Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:46 pm

OldSchool wrote:I don't even think it is close, Kirk Cousins is a much better NFL quarterback than Griffin. I think the Skins would still be in the division race if they had played Cousins instead of the injured and hapless Griffin. Starting the season with a quarterback that has a gimpy leg, who doesn't know how read defenses, change protections, release quickly to the open man or lead receivers open with passes when the backup quarterback can do all these things is stupid, Dan Snyder jock sniffer stupid.

Shanahan started the real quarterback today because he doesn't give a damn anymore. Snyder will be doing Shannahan a favor when he cans him. Two more weeks to go.

Excuse me but Cousins went 0-3 and he is a better QB how? Some people just refuse to think logically.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:06 pm

It's pointless to argue logic and facts with oldskewl.. rgiii will shut him up next year count it
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Cousins needs to improve as does the receiving corps, it looked like a couple of guys were mailing it in yesterday, but in my opinion Kirk Cousins can definitely have a long and substantial starting QB career NFL. I hope the new coach opens up the job to competition but I doubt that happens.

I am not optimistic about Griffin's chances because he doesn't hasn't made progress with the mental aspects of the game. Griffin may comeback healthier and enjoy a revival next season but since needs to run to really contribute it will catch up to him and he'll get injured.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:37 pm

There will be twists to this story, depending on the foundation of the new head coach. A defensive minded coach is most likely to value a ball control game, with a premium on the run game and a clock eating short passing game. An offensive minded coach is more likely to prefer an aggressive offensive scheme, with a quick strike capability.

Cousins' skill set is currently best suited to running a traditional WCO... which can easily be adapted to take advantage of a one cut banger like Alf.
Bob is an incredibly dynamic talent, who, when trained up, is more like a very physically gifted version of Mark Rypien. Accurate and powerful, with superior elusiveness... but needs a dominating O-line to have the time to work in the passing game.

Which will it be? Redskins quarterback stock will rise or fall based on the philosophy of the new Head Coach...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Countertrey wrote:Which will it be? Redskins quarterback stock will rise or fall based on the philosophy of the new Head Coach...

I don't see any way that they'll be appointing a coach who could possibly favour Kirk over RG3, or implement an offence that would do the same.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:14 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Which will it be? Redskins quarterback stock will rise or fall based on the philosophy of the new Head Coach...

I don't see any way that they'll be appointing a coach who could possibly favour Kirk over RG3, or implement an offence that would do the same.
I think you are right... but the question here is, how invested is Allen in Bob? If he choses a defensive minded coach, all bets are off.

I suspect it will be an Offensive minded HC... While RG3 was Shanahan's choice, Allen was the man who made the selection of Bob possible. He is inextricably wedded to the success of Griffin...

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Agree 100%.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Countertrey wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote: I don't see any way that they'll be appointing a coach who could possibly favour Kirk over RG3, or implement an offence that would do the same.
I think you are right... but the question here is, how invested is Allen in Bob? If he choses a defensive minded coach, all bets are off. I suspect it will be an Offensive minded HC... While RG3 was Shanahan's choice, Allen was the man who made the selection of Bob possible. He is inextricably wedded to the success of Griffin...

any head coach that comes in here is going to find a way to best utilize the talents of the players he has ... when that is applied to the choice between Cousins or Griffin there is no doubt that the HC is going to help Griffin become the best QB he can be

I am sure that whomever is the next HC, he will get a lot of applications from OCs wanting to work with RG3 - many applications will be covered in drool :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:48 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote: I don't see any way that they'll be appointing a coach who could possibly favour Kirk over RG3, or implement an offence that would do the same.
I think you are right... but the question here is, how invested is Allen in Bob? If he choses a defensive minded coach, all bets are off. I suspect it will be an Offensive minded HC... While RG3 was Shanahan's choice, Allen was the man who made the selection of Bob possible. He is inextricably wedded to the success of Griffin...

any head coach that comes in here is going to find a way to best utilize the talents of the players he has ... when that is applied to the choice between Cousins or Griffin there is no doubt that the HC is going to help Griffin become the best QB he can be

I am sure that whomever is the next HC, he will get a lot of applications from OCs wanting to work with RG3 - many applications will be covered in drool :lol:
A quick anecdote to demonstrate the flaw in your thinking... while it's certainly true that most offensive minded coaches would, in fact, drool at the prospect of developing a talent like Robert Griffin III... it is not a given that the same is true for defensive minded coaches. Is there any doubt that Sonny Jurgensen was the superior quarterback to Billy Kilmer? (sorry, Mom... it's just true) You ask 99 coaches who they would want starting at QB, and the vast majority... in many cases all... would probably say Sonny. But, not George Allen. Allen preferred Billy... who was more in line with the plodding, determined, methodical game that he (like many defensive coaches) preferred of the offense. Sonny was not plodding nor methodical... surgical, yes, but the simple fact is, if you are trying to keep your beloved defense well rested, you don't want your offense moving 97 yards in 4 plays.

Having said that, I happen to agree with you... Allen's legacy, as Shanahan's, is inextricably tied to the success... or failure... of Robert. I can't see him selecting a HC who will place him on the bench. I'm just pointing out that Cousins will be part of the talent that the new HC has available, as well... and he does offer certain advantages that are not yet part of Griffin's inventory.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:58 pm

I think that the new HC will consider himself incredibly lucky to have 2 QBs like we have in Cousins and Griffin ... let's face it - anything can happen

I have great confidence that RG3 has the better talent and more potential ... BUT, that means nothing if he does not work incredibly hard this off season

I think these 2 QBs will be here for some time as we are not letting a good QB go when we do not have to
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:02 pm

A quick anecdote to demonstrate the flaw in your thinking... while it's certainly true that most offensive minded coaches would, in fact, drool at the prospect of developing a talent like Robert Griffin III... it is not a given that the same is true for defensive minded coaches. Is there any doubt that Sonny Jurgensen was the superior quarterback to Billy Kilmer? (sorry, Mom... it's just true) You ask 99 coaches who they would want starting at QB, and the vast majority... in many cases all... would probably say Sonny. But, not George Allen. Allen preferred Billy... who was more in line with the plodding, determined, methodical game that he (like many defensive coaches) preferred of the offense. Sonny was not plodding nor methodical... surgical, yes, but the simple fact is, if you are trying to keep your beloved defense well rested, you don't want your offense moving 97 yards in 4 plays.

Having said that, I happen to agree with you... Allen's legacy, as Shanahan's, is inextricably tied to the success... or failure... of Robert. I can't see him selecting a HC who will place him on the bench. I'm just pointing out that Cousins will be part of the talent that the new HC has available, as well... and he does offer certain advantages that are not yet part of Griffin's inventory.

Hey!!!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:06 pm

OldSchool wrote:I am not optimistic about Griffin's chances because he doesn't hasn't made progress with the mental aspects of the game. Griffin may comeback healthier and enjoy a revival next season but since needs to run to really contribute it will catch up to him and he'll get injured.

QBs injured this year off the top of my head:

Cousins (preseason), E. Manning, Romo, Vick, Foles ... I'll stop here. That's 5 in the NFC East.

Not saying he won't get injured but most QBs will. I think 10 went on IR this year.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:

Hey!!!!
I had to apologize to my Mom, because she knows where I live, and will kick my ass... You, however, don't know where I live... "I follow the Redskins, and I like Sonny". :wink:

I take it that you had the wrong bumper sticker... :twisted:

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:

Hey!!!!
I had to apologize to my Mom, because she knows where I live, and will kick my ass... You, however, don't know where I live... "I follow the Redskins, and I like Sonny". :wink:

I take it that you had the wrong bumper sticker... :twisted:

If I did I take back anything nice i might have said about you :-s Kilmer rules +1000. Seriously please look at my questions in Football 101 Interested in some peoples perspective that lived through it.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:56 am

Countertrey wrote:There will be twists to this story, depending on the foundation of the new head coach. A defensive minded coach is most likely to value a ball control game, with a premium on the run game and a clock eating short passing game. An offensive minded coach is more likely to prefer an aggressive offensive scheme, with a quick strike capability.

Cousins' skill set is currently best suited to running a traditional WCO... which can easily be adapted to take advantage of a one cut banger like Alf.
Bob is an incredibly dynamic talent, who, when trained up, is more like a very physically gifted version of Mark Rypien. Accurate and powerful, with superior elusiveness... but needs a dominating O-line to have the time to work in the passing game.

Which will it be? Redskins quarterback stock will rise or fall based on the philosophy of the new Head Coach...

People do not want to hear/read this, but this is 100% accurate. I'm not saying Cousins lit the world on fire in his last three games, but he has shown in 2 games how good and effective he could run an NFL offense.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football