Bruce Allen press conference

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Bruce Allen press conference

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Neo wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:I'm ok with this. Like I said in another thread. Bruce knows his limitations and he has good scouts. He said he would be picking the coach and I am comfortable.

I always felt Bruce was a straight-forward, no BS kind of guy. Whenever they have him speak, it seems he's there to be transparent and clear the air; I trust his honesty.

I agree with your point that he knows his limitations as well. I think we both can agree that a true GM would be better, but Allen w/ a "GM team" if you will, will lead him to success. I'm grateful we still have him; he will do wonders with our extra cap money in 2014 and I don't foresee any foolish financial transactions in 2014 under him.

Things are looking a little brighter already.

HAIL!!

there is a little BS to it but he has politician in his blood.

Hog

Postby Neo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
Neo wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:I'm ok with this. Like I said in another thread. Bruce knows his limitations and he has good scouts. He said he would be picking the coach and I am comfortable.

I always felt Bruce was a straight-forward, no BS kind of guy. Whenever they have him speak, it seems he's there to be transparent and clear the air; I trust his honesty.

I agree with your point that he knows his limitations as well. I think we both can agree that a true GM would be better, but Allen w/ a "GM team" if you will, will lead him to success. I'm grateful we still have him; he will do wonders with our extra cap money in 2014 and I don't foresee any foolish financial transactions in 2014 under him.

HAIL!!

After a season like we had, I think I'm at my most gullible right now :lol: If nothing else, "just lie to me" Bruce; allow me to have peace and general feelings of happiness for a week or so :)

I do believe none the less. He seems to enjoy working with Snyder and one thing he has said that I think we have seen a little of this year is that Snyder gives him whatever he asks for (which is great).

Honestly brother, I think I'm too wounded to handle the possible truth of Snyder screwing up another decade for us. Just needing to believe, if you will, things will be different this time.

If not, I'm buying the drinks this weekend :lol:
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
Neo wrote:

HAIL!!
He also had one of the most paranoid Dads in the history of the NFL... there were spies everywhere... Just sayin...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Well he must have known Bill Belichick's parents.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Interesting that he conspicuously side-stepped the cap situation. One reporter asked about it since Mike brought it up in his conference, claiming it was why he couldn't get better players. Bruce just sort of shrugged that off and talked about something else. I want to believe that working with 15m (approximately) less cap space than your opponents had SOMETHING to do with the team's record, but perhaps the way Allen addressed it meant there were deeper problems and didn't want to allow Mike to use that as a scapegoat?
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Bruce is not going to answer that question. He knows better. He has public relation skills. He made it clear though that Mike failed in areas. Nuff said. Let it go. Time for a new era.

Hog

Postby Neo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Hooligan wrote:Interesting that he conspicuously side-stepped the cap situation. One reporter asked about it since Mike brought it up in his conference, claiming it was why he couldn't get better players. Bruce just sort of shrugged that off and talked about something else. I want to believe that working with 15m (approximately) less cap space than your opponents had SOMETHING to do with the team's record, but perhaps the way Allen addressed it meant there were deeper problems and didn't want to allow Mike to use that as a scapegoat?

I took that more as him tired of talking about it. Its an excuse yes, but there is validity to it; so you can pull that card, but at the same time you can't. They won the NFC East last year with the same players plus a few upgrades. So that, to my mind, forfeits the right to pull that card anymore.

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Certainly makes me feel better ..
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:56 am

Bruce Allen had the immortal George Allen to learn from. Forget GA Jr,: think of their Dad.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:00 am

gibbsfan wrote:Certainly makes me feel better ..

I felt better as soon as I heard the shannaclan was gone!
While I like things about Kyle, and some of what Mike has done- I feel like he gave up on this 3-6 team last year...
BUT
We needed an ego like his to clean house- we have what 4-6 players left?
He pulled the trigger on rgiii who despite a tough year (as a team no debate please) will always have the records he broke last year... And hopefully more to follow.
He found the diamond in the rough in Alf
Brought in Kerrigan
Found an incredible prospect in Reed... and Amerson for that matter
Hopefully some others pan out, at least as far as depth in Rambo and Thomas- Chase I'm still rootin for ya!

Realistically we've lacked the leadership that motivates and lifts spirits. That's why the locker room is a mess, I could careless who Snyder dines with.
I'm Soooo stoked we have a new direction coming and I pray whom ever it is can get the most from the players we have currently and, with the Fo, finds the key additions we need to supplement what we have.
THIS time, just wait until next year, feels promising....

HTTR
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:44 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
gibbsfan wrote:Certainly makes me feel better ..

I felt better as soon as I heard the shannaclan was gone!
While I like things about Kyle, and some of what Mike has done- I feel like he gave up on this 3-6 team last year...
BUT
We needed an ego like his to clean house- we have what 4-6 players left?
He pulled the trigger on rgiii who despite a tough year (as a team no debate please) will always have the records he broke last year... And hopefully more to follow.
He found the diamond in the rough in Alf
Brought in Kerrigan
Found an incredible prospect in Reed... and Amerson for that matter
Hopefully some others pan out, at least as far as depth in Rambo and Thomas- Chase I'm still rootin for ya!

Realistically we've lacked the leadership that motivates and lifts spirits. That's why the locker room is a mess, I could careless who Snyder dines with.
I'm Soooo stoked we have a new direction coming and I pray whom ever it is can get the most from the players we have currently and, with the Fo, finds the key additions we need to supplement what we have.
THIS time, just wait until next year, feels promising....

HTTR

With all the fun I've been having with Shanny's demise today, I think this is a fair post.

All joking aside, I take this as MS came in and did us some good, although it came with the bad too. He's done his part, the organization has a handful of key players he brought in, and now its time for someone to step in and finish the job.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:27 am

welch wrote:Bruce Allen had the immortal George Allen to learn from. Forget GA Jr,: think of their Dad.

I don't think they understand the classic personality that was George Allen... a man who hated Dallas so much, that he brought in an enforcer just for Roger Staubach... well, that's not quite true, but Diron Talbert LIVED to torment Staubach... and George Allen LOVED it, encouraged it, fed it, every chance he got.

The bottom line is, George Allen understood the role of psychology in building and motivating a football team... and in undermining the confidence and thought processes of opponents. I suspect Bruce learned a thing or two... Don't expect to know his plans or agenda when he speaks.

I have to hope that he has inherited his dad's aversion to all things Dallas... and will work to revive the hate.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:14 am

Countertrey wrote:I have to hope that he has inherited his dad's aversion to all things Dallas... and will work to revive the hate.

That would be awesome.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:28 am

Countertrey wrote:I have to hope that he has inherited his dad's aversion to all things Dallas... and will work to revive the hate.
:lol:
First thing to do is find a way to keep Dan out of things, find us a HC and great coaching staff, bring in some more players thru free agency and the draft ...

then go and stir up the rivalry with Jerrah's boys :wink:

hopefully, Bruce Allen and the Redskins will make the most out of this opportunity
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:45 am

Hooligan wrote:Interesting that he conspicuously side-stepped the cap situation. One reporter asked about it since Mike brought it up in his conference, claiming it was why he couldn't get better players. Bruce just sort of shrugged that off and talked about something else. I want to believe that working with 15m (approximately) less cap space than your opponents had SOMETHING to do with the team's record, but perhaps the way Allen addressed it meant there were deeper problems and didn't want to allow Mike to use that as a scapegoat?

I think he's just trying to avoid making excuses. That whole press conference was basically him saying "We tried to do the right thing four years ago, and we felt good about it at the time. Since then we've worked hard, but our record speaks for itself and it isn't good enough. Now, this isn't just a Shanahan thing, it's a Redskins organization thing. So that makes today a tough day, but it's a fresh start to approach building a successful team and it starts from here." Every question he answered fit somewhere in that narrative.

There is some critical stuff in the WaPo today — well, mostly from Reid, who seems to be butthurt over the way Allen answered his question in the press conference — and maybe they are right, but personally I liked what he had to say and didn't think he was being insincere at all (as WaPo suggested). I guess time will tell.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football