Bruce Allen press conference

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Bruce Allen press conference

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:34 pm

If you didn't tune into Allen's statement and Q&A, you should check it out. I really took some comfort/confidence out of it. I think Snyder is allowing Allen to retain control and is not stepping in Jerry Jones style. Allen acknowledged where the franchise is and wants to shoulder blame just as much as he is ready to blame Shanahan for where we are. He was respectful when discussing Shanahan and is looking forward with what sounds like a solid plan.

I am still skeptical, because I still think Snyder is the root of the problem, but I guess we'll see. Having Allen guide this process at least displays a level of professionalism, honestly, and vision that was unimaginable under Vinny Cerrato. I like that he will be the face of our organization in the head coaching search.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events ... a46af11689
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Re: Bruce Allen press conference

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm ok with this. Like I said in another thread. Bruce knows his limitations and he has good scouts. He said he would be picking the coach and I am comfortable.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:If you didn't tune into Allen's statement and Q&A, you should check it out. I really took some comfort/confidence out of it. I think Snyder is allowing Allen to retain control and is not stepping in Jerry Jones style. Allen acknowledged where the franchise is and wants to shoulder blame just as much as he is ready to blame Shanahan for where we are. He was respectful when discussing Shanahan and is looking forward with what sounds like a solid plan.

I am still skeptical, because I still think Snyder is the root of the problem, but I guess we'll see. Having Allen guide this process at least displays a level of professionalism, honestly, and vision that was unimaginable under Vinny Cerrato. I like that he will be the face of our organization in the head coaching search.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events ... a46af11689

I haven't had a chance to listen. The fact that you're comfortable has eased my tension a bit... But for the same reason stated, I can't truly believe anything he says.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm thinking it will have less dictatorship and more accountability in this new FO

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Allen's press conference was quite comforting. From his mantra of "us" and "we" with respect to how we've arrived at this point and more importantly how we are moving forward. I also liked both his being open to hiring a GM but insistence that he would trust his "personnel" guys to aid in this process of finding a coach. It communicated an air of recognizing the necessary change while maintaining the stability necessary to actually keep the momentum the franchise began under Shanahan while trying to correct what went wrong.

I also LOVE the way he dealt with the pinhead questions/shots directed at Snyder. My favorite was this gem "This will be Dan Snyder's 6th HC he's hiring, none of them have finished with a winning record, why should fans or anybody believe that this time will be better or work this time or be different?" (14:08 mark). This kind of fanboy philosophy question is laughable. What is the alternative there Sparky, just dissolve the franchise and stop hiring coaches? You do realize that Snyder owns the damn team, so unless you're ponying up the $1 Billion price tag to buy him out, come up with a better question. Asking Bruce if he thinks Snyder is too meddlesome? Go for it, fair game. But that question is amateur crap. Though I will give the reporter credit for a much better follow up question.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:31 pm

emoses14 wrote:Allen's press conference was quite comforting. From his mantra of "us" and "we" with respect to how we've arrived at this point and more importantly how we are moving forward. I also liked both his being open to hiring a GM but insistence that he would trust his "personnel" guys to aid in this process of finding a coach. It communicated an air of recognizing the necessary change while maintaining the stability necessary to actually keep the momentum the franchise began under Shanahan while trying to correct what went wrong.

I also LOVE the way he dealt with the pinhead questions/shots directed at Snyder. My favorite was this gem "This will be Dan Snyder's 6th HC he's hiring, none of them have finished with a winning record, why should fans or anybody believe that this time will be better or work this time or be different?" (14:08 mark). This kind of fanboy philosophy question is laughable. What is the alternative there Sparky, just dissolve the franchise and stop hiring coaches? You do realize that Snyder owns the damn team, so unless you're ponying up the $1 Billion price tag to buy him out, come up with a better question. Asking Bruce if he thinks Snyder is too meddlesome? Go for it, fair game. But that question is amateur crap. Though I will give the reporter credit for a much better follow up question.

He did handle the questions well. I hope the next coach has some PR skills as well.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:14 pm

According to Cooley Bruce is more responsible for the foundation of the FO and stabilty there than Mike.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:According to Cooley Bruce is more responsible for the foundation of the FO and stabilty there than Mike.
This has been pretty clear all along. Allen is the football business brain in the org. I'm perfectly comfortable with Allen running this, and thrilled that Danny has, apparently, recognized that his role is simply to own the team...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:According to Cooley Bruce is more responsible for the foundation of the FO and stabilty there than Mike.
This has been pretty clear all along. Allen is the football business brain in the org. I'm perfectly comfortable with Allen running this, and thrilled that Danny has, apparently, recognized that his role is simply to own the team...

I completely agree. I'm cool with Bruce taking the lead here, and if he really is in fact taking the lead, then...shocker...does that show Danny has finally learned something?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:37 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

I completely agree. I'm cool with Bruce taking the lead here, and if he really is in fact taking the lead, then...shocker...does that show Danny has finally learned something?

this is something that I hoped for from Dan Snyder - he gets the opportunity to get rid of the HC and at the same time does not jump in and get involved again

it's early yet but I am hopeful that Snyder will let the football guys manage this process

we are in this mess because of Snyder and we have taken some good steps in the right direction with Mike and Bruce - now it's time to get some better coaching in place
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:47 pm

So help me here...Allen said their emphasis on hiring a new coach will be on someone who will focus on fundamentals and time management. Fundamentals are obvious. I have to assume Shanny didn't focus enough on fundamentals (including our dreadful special teams and horrific tackling by our defense). Time management? Does that relate to time management in the game or time management for practices et al? This implies Shanny was not organized.

I hope Allen is the right guy. 'Cuz I'm very close to saying no hope 'till Snyder is gone.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Dan Snyder is not going anywhere ... but the hope is that the football guys here will take advantage of this 'opportunity'

it SEEMS that Dan Snyder is going to 'let' these FO guys get things straightened out - if that happens, he will stay away ...... hopefully
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:25 pm

GoSkins wrote:So help me here...Allen said their emphasis on hiring a new coach will be on someone who will focus on fundamentals and time management. Fundamentals are obvious. I have to assume Shanny didn't focus enough on fundamentals (including our dreadful special teams and horrific tackling by our defense). Time management? Does that relate to time management in the game or time management for practices et al? This implies Shanny was not organized.

I thought that was an odd comment too. He did clarify that by "time management" he meant a greater sense of urgency given how little time the team has to practice together and prepare. I guess it's possible Allen felt that Shanahan wasn't intense enough with how they ran practices.

I hope Allen is the right guy. 'Cuz I'm very close to saying no hope 'till Snyder is gone.

Me too. I'm reserving judgment on whether Allen is really in charge till after we see how the next head coach pans out. I thought Snyder was done interfering when Shanahan came on board. Maybe the "Snyder" side of the story is true and he really did do everything possible to stay out of Shanahan's way . . . but I haven't bought that line yet. I guess we'll see in a few more years . . . :|
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Neo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I'm ok with this. Like I said in another thread. Bruce knows his limitations and he has good scouts. He said he would be picking the coach and I am comfortable.

I always felt Bruce was a straight-forward, no BS kind of guy. Whenever they have him speak, it seems he's there to be transparent and clear the air; I trust his honesty.

I agree with your point that he knows his limitations as well. I think we both can agree that a true GM would be better, but Allen w/ a "GM team" if you will, will lead him to success. I'm grateful we still have him; he will do wonders with our extra cap money in 2014 and I don't foresee any foolish financial transactions in 2014 under him.

Things are looking a little brighter already.

HAIL!!
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby Neo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:41 pm

GoSkins wrote:So help me here...Allen said their emphasis on hiring a new coach will be on someone who will focus on fundamentals and time management. Fundamentals are obvious. I have to assume Shanny didn't focus enough on fundamentals (including our dreadful special teams and horrific tackling by our defense). Time management? Does that relate to time management in the game or time management for practices et al? This implies Shanny was not organized.

It seemed the time management statement was more of a rhetorical statement. I gather that from what he said next (paraphrasing here...) "you don't have much time in the offseason and practice to work with players."

To me, it seems he was merely stating the obvious; we have a lot of work to do on these guys and there's not much time between now and the next season. I don't think there's anything else to that statement; one thing I do like about Bruce is that he's always been forthcoming; I never heard him give any elusive answers.

I think we can all rest for now knowing Bruce is running the org like a true GM and is seeking out help from others in areas he knows he's weak. This is GREAT! Exactly the mentality we need right now.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football