that he currently runs is ideally suited for all of our best offensive skill players like RGIII, Pierre Garcon, Trent Williams, Jordan Reed and Alfred Morris.
  • He's extremely well connected and it's been rumored that he would bring Gregg Williams or Mike Nolan along to part of his staff if he transitioned to the NFL level. He's also got a great eye for coaching talent and is not the type to fill his staff with cronies. He would look for young up and comers with fresh ideas and passion.
  • Allegedly he understands the role of HC and would not meddle in front office affairs. He would probably have say in a front office restructuring or bringing in a true GM but not be the type to control all aspects of the team.

He's basically the anti-Mike Shanahan and he's exactly what the Redskins need if they want to be successful. He might be a gruff old Texan but he's extremely modern. He's a big social media presence (like Pete Carroll) and he's on the cusp of innovating for the Spread offense (like Chip Kelly.) He is tailor made for the Washington Redskins and there's not a single coach who would fit better into our organization. It's foolish to discount him because the media would cast aspersions on the move and try to link the hiring to RGIII winning some bizarre power struggle. Honestly, that's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:I absolutely 100% want Art Briles to coach this team next season. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a convincing reason why he should not. The man is exactly the kind of coach the Redskins need:

• Has a history of rebuilding the culture of a losing team.
  • Is an innovator. He's not married to his "system" but rather he changes and adjusts. He does not run the same systems he did years ago.
  • They type of spread offense that he currently runs is ideally suited for all of our best offensive skill players like RGIII, Pierre Garcon, Trent Williams, Jordan Reed and Alfred Morris.
  • He's extremely well connected and it's been rumored that he would bring Gregg Williams or Mike Nolan along to part of his staff if he transitioned to the NFL level. He's also got a great eye for coaching talent and is not the type to fill his staff with cronies. He would look for young up and comers with fresh ideas and passion.
  • Allegedly he understands the role of HC and would not meddle in front office affairs. He would probably have say in a front office restructuring or bringing in a true GM but not be the type to control all aspects of the team.

He's basically the anti-Mike Shanahan and he's exactly what the Redskins need if they want to be successful. He might be a gruff old Texan but he's extremely modern. He's a big social media presence (like Pete Carroll) and he's on the cusp of innovating for the Spread offense (like Chip Kelly.) He is tailor made for the Washington Redskins and there's not a single coach who would fit better into our organization. It's foolish to discount him because the media would cast aspersions on the move and try to link the hiring to RGIII winning some bizarre power struggle. Honestly, that's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Sorry... after the Zorn catastrophe, I don't see Snyder taking this kind of risk on an unconventional coach... I just don't.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm just floored that anyone could think Zorn and Briles are connected in any way. Also, how is Briles "unconventional" he doesn't run some kind of gimmicky offense, he's innovating new ways to use the spread that are taking football by storm. There's nothing "unconventional" about that. Innovation and re-inventing ways to move the football are exactly the traits we need.

Joe Gibbs had an offense that was innovative for its day. Sure, Air Coryell was already established, but when Gibbs came to Washington he made adjustments, and improvements. He added a dominating running game and outschemed opponents because he is a brilliant offensive mind. The game had passed him by a bit by the time he returned for his second tour of duty, but he was still by far the best coach of the Snyder era. You need coaches who aren't set in their ways and who aren't married to their schemes.

Furthermore, I'm chuckling at the idea that Snyder would be against Briles. I'd bet he'd give his left nut to sign Briles. lol
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:I'm just floored that anyone could think Zorn and Briles are connected in any way. Also, how is Briles "unconventional" he doesn't run some kind of gimmicky offense, he's innovating new ways to use the spread that are taking football by storm. There's nothing "unconventional" about that. Innovation and re-inventing ways to move the football are exactly the traits we need.

Joe Gibbs had an offense that was innovative for its day. Sure, Air Coryell was already established, but when Gibbs came to Washington he made adjustments, and improvements. He added a dominating running game and outschemed opponents because he is a brilliant offensive mind. The game had passed him by a bit by the time he returned for his second tour of duty, but he was still by far the best coach of the Snyder era. You need coaches who aren't set in their ways and who aren't married to their schemes.

Furthermore, I'm chuckling at the idea that Snyder would be against Briles. I'd bet he'd give his left nut to sign Briles. lol
Gibbs offense was, in no way, unconventional. In fact, it was completely predictable. It used brute force, applied in an unstoppable manner, to move the ball. It was the prototype NFL offense, executed to perfection. He was unable to update it to compete effectively in the 2000's.
Steve Spurrier ran an offense that was completely unconventional for the NFL... and was (GASP) similar to what Briles does. How did that work out?
Zorn literally had no play book... kind of like (GASP) Briles... How did that work out.
What makes anyone think Snyder will stick his neck out on an unconventional quarterback again??? Chuckle away.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:35 pm

IF Mike does not return and Snyder gets involved again the future is obvious no matter who is brought in to be the HC - Briles, Cowher or either of the Gruden boys

IF Mike does not return and Dan brings in a GM to manage things we might have a chance ONLY IF Dan CONTINUES TO stay away from the day to day operations here

IF Mike does not return - the most important question is was the main reason due to Snyder's interfering - if that is so then it really does not matter because this franchise is going nowhere solely because of Snyder

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:20 am

Countertrey wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:I'm just floored that anyone could think Zorn and Briles are connected in any way. Also, how is Briles "unconventional" he doesn't run some kind of gimmicky offense, he's innovating new ways to use the spread that are taking football by storm. There's nothing "unconventional" about that. Innovation and re-inventing ways to move the football are exactly the traits we need.

Gibbs offense was, in no way, unconventional. In fact, it was completely predictable. It used brute force, applied in an unstoppable manner, to move the ball. It was the prototype NFL offense, executed to perfection. He was unable to update it to compete effectively in the 2000's.
Steve Spurrier ran an offense that was completely unconventional for the NFL... and was (GASP) similar to what Briles does. How did that work out?
Zorn literally had no play book... kind of like (GASP) Briles... How did that work out.
What makes anyone think Snyder will stick his neck out on an unconventional quarterback again??? Chuckle away.

WOW! I never wanted Briles because he failed to develop RG3 as a pocket passer. The reasons you listed are damn scary!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:29 am

Whether Mike is here or not I look for improvement next season ... and a run at the NFC title in 2015 ...

I don't see a need to change the HC ... I think this franchise will be more attractive to some top coaches at the end of next season ... without the controversies

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:35 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Whether Mike is here or not I look for improvement next season ... and a run at the NFC title in 2015 ...

I don't see a need to change the HC ... I think this franchise will be more attractive to some top coaches at the end of next season ... without the controversies

My biggest fear of MS returning is him refusal to deal with the oline, and the fact that 2014's free agent linemen has a handful of good targets. To me, it seems 2014 is the ideal time to rebuild the line...I just don't trust MS to address it.

Like I was saying in my previous post, he's always had undersized linemen.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:21 pm

I want to see Trent punish people in a throw back power line and Morris pounding the ball, lulling defenses to sleep. Then take that kill shot long bomb and ..... Well you know?

The next coach will address that line trust me. Sometimes garbage can be a treasure.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:48 am

Kilmer72 wrote:I want to see Trent punish people in a throw back power line and Morris pounding the ball, lulling defenses to sleep. Then take that kill shot long bomb and ..... Well you know?

The next coach will address that line trust me. Sometimes garbage can be a treasure.

What made us so unstoppable in the 80s-90s, as CT mentioned: "brute force, applied in an unstoppable manner, to move the ball. It was the prototype NFL offense, executed to perfection. He was unable to update it to compete effectively in the 2000's. "

Having a coach come here and adding in a new age twist to that would be a sight to see. For example, The Hogs 2.0 and The Posse 2.0 (guys you can just loft it up to, and they'll come down with it no matter what). We have a QB with a great arm, and he can definitely move better than Rypien :)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Neo wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:I want to see Trent punish people in a throw back power line and Morris pounding the ball, lulling defenses to sleep. Then take that kill shot long bomb and ..... Well you know?

What made us so unstoppable in the 80s-90s, as CT mentioned: "brute force, applied in an unstoppable manner, to move the ball. It was the prototype NFL offense, executed to perfection. He was unable to update it to compete effectively in the 2000's. "

It didn't need to be updated. When run competently it still functioned very effectively.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to General Manager's Office