Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I am so thankful that this train wreck is done. I never liked Shanahan being hired and his tenure does nothing but further validate that he would be NOTHING without John Elway. I hope this entire EX coaching staff get's on the same plane and it crashes and kills them all, yes that is how much I hate the NOW FIRED ENTIRE COACHING STAFF!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:30 pm

the post above is just unbelievable

UK Skins Fan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:There's nothing to be happy about it, the owner is still the same. What's the definition of insanity? ...doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results... And thus, here we are again.
Jetting off to throw millions of dollars at Bill Cowher would certainly fit the "same thing over and over again" definition, so let's hope that isn't on the agenda.
I'm hopeful, but not expectant, that the Redskins will get this right, this time.

we are in better shape than before Mike came here as far as the players and contracts are concerned ...

the owner can still make it impossible to do well however ... we shall see
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:46 pm

riggofan wrote:I was just looking at a poll on WashPost today. Who should be the next coach?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... e-redskins

Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden are the top picks. lol. It just shows you how unimaginative most fans are. Obviously the two biggest names everybody has heard of. Why in the world is Bill Cowher even on these lists anymore? Why not George Freaking Seifert while we're at it?

Yep. Or Tony Dungy, or Dick Vermeil.

Normally I think Skins fans are in the classier set of fans of NFL teams, but sometimes they are maddeningly stupid. They are calling for the ceiling to come crashing down on their heads but will complain when it does.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:50 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:It seems like today is probably the right day to acknowledge the positives of the Shanahan era. He definitely was handed a dreadful roster that also left us in a poor position against the cap. He leaves us with a weak roster, which has some promise in some key positions, and in a much better cap position. For that, I say thanks.

Agreed. The reality is that our offense is not far from being very competitive. Our defense and special teams need tons of work — I still think that can legitimately be laid at the feet of Mara's cap penalty — but Shanahan did a fantastic job of absorbing the entire penalty hit so that Washington no longer has to deal with it.

I will always remember Shanahan's years positively, even if only one of those was a winning season. On the whole I think he was a good, solid coach for our organization, even if things went to hell in his final season here. It's clear he made plenty of mistakes, but whoever follows him will have an easier job setting things straight than Shanahan faced.

Thanks for everything, Mike, and best of luck wherever you go next.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:55 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:I was just looking at a poll on WashPost today. Who should be the next coach?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... e-redskins

Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden are the top picks. lol. It just shows you how unimaginative most fans are. Obviously the two biggest names everybody has heard of. Why in the world is Bill Cowher even on these lists anymore? Why not George Freaking Seifert while we're at it?

Yep. Or Tony Dungy, or Dick Vermeil.

Normally I think Skins fans are in the classier set of fans of NFL teams, but sometimes they are maddeningly stupid. They are calling for the ceiling to come crashing down on their heads but will complain when it does.

This is the part that scares me about the hiring process and Dan Snyder. Will he be smart and make a football decision to get a coach who can actually get the job done? Or will he go for the marketing splash? Hire the brand name, well known guy that the mob is calling for just to make sure the season tickets get renewed and the seats are filled next September.

Whatever you want to say about Redskins fans, we get suckered in by these sideshows year after year after year after year.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:08 pm

riggofan wrote:Whatever you want to say about Redskins fans, we get suckered in by these sideshows year after year after year after year.

Not me. No more. Whoever comes in is DOA. I'll still watch and cheer, but I don't expect anything to change.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:11 pm

I don't know, but maybe it will take me a couple days to see this franchise being in a better place than when Shanacrap and son got here, because Haynesworth, McNabb, the switch to a 3-4, Keith Burns, the horrible choices for the entire right side of the offensive line, the non use of Fred Davis, this whole tenure to me has been a bust, and to end this with allowing RGIII to play in the playoff game, and allowing him to play week one, was and is just offensive on so many different levels, no matter what RGIII said or says Shanahan was the HC and should have done many things differently. So maybe they are better because of Red Lobster, but right now, seeing the Rams have the number 2 pick overall, to seeing this season and how disappointing these seasons have been with the exception of the 10-6 fluke year, sorry as I have said from Day 1 Shanahan isn't and wasn't the answer. PERIOD.......3-13 shows that more than any response anyone can give........I would say that with Zorn these types of things shouldn't have been a surprise but with a 2 time winning SB coach who supposedly is HOF bound, not this. But again this further proves IMHO that without Elway Red Lobster wouldn't have won nothing and is and was nothing without John Elway.......

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:13 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I don't know, but maybe it will take me a couple days to see this franchise being in a better place than when Shanacrap and son got here

If you can't see it now, you will never see it.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:32 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I don't know, but maybe it will take me a couple days to see this franchise being in a better place than when Shanacrap and son got here

Its going to take more than a couple days (and I could be completely wrong about this). But unless we just totally go old school Vinny Cerrato during the draft and free agency, I think there will be a point next season where people will give Shanahan/Allen some credit for laying the foundation and clearing out some of the old mess.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:36 pm

riggofan wrote:This is the part that scares me about the hiring process and Dan Snyder. Will he be smart and make a football decision to get a coach who can actually get the job done? Or will he go for the marketing splash? Hire the brand name, well known guy that the mob is calling for just to make sure the season tickets get renewed and the seats are filled next September.

Whatever you want to say about Redskins fans, we get suckered in by these sideshows year after year after year after year.

I hear you. Bruce Allen's press conference today did go some way in alleviating my fears. It wasn't a Snyder-splash; it was a man looking straight into our eyes and laying out where the organization is and how they are trying to change things going forward.

I'm not convinced yet, but I'm happy to see that Allen is at least in charge. I think we'll be much better off that way than if Snyder was seizing direct control again.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:This is the part that scares me about the hiring process and Dan Snyder. Will he be smart and make a football decision to get a coach who can actually get the job done? Or will he go for the marketing splash? Hire the brand name, well known guy that the mob is calling for just to make sure the season tickets get renewed and the seats are filled next September.

I hear you. Bruce Allen's press conference today did go some way in alleviating my fears. It wasn't a Snyder-splash; it was a man looking straight into our eyes and laying out where the organization is and how they are trying to change things going forward.

I'm not convinced yet, but I'm happy to see that Allen is at least in charge. I think we'll be much better off that way than if Snyder was seizing direct control again.

Cool, gotta take a look at that!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:48 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Its going to take more than a couple days (and I could be completely wrong about this). But unless we just totally go old school Vinny Cerrato during the draft and free agency, I think there will be a point next season where people will give Shanahan/Allen some credit for laying the foundation and clearing out some of the old mess.

Any rational fan should be able to give them the credit now. And give them credit for where they fell short. Whoever comes in has a ROTY at QB, a solid backup, a #1 WR and an amazing RB selected as an alternate to the probowl. This team now has an indoor facility, new training camp facilities and the list continues. It's a solid foundation.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Any rational fan should be able to give them the credit now. And give them credit for where they fell short. Whoever comes in has a ROTY at QB, a solid backup, a #1 WR and an amazing RB selected as an alternate to the probowl. This team now has an indoor facility, new training camp facilities and the list continues. It's a solid foundation.

Agreed. I am much more optimistic about our chances for near-future success than I was following Zorn's tenure.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Any rational fan should be able to give them the credit now. And give them credit for where they fell short. Whoever comes in has a ROTY at QB, a solid backup, a #1 WR and an amazing RB selected as an alternate to the probowl. This team now has an indoor facility, new training camp facilities and the list continues. It's a solid foundation.

I totally agree with you. Except the part about "rational fans". Didn't that guy post something today about wanting the coaching staff to have a plane crash??? :)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Agreed. I am much more optimistic about our chances for near-future success than I was following Zorn's tenure.

Great comment, man. I had not thought about it that way, but this sums it up. When Zorn left, I just expected we were in for a long haul rebuild. I don't think it has to be that way this time around, especially with Allen staying in place.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football