POLL: Will Shanny Be The Redskins Head Coach in 2014?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Will Shanny be the head coach next year?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes : 25
the 'mudge

Re: POLL: Will Shanny Be The Redskins Head Coach in 2014?

Postby Countertrey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:The spawn of Buddy will be the DC (though I'd prefer the son of Bum)... I just puked in my mouth... a little.

Really? I don't think Rob is going anywhere. You think Rex is getting fired? And he would except the demotion to DC here? I think the son of Bum is a much more likely candidate.
Rob isn't... Rex is... and, yes, he'll take a demotion, because he's not getting any offers to the the boss. Wade won't be going anywhere.

Shanny is committed to the 3-4, always has been... therefore, the next DC will be a 3-4 guy... Rex will become available next week, probably Monday... Rex is on record saying that he expects to be fired. What I don't have a handle on, is what kind of relationship Rex and Shanny have.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:23 pm

You know... I am not even that ticked off over the losing as much as I am in the way Shanahan handled things. People skills,taking on too much as GM,HC,34 defense. I could live with him if he didn't have final say and he didn't talk to the press and he replace STC and DC and himself as GM. I would be shocked but willing to ride it out if all that happened. I don't see it. He will be fired more than likely and should be. My 2 cents

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:The spawn of Buddy will be the DC (though I'd prefer the son of Bum)... I just puked in my mouth... a little.

Really? I don't think Rob is going anywhere. You think Rex is getting fired? And he would except the demotion to DC here? I think the son of Bum is a much more likely candidate.
Rob isn't... Rex is... and, yes, he'll take a demotion, because he's not getting any offers to the the boss. Wade won't be going anywhere.

Shanny is committed to the 3-4, always has been... therefore, the next DC will be a 3-4 guy... Rex will become available next week, probably Monday... Rex is on record saying that he expects to be fired. What I don't have a handle on, is what kind of relationship Rex and Shanny have.

I know it is small-minded of me to hold a grudge for 23 years, and to hold it against the sons, but every time I hear of the Ryan boys I think of The Body Bag Game. I don't want either of them around the Redskins.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:55 pm

It is almost sacrilegious welch. I have to admit that the Buddy tree is really good at defense though. I wouldn't mind. He can motivate. He has experience dealing with the NY press. He is good enough to make adjustments on the fly. I don't don't know much about Rex but I do know he had failures as a head coach and would most likely dominate as a DC. He got a lot out of personnel issues. He won more than 3 games. I haven't looked his stats up but I bet he has more wins than Mike the past few years,; maybe not. I really hoped for the best for Jim. He seems good at times but is always mediocre when we need him and I believe handicapped coaching a 34 when offense needed too much help. It is not all JH fault but he needs to go because he can't adjust quickly. It takes him weeks.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:07 pm

I don't know why so many here think that Mike 'deserves' to be fired because of his record or his lack of communication skills ...

I'm not 'defending' Mike - I just think we're better off with him for 1 more season and making some changes in the coaching staff

we do not need the instability that will go with a whole new direction
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:21 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I don't know why so many here think that Mike 'deserves' to be fired because of his record or his lack of communication skills ...

I'm not 'defending' Mike - I just think we're better off with him for 1 more season and making some changes in the coaching staff

I hate instability too. I didn't want this despite Shanahan. Tell me why he has been a great or even doable coach at this point? He won 3 games in his 4th year. I know he has the Mora cap and Snyders/Vinny past to overcome. What else about him do you see as worthy? He tried and failed. I didn't want him but thought he would put down a sound structure. How many more examples do you need? He has done some good things and I give credit but he JUST CAN"T HC HERE!!!! NO MORE!!! Please I can't take it much longer. I want at least faith to have some kind of reality. I am not asking for much. Just a chance.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:53 am

I don't think Mike is a good HC but it's better for this franchise if he stays for 1 more year

If you just look at the wins and losses, Mike should be fired - If you want what's best for this franchise then Mike should be given 1 more year

make some coaching changes, add some free agents and continue to make good draft choices and the record will get better

simple really :lol:

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:55 am

welch wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Really? I don't think Rob is going anywhere. You think Rex is getting fired? And he would except the demotion to DC here? I think the son of Bum is a much more likely candidate.

I know it is small-minded of me to hold a grudge for 23 years, and to hold it against the sons, but every time I hear of the Ryan boys I think of The Body Bag Game. I don't want either of them around the Redskins.

Neither of us has to like it, my man... like him, or not, Rex Ryan can put together one bad as hell defense.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:04 am

:D I don't like Mike as a HC either but he's the best choice for this franchise for another year ...

and I agree that Rex could be a key ingredient for this defense for a year ...

Hail to the Redskins

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:37 am

I voted yes. If this season hadn't blown up into the ridiculous display that it did, I'd be supportive of giving Shanahan his fifth season to put things back together. With things having happened the way they did, I'm just not sure.

Either way, I don't think Danny keeps him around. I think he gave serious consideration to firing Shanahan immediately after the Chiefs game but decided to wait until the season was over. The reports we heard that week were a near clone of infamous loss to Detroit several years ago when Danny considered firing Zorn on the spot and bringing in Shanahan. So I think his mind is already made up.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:29 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I voted yes. If this season hadn't blown up into the ridiculous display that it did, I'd be supportive of giving Shanahan his fifth season to put things back together. With things having happened the way they did, I'm just not sure.

Either way, I don't think Danny keeps him around. I think he gave serious consideration to firing Shanahan immediately after the Chiefs game but decided to wait until the season was over. The reports we heard that week were a near clone of infamous loss to Detroit several years ago when Danny considered firing Zorn on the spot and bringing in Shanahan. So I think his mind is already made up.

Help me, Bru. I'm confused.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:43 am

I don't think Mike survives. I think he's gone. I think Snyder helped Griff poison the well.

Adam Schefter, who is likely closer to Mike Shanahan than any other reporter, was on ESPN 980 Wednesday afternoon. He was asked about the coach’s relationship to Robert Griffin III.

“I think it’s a business one, in the sense that Mike has gone out of his way to let it be known that he’s not going to be Robert’s friend; that he’s going to be Robert’s head coach and try to get the best out of him, which is his job,” Schefter said. “His job is not to be Robert’s friend. Other people in the organization have done that, and continue to do that. That’s not Mike. That’s not going to be Mike. Mike has a different perspective, a different outlook and a different desire in his relationship with RGIII.

“I think the fact that they don’t get along is overdone, overstated, overemphasized, whatever you want to say,” Schefter continued. “I think there are always issues between quarterbacks and head coaches. Quarterbacks want things a certain way, head coaches another sometimes. Look at Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers. Do they not get along now, after they argued on the sideline on Sunday? You know what, I think it’s inevitable that sometimes men in those positions are going to clash. But I think more than anything else — unlike OTHERS in that organization — Mike has not gone out of his way to be friends with RGIII.”

Yes, OTHERS was emphasized. So who were these unnamed others? Immediately, I thought of the person who went to an offseason movie screening with RGIII, who went to an offseason Cafe Milano dinner with RGIII, who went to an offseason fundraiser with RGIII, who dined with RGIII in Richmond, who joked with RGIII at a luncheon, who was asked to dance at RGIII’s wedding.

Thom Loverro must have thought the same thing. He asked Schefter about the perception that RGIII and Daniel Snyder have a relationship.

“That’s true,” Schefter said. “That’s not a perception. That’s true. That’s a fact.”

“That’s different from maybe other owners might have with their quarterbacks?” Loverro continued. “I’m assuming maybe different from what Pat Bowlen and John Elway had in Denver. I mean, do you think that complicates [the Shanahan-RGIII dynamic]? Do you think that maybe empowers Robert if there is a dispute, to feel that he can push his will?”

“I think both of those statements are true,” Schefter said. “I think it complicates it, and I think it empowers Robert. Yes. I think both those things are true. Now, Dan Snyder is a different owner than a lot of other owners, so he doesn’t conduct his business the way that Pat Bowlen conducts his business or the way that some other people conduct their business. Dan has been a tremendously successful business man, so it’s hard to argue about what he’s done and the way he’s handled his business, to me. But, saying that, yes, I do think that that has empowered RGIII. Yes.”

Then Loverro asked if that power would disappear were Mike Shanahan to receive a contract extension.

“I don’t think so,” Schefter said. “I don’t know if that’s the case. I think that there are always going to be certain little things — the push and pull between the quarterback and the head coach, the push and pull between an old-school coach and a new-aged quarterback who doesn’t handle himself like Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck. He’s a little bit more out there, and I mean out there publicizing himself, bringing attention to himself. He just is, [more] than those other guys. Am I wrong?”

Finally, Kevin Sheehan asked Schefter if he thinks Shanahan is bothered by that Snyder-RGIII relationship.

“I’ll say this: do I think he’s bothered by it? I don’t know that,” Schefter said. “But I don’t think that that’s the way that Mike does his job.”

“I think that Dan felt last year — and Dan was aware of this by the way — that Mike was prepared at one point to walk away,” said Schefter. “Dan was aware. That’s not a surprise to him. He 100 percent knew that. How did he know that? I don’t know.”

Schefter admitted that he wasn’t privy to any conversations between the coach and owner, but he remained firm in his statement that Snyder knew Shanahan wasn’t happy.

“I can tell you 100 percent that Dan was aware of this,” said Schefter. “He was. I think his feeling was, Mike was overreacting and that things were gonna work out. Mike should basically continue to work hard and things should work out. Clearly they haven’t.”

The ESPN analyst also spoke about the relationship between Shanahan and Robert Griffin III.

“I think people know how RGIII feels about Mike,” he said. “And again, we can sugarcoat this all we want. We can dry to dress it up and call it ‘lukewarm.’ The bottom line is, he doesn’t like the coach and I don’t think he wants the coach here. Period. And we talked about this, the little triangle of power here in the organization, there are two guys on one side and one on the other. Two guys will win, one guy’s gonna lose. Although in this case, everybody loses.”
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Oh, sorry. I voted No. I voted that Mike will be gone next year.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I don't know why so many here think that Mike 'deserves' to be fired because of his record or his lack of communication skills ...

Hmmm. I don't think these are mutually exclusive, man. I think Shanahan probably deserves to be fired because of how things went down the past five or six weeks. Losing games has been bad enough, but all of the media shenanigans especially. Most of the stuff Kilmer72 pointed out in his post.

Even so, I agree with you that I would probably rather see him get one more year with some major coaching staff changes.

And bringing in Rex Ryan is 100% cool with me at DC.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I voted yes. If this season hadn't blown up into the ridiculous display that it did, I'd be supportive of giving Shanahan his fifth season to put things back together. With things having happened the way they did, I'm just not sure.

Thank you. =D> That's how I feel about it.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football