Post-Game Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
SCskinsFan

Re: Post-Game Thread

Postby SCSkinsFan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:40 pm

My one big question is why didn't Riley, Jr. move over and cover Murray instead of being mesmorized by Romo's dazzling escapabilty? :?:
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:47 pm

SCSkinsFan wrote:My one big question is why didn't Riley, Jr. move over and cover Murray instead of being mesmorized by Romo's dazzling escapabilty? :?:

I don't blame Riley... they needed one more pass rusher...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:03 pm

SCSkinsFan wrote:My one big question is why didn't Riley, Jr. move over and cover Murray instead of being mesmorized by Romo's dazzling escapabilty? :?:

Someone with the Coaches' 22 tape or whatever it's called could probably do better but it looked like zone to me and, typically, guys have assignments like "outside 3rd" (of the field) and such. Looked to me like D. Hall left his responsibility and got sucked inside - much like when Romo hit someone at the pylon on opening day a few years back to steal one only, that time, he got bailed out when someone held Orakpo.

It would be interesting to know the defensive call there and the responsibilities. If it's man-to-man it's on Riley all the way.

It doesn't help that our left tackle goes down to the ground either.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Speaking of Orakpo, did anyone notice how many times his got flattened and the olineman was laying on him so he couldn't get up?

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:24 pm

On that last play, I would have to see the whole field. Unfortunately, the TV feed always follows the ball, so we can see the rushers (not enough of them rushed), but can't see the receivers run their routes.

However, the Redskins should have scored another FG sometime...and held a bigger lead.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:32 pm

welch wrote:On that last play, I would have to see the whole field. Unfortunately, the TV feed always follows the ball, so we can see the rushers (not enough of them rushed), but can't see the receivers run their routes.

However, the Redskins should have scored another FG sometime...and held a bigger lead.

This ... or maybe one more 1st down.

Then there is the timeout we took on defense while the clock was stopped. :hmm:

I think the ball was at our 4.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:26 pm

We couldn't even stop a hobble Romo...who is probably out for the season :oops: #-o
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:09 pm

DarthMonk wrote:

Someone with the Coaches' 22 tape or whatever it's called could probably do better but it looked like zone to me and, typically, guys have assignments like "outside 3rd" (of the field) and such. Looked to me like D. Hall left his responsibility and got sucked inside - much like when Romo hit someone at the pylon on opening day a few years back to steal one only, that time, he got bailed out when someone held Orakpo.

It would be interesting to know the defensive call there and the responsibilities. If it's man-to-man it's on Riley all the way.

It doesn't help that our left tackle goes down to the ground either.

That was Roy Williams that caught a TD in exactly the same place. As you said, furtunately the Skins got bailed out on the holding call when the held Orakpo.

And, also true, another pass ruher on his feet instead of being on the ground would have helped.

I'd rather have seen Riley go over and man up on Murray rather than covering his "zone". Zone D's are too easy to pick apart as they leave a lot of holes for a receiver to find the open space and sit down in. Especially when you have someone like Romo that can buy time, extend the play, and find that open man. Manning up on everyone might have forced Romoto try to tun for it. And being hobbled I think someone, even Riley, could have come up and made the stop. Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:42 pm

It's easy to blame Riley... but the fact is, both ends of that pass were in his area of responsibility, even in a man situation... as soon as Romo came free, Riley was in an untenable situation. Say what you want, Romo was looking pretty mobile on that play.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Romo was just following in a long line of Dallas divas who fake an injury and then are right back out there or never even come out at all. They do it so that if they win, they look gritty and tough, and the announcers swoon over them. And, if they lose, then there is that ready-made excuse.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Deadskins wrote:Romo was just following in a long line of Dallas divas who fake an injury and then are right back out there or never even come out at all. They do it so that if they win, they look gritty and tough, and the announcers swoon over them. And, if they lose, then there is that ready-made excuse.
Romo already has a world class excuse... he's Tony Romo. But, you say he's hoarding excuses???? What a jerk!

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:42 am

Countertrey wrote:It's easy to blame Riley... but the fact is, both ends of that pass were in his area of responsibility, even in a man situation... as soon as Romo came free, Riley was in an untenable situation. Say what you want, Romo was looking pretty mobile on that play.

Me, IMHO I would forced his hand and made Romo run for it. I truly believe someone could have come up and made the stop once he crossed the line of scrimmage. Of course that's all water under the bridge now and we'll never know.

Maybe we shouldn't be placing the blame on Riley but should be placing the blame on the D coordinator's scheme and his plan which places the players between a rock and a hard place. Same thing happened earlier on a 4th down conversion to Cole Beasley where he was able to find the open space in the zone in front of D Hall, sit down, and let Romo find him after, once again, buying time getting away from our feeble pass rush.

On the final TD play I just think you have to man up and go all out covering anything that moves straight up. If you get beat, you get beat, but at least, that way, you gave it everythng you had instead of looking like you got caught flat-footed in no man's land.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football