Next Please!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||||||

Next Please!

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:18 pm

So, come on then: let's start the inevitable discussion about who people want as the next head coach. I'm not bothering to put up a poll, because I could list 15 people, and there'd be another dozen in the "other" category.

Yes, I know the sensible discussion to have first is the "what do we want a new front office structure to look like", but we're talking about the Redskins, and sensible doesn't come into the equation.

I'll start by giving some names that I absolutely, definitely, do NOT want as head coach:
Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Gregg Williams, Lovie Smith.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Re: Next Please!

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Would you be alright with Gregg Williams as the DC? I would. I doubt he ever comes back.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:35 pm

I hope we take a serious look at Todd Bowles and Jay Gruden.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:36 pm

Lovie Smith needs to work.some magic on our D... I'd prefer him as d coordinator tho
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Would you be alright with Gregg Williams as the DC? I would. I doubt he ever comes back.

Absolutely, I would. I just don't like him as a head coach candidate after the bounty stuff. And his track record as a head coach wasn't great.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Lovie will be in Houston or Tampa.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:I hope we take a serious look at Todd Bowles and Jay Gruden.

I keep coming back to Jay Gruden as a candidate, almost by default because I don't see obvious negatives, as I do with some other offensive coordinator type candidates.

Todd Bowles is another I'd be happy to see as a defensive coordinator candidate, but I just don't see the Redskins ever going with a defensive minded head coach. I think he may well get a chance at the top job somewhere in 2014 though.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Dream Hire: David Shaw

Top Rung: Bill O'Brien, Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Adam Gase

There's a list of OCs that would be fine: Aaron Kromer, Darrell Bevell, Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, and Ken Whisenhunt

If the Skins hire Mike Sherman like Mort said then I'll perform Seppuku. I really like Lovie Smith but he reportedly is hard on his OCs and we don't want the offense with RGIII to be in a state of flux.

Make the hire fast and go after top coordinators. Lots of big time minds currently available. Schwartz, Frazier, Chudzinski, and a big handful of big time assistants are out there. Gibbs had a lot of success stealing Gregg Williams as DC. Hopefully our new coach will strike while the iron is hot just like Gibbs.

My dark horse? Ray Horton. Don't think he even gets an interview, but I think if he was hired and found a good OC he would be the type of hire that would gain a lot of respect around the league and in the locker room.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:00 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
Burgundy&Wha? wrote:I hope we take a serious look at Todd Bowles and Jay Gruden.

I keep coming back to Jay Gruden as a candidate, almost by default because I don't see obvious negatives, as I do with some other offensive coordinator type candidates.

From what I've seen of him, he's got the same type of personality as his brother. Very fiery and passionate. I hate those offensive coordinator hires who are good Xs and Os guys, but clearly lacking in the leading and inspiring departments.

I really like the idea of a young, hungry coach. Get us a guy in his prime instead of paying Bill Cowher to come out of retirement and get the band back together for one last hurrah.

Seems like a lot of jobs opening up today, going to be some competition for these coaches. I'm guessing Lovie Smith is probably not going to be an option.

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Gotta remember. There is a lot more attractive places than Washington. Got Lions and Texans for example. We should get a defensive mind for a head coach and picking up a strong experienced offensive coordinator, who has some leadership skills and can handle the QB position well.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:06 pm

EA7649 wrote:Gotta remember. There is a lot more attractive places than Washington. Got Lions and Texans for example. We should get a defensive mind for a head coach and picking up a strong experienced offensive coordinator, who has some leadership skills and can handle the QB position well.
Maybe Houston but not Detroit.

Detroit is a bottom rung organization in the NFL. Washington may be bad, but it's bad with a lot of money.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Smithian wrote:Dream Hire: David Shaw

I'd be interested in David Shaw, especially if he could be paired up with a solid GM. I don't understand all of the love for Adam Gase though. I mean, I understand it, but the guy has Peyton Manning. How much credit does he really deserve for that offense?

Smithian wrote:There's a list of OCs that would be fine: Aaron Kromer, Darrell Bevell, Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, and Ken Whisenhunt

A lot of these guys are candidates for head coaching jobs this year or already OCs. Great point about making those coordinator hires quickly though and getting ahead on the best guys.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Smithian wrote:
EA7649 wrote:Gotta remember. There is a lot more attractive places than Washington. Got Lions and Texans for example. We should get a defensive mind for a head coach and picking up a strong experienced offensive coordinator, who has some leadership skills and can handle the QB position well.
Maybe Houston but not Detroit.

Detroit is a bottom rung organization in the NFL. Washington may be bad, but it's bad with a lot of money.

That may be true, but Detroit has Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson and a bunch of beasts on defense. That team SHOULD have made the playoffs this year. A coach can take that team over now with a legitimate chance to win immediately.

Or you can get paid $6m/yr to go 7-9 with a lousy Redskins team next year and completely ruin your reputation.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 pm

You all have to be more optimistic.

Detroit is Detroit.
Tampa Bay is way too MRSA-y.
Cleveland is Cleveland.

The Skins job is clearly more attractive than those three. Biggest competition right now is Houston. Minnesota has lots of talent but has two years coming up in a college stadium and ownership issues.

At the end of the day every coach is worried about money, for himself and a staff. The Skins will sign whatever checks need to be signed. Shanahan had no problem coming to the Redskins. Some new coach will look at the contract and happily come aboard. There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world. Each one is extremely valuable.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 pm

riggofan wrote:
Smithian wrote:Dream Hire: David Shaw

I'd be interested in David Shaw, especially if he could be paired up with a solid GM. I don't understand all of the love for Adam Gase though. I mean, I understand it, but the guy has Peyton Manning. How much credit does he really deserve for that offense?

Smithian wrote:There's a list of OCs that would be fine: Aaron Kromer, Darrell Bevell, Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, and Ken Whisenhunt

A lot of these guys are candidates for head coaching jobs this year or already OCs. Great point about making those coordinator hires quickly though and getting ahead on the best guys.
For Gase, I agree to an extent, but I really like McCoy in San Diego and I think Gase has a reputation for a reason.

The OCs list is for guys I wouldn't mind as head coach.

I think one of the Shanahan regime's greatest shortfalls was the poor assistant coaching staff. Zorn had a misfit staff. Gibbs was loaded. I think coaches should have final word on staff, but I hope Bruce Allen works with the new coach to hire a strong experienced staff.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football