Next Please!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Next Please!

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:48 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Here's a list conjured up by John Clayton as ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10111 ... ington-job):

1. Baylor head coach Art Briles
2. Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin
3. Stanford head coach David Shaw
4. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly
5. San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman
6. Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell
7. San Diego Chargers assistant coach Ken Whisenhunt
8. Cincinnati Bengals assistant coach Hue Jackson
9. Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden
10. Former Arizona Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm

Out of that list, Briles is exciting, but the guy has never been out of Texas unless due to a faulty satnav - he may struggle to manage the media side of the role. And the reaction of the rest of the locker room to the appointment of RG3's alternative father figure as head coach worries me.

Sumlin has just signed a huge contract extension, and might be impossible. Shaw has already said he doesn't plan to leave Stanford. Doesn't rule him out, but many think he'll be impossible to lure.

No idea why Kelly is even on the list!

Greg Roman and Darrell Bevell are both valid candidates, as they are successfully working with mobile young quarterbacks and like to run the ball, hard and often. Granted, Roman has a lot of talent to work with on the o-line and at wide receiver. Not sure that the Seahawks o-line is much better than ours though.

Whisenhunt doesn't inspire, and I don't think he's the sort of hot name that the Redskins will go for. But he has been a head coach before, and could be a lot more successful second time round.

Hue Jackson? Excuse me?!

Jay Gruden has to be a candidate. Dalton is a decent but not elite QB, but Gruden is getting decent results out of him. And I like what he does with those tight ends he has in Cincinatti.

Russ Grimm - don't see it happening at all, from what I've read of Snyder's opinion of him. Snyder MAY take a backseat on this appointment, but I have no doubt that he'll retain power of veto at least. And why wouldn't he?

So, out of that list, it's Roman, Bevell or Gruden for me. No idea why Bill O'Brien isn't on that list, or defensive coordinator candidates like Bowles, Horton and Zimmer.

Well...What happened there?

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Jesus please say no to Art Briles. That would officially make me hate Griffin.

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Jesus please say no to Art Briles. That would officially make me hate Griffin.

+1 That would be a disaster [-X
R.I.P. Taylor!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Well...What happened there?

I don't know anything for certain, just snippets of rumours, lol. Snyder likes "yes sir", "no sir", "I'm delighted you've given me the opportunity sir" types. Grimm is a blue collar, hard as nails, tell it like it is sort of guy. Too likely to speak his mind and unlikely to bow and scrape.

Also, he hasn't got a top job anywhere else in the league either. Where is he now? (seriously, I have no idea what he's doing)
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:35 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:

I don't know anything for certain, just snippets of rumours, lol. Snyder likes "yes sir", "no sir", "I'm delighted you've given me the opportunity sir" types. Grimm is a blue collar, hard as nails, tell it like it is sort of guy. Too likely to speak his mind and unlikely to bow and scrape.

Also, he hasn't got a top job anywhere else in the league either. Where is he now? (seriously, I have no idea what he's doing)

This is where Bruce should come in handy. A buffer if you will. [-o<

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:38 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Here's a list conjured up by John Clayton as ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10111 ... ington-job):

1. Baylor head coach Art Briles
2. Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin
3. Stanford head coach David Shaw
4. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly
5. San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman
6. Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell
7. San Diego Chargers assistant coach Ken Whisenhunt
8. Cincinnati Bengals assistant coach Hue Jackson
9. Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden
10. Former Arizona Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm

Out of that list, Briles is exciting, but the guy has never been out of Texas unless due to a faulty satnav - he may struggle to manage the media side of the role. And the reaction of the rest of the locker room to the appointment of RG3's alternative father figure as head coach worries me.

Sumlin has just signed a huge contract extension, and might be impossible. Shaw has already said he doesn't plan to leave Stanford. Doesn't rule him out, but many think he'll be impossible to lure.

No idea why Kelly is even on the list!

Greg Roman and Darrell Bevell are both valid candidates, as they are successfully working with mobile young quarterbacks and like to run the ball, hard and often. Granted, Roman has a lot of talent to work with on the o-line and at wide receiver. Not sure that the Seahawks o-line is much better than ours though.

Whisenhunt doesn't inspire, and I don't think he's the sort of hot name that the Redskins will go for. But he has been a head coach before, and could be a lot more successful second time round.

Hue Jackson? Excuse me?!

Jay Gruden has to be a candidate. Dalton is a decent but not elite QB, but Gruden is getting decent results out of him. And I like what he does with those tight ends he has in Cincinatti.

Russ Grimm - don't see it happening at all, from what I've read of Snyder's opinion of him. Snyder MAY take a backseat on this appointment, but I have no doubt that he'll retain power of veto at least. And why wouldn't he?

So, out of that list, it's Roman, Bevell or Gruden for me. No idea why Bill O'Brien isn't on that list, or defensive coordinator candidates like Bowles, Horton and Zimmer.

I'd be pleased with those 3 coordinators. (More Seattle's though I like how he uses Wilson and their whole offensive scheme) Hopefully we can figure out defense.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

we need to hire a HC that will 'manage' the team - he then needs to have V good assistant coaches to coach up the players

HC's are no longer the play callers - they mostly let their assistants do that and are there to make sure their assistant coaches do the job in the manner he wants them to

I hope we get a good HC that is a good manager of the players and demands and gets respect from his players
then
I hope this FO and the HC bring in some super assistant coaches to bring these guys into line and to make them play with desire

I guess I'm saying I do not think a college coach can do that and also 'deal' with the owner we have

Dan Snyder is a part of the problem here and a HC has to make sure that he has the 'control' of his players despite what Dan is going to try and do

this can be OK for us providing this FO and Bruce Allen can locate the right guys

did I mention that there is NO WAY a college coach can handle this job ... :D
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:

Now that I am thinking about this more I think you are right. This may very well be the reason why Williams didn't get the job.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:48 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we need to hire a HC that will 'manage' the team - he then needs to have V good assistant coaches to coach up the players

HC's are no longer the play callers - they mostly let their assistants do that and are there to make sure their assistant coaches do the job in the manner he wants them to

I hope we get a good HC that is a good manager of the players and demands and gets respect from his players
then
I hope this FO and the HC bring in some super assistant coaches to bring these guys into line and to make them play with desire

I guess I'm saying I do not think a college coach can do that and also 'deal' with the owner we have

Dan Snyder is a part of the problem here and a HC has to make sure that he has the 'control' of his players despite what Dan is going to try and do

this can be OK for us providing this FO and Bruce Allen can locate the right guys

did I mention that there is NO WAY a college coach can handle this job ... :D

Bruce was asked questions on this. He didn't think Dan was a problem. You always had a great belief in the FO. Where is it now? Maybe Dan hasn't been a problem the last 4 years like some say. In your defense. Doc seems to think Dan shares the responsibility too. It just may be a case where he wasn't the monster some people think he is.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:53 pm

SkinsJock wrote:did I mention that there is NO WAY a college coach can handle this job ... :D

Indeed, you did ;-)

But I don't agree. We all remember Spurrier (gulp), but any reasonable amount of due diligence would have revealed his weaknesses as a manager and coach. I would not rule out a man without NFL experience, although I think it's unlikely to happen. There aren't many Chip Kelly or Jimmy Johnson stories around, but the right man might be a college man without the NFL experience.

But if I was a betting man, I'd say that a current NFL offensive coordinator is going to be first choice.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Maybe Bill Cowher could work out. A throw back coach no matter age would be welcome in my book. As long as he doesn't want total control.

Maybe a coach like him could hire Russ in here also.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Maybe Bill Cowher could work out. A throw back coach no matter age would be welcome in my book. As long as he doesn't want total control.

Maybe a coach like him could hire Russ in here also.

[-X

It just wouldn't work. Time for a young, hungry (but qualified) coach. Zorn was young but not qualified. Spurrier was young but not hungry. I loved the return of Gibbs, and we got two playoff runs out of him, but young, hungry and qualified is the way to go this time.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:44 pm

I would expect no matter who comes in can rely on Bruce to make things less difficult. No more dictatorship.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Danny Smith's name is coming up also. People are saying that Bill is the leading candidate at the moment on 980.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I would expect no matter who comes in can rely on Bruce to make things less difficult. No more dictatorship.
Beyond this, he is a no-nonsense pro-football mind. Fantasy coaches, such as Art Briles, while fun for Clayton, are not likely to be on Allen's working list. He will be looking for a head coach that has more than razzle dazzle on his resume. There are several on Clayton's list who make complete sense...

The question is, does Allen prefer Cousins, or RG3? His involvement in putting together the package that brought Bob to DC suggests that he is invested here. That would tend to suggest a push for Greg Roman, who has done some remarkable work with two quality young quarterbacks... and building a powerful offense tailored to each's unique skills.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football