Names

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Names

Postby Snout » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:25 pm

Let's get the names right. It's Robert Griffin III -- NOT Bob. RGIII, not BGIII. Has the guy ever indicated that he would prefer to be called Bob? I don't think so. Most people named Robert prefer Robert instead of Bob, just like most people named Richard prefer Richard instead of Dick.

And it's Shanahan, not Shanny.

|||||||

Re: Names

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Er, thanks!
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:58 pm

I once knew a guy named Bobert.... He preffered bobby. I called him Bert.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:01 pm

ROTFALMAO - with a name like Jock I prefer almost anything but ....
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Wtf were you tinkin btw? Lmao even if you are a big jock... It's jus a wide open door in smack :twisted:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:14 pm

now that I think of it - I prefer Jock to Bobert - what were his parents thinking? :lol:
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Someone must've gotten a winter's worth of Coal... or, maybe some bad kimchi...

Seriously... I don't think Bob minds. Might be a problem for Shanny, though...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Shanny just texted me and says that BGIII prefers to be called Bob. He's a fan of Bill Murray, especially the film, "What About Bob?" That might just be why Bob seemed off this year. Instead of studying film, Bob decided to watch Bill Murray movies on Netflix all summer while Shanny was busy working on his tan.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Snout wrote:Let's get the names right. It's Robert Griffin III -- NOT Bob. RGIII, not BGIII. Has the guy ever indicated that he would prefer to be called Bob? I don't think so. Most people named Robert prefer Robert instead of Bob, just like most people named Richard prefer Richard instead of Dick.

And it's Shanahan, not Shanny.

Actually:

THE KID NEVER gave much thought to his suffix. His father would call him Rob or Robert, and his mother called him Robby. They made it a point to never refer to him as Trey or The Third.

School made Robby want out of the projects only more. At the military base, his long hair had been a novelty, but in New Orleans, the kids teased him mercilessly. They said he looked like a girl and nicknamed him Ponytail.

THE DAY he wore Griffin III on his jersey for the first time, there were 20,000 empty seats at Baylor's Floyd Casey Stadium. A year later, the crowds were chanting, "Robeeeerrt Griffiiiin" -- clap, clap ... clap, clap, clap. Before long, a Waco anchorman gave Robby the nickname that would stick for good: RG3.

Robby asked questions about the original Robert Griffin and heard about his toothy smile, about how he slapped almost everyone he met on the back. But it never came up again until Robby took the field for his first game as a Baylor Bear two years later, wearing Griffin III on the back of his jersey.

From his seat in the stadium that day, Robert Griffin II was stunned. No one had ever called his son "Robert Griffin the third," and he wasn't sure he was in favor of it. He'd named him Robert at his father's request and regretted it for years. He didn't want his son to feel the burden he had felt, of living up to his father's name. But the moment Robby showed up for that first game proudly wearing his Roman numeral, Robert Jr. realized his son -- soon to be known as RG3 -- had become his own man.

On if there are opportunities to gain extra yards when defenders pull up along the sidelines:
There is that opportunity sometimes, but the two situations that we’re talking about, I don’t think there was. With Rashean, I kind of stopped well inside inbounds to try to get him to hit me and he didn’t. He said, ‘I’m not taking that penalty, Griff,’ and I said, ‘I got you, man.’

12:56 p.m.
"Good job, Griff," Briles says with a slap on his quarterback's knee, after the cameras are off. "Nice manners at the end there, with the 'Miss Andrews.'"

Seems he was most often called Robby by the family. Players (teammates and opponents) and coach Briles call him Griff. I heard him answer the question "What do your friends call you?" with "Griff." Seems he was not called Robert very often at all.

:-"

As for Shanny, if either one of you doesn't like it ...

:moon:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:04 pm

I think it was Deangelo Hall who, after the draft, said something like "he's just gonna be Bob to me."

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:33 am

Countertrey wrote:I think it was Deangelo Hall who, after the draft, said something like "he's just gonna be Bob to me."

It was actually one of the vaGiants. He didn't call him that anymore after their first meeting.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:42 am

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I think it was Deangelo Hall who, after the draft, said something like "he's just gonna be Bob to me."

It was actually one of the vaGiants. He didn't call him that anymore after their first meeting.

Correct. I could be wrong but I think it was Justin Tuck. That's why I kind of like "Bob" — it repurposes something that was intended as a slight.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:59 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Correct. I could be wrong but I think it was Justin Tuck. That's why I kind of like "Bob" — it repurposes something that was intended as a slight.

Ah, yes, I remember now... that was before Bob turned him into a human corkscrew... and, it's when I started using "Bob"...

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:15 am

RG3Firsts1Second
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:11 pm

OldSchool wrote:RG3Firsts1Second

I musta been drunk or something. I just got this.

#-o
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football