Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:17 am

again - I do not think Jim Haslett is as bad a DC as many have made him out to be, including me at times

this FO feels that he's worth keeping around in case the new HC wants him - that says something, IMO

there are many assistants in the NFL that are not liked by the media or the fans and yet the NFL guys that know a thing or two, keep these guys in the game
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:32 am

SkinsJock wrote:again - I do not think Jim Haslett is as bad a DC as many have made him out to be, including me at times

this FO feels that he's worth keeping around in case the new HC wants him - that says something, IMO

there are many assistants in the NFL that are not liked by the media or the fans and yet the NFL guys that know a thing or two, keep these guys in the game

I don't know about that, seems to me that even giving Haslett a pass his last 4 years, what about his defenses in New Orleans and St. Louis? Sorry I am seriously on the fence about this and think Haslett will be gone before the start of this next season..............

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:51 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:again - I do not think Jim Haslett is as bad a DC as many have made him out to be, including me at times

I don't know about that, seems to me that even giving Haslett a pass his last 4 years, what about his defenses in New Orleans and St. Louis? Sorry I am seriously on the fence about this and think Haslett will be gone before the start of this next season..............

Most likely. But I wouldn't act like the sky was falling if he was retained for next year.

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:56 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:

He will be gone once the new HC comes in. A new HC wants to build his new staff from the ground up. Unless the defense was could the year before and this Season was a defensive mess.
R.I.P. Taylor!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:13 am

cowboyhater4life wrote:He will be gone once the new HC comes in. A new HC wants to build his new staff from the ground up. Unless the defense was could the year before and this Season was a defensive mess.

The point is to keep your options open. What if a new HC comes in and wants Jim Haslett? A possible example is Jay Gruden who has a history of working with Haslett.

I'm not personally a big Haz fan. Its just hard to have watched the defense go downhill so badly the past few years, even though I understand there are a lot of reasons for it other than just "Haslett sucks".

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:21 am

riggofan wrote:
cowboyhater4life wrote:He will be gone once the new HC comes in. A new HC wants to build his new staff from the ground up. Unless the defense was could the year before and this Season was a defensive mess.

The point is to keep your options open. What if a new HC comes in and wants Jim Haslett? A possible example is Jay Gruden who has a history of working with Haslett.

I'm not personally a big Haz fan. Its just hard to have watched the defense go downhill so badly the past few years, even though I understand there are a lot of reasons for it other than just "Haslett sucks".

Agreed 100% I would also say, hey give this dude the benefit of the doubt. Whatever next HC they hire, he isn't going to have complete power, so if Haslett has worked it to where he has 100% autonomy on the defensive side, give him 1 maybe 2 more years to run the defense he thinks would work here based on roster......

Thoughts???

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:30 am

I guess. If we actually gave home good players in the secondary maybe his blitzing would work.
R.I.P. Taylor!

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:47 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Agreed 100% I would also say, hey give this dude the benefit of the doubt. Whatever next HC they hire, he isn't going to have complete power, so if Haslett has worked it to where he has 100% autonomy on the defensive side, give him 1 maybe 2 more years to run the defense he thinks would work here based on roster......

Thoughts???

Haslett not being fired is "worst fears realized" IMHO. His name should have been 2nd on the list behind MS. His 3-4 defense (if it was, in fact, forced on him) took our previous top 10 defense to ranking at or very near the bottom of the league the last 2 years. His previous coaching stints produced similar results. To me that's an indication that he doesn't know how to execute it.

How can the Skins possibly add enough players to the defense next year to make the 3-4 work when there are so many other holes on the other side of the football and on Special Teams to fill. I believe that if the Skins switched back to the 4-3, with many of the same players we now have, it would only take the addition of a few quality players though either the draft of FA in order for the Skins to improve.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:51 am

The HC and the FO will have a pretty good idea whether Haslett will fit with what they want to do ...

the franchise is going to benefit a lot with the depth the salary cap is going to provide on both offense and defense

there is going to be a lot of changes to this roster in the next 6 months
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:59 am

SCSkinsFan wrote:Haslett not being fired is "worst fears realized" IMHO. His name should have been 2nd on the list behind MS.

I don't know about "worst fears realized" - lol - but I totally know where you are coming from. If you would have told me two months ago that Kyle and Mike would be out with Haz still sticking around, I would have asked what you're smoking.

SCSkinsFan wrote:How can the Skins possibly add enough players to the defense next year to make the 3-4 work when there are so many other holes on the other side of the football and on Special Teams to fill. I believe that if the Skins switched back to the 4-3, with many of the same players we now have, it would only take the addition of a few quality players though either the draft of FA in order for the Skins to improve.

Won't pretend to be football smart enough about those schemes, but I like what you're saying. If nothing else, having some flexibility to look at the players we have now, who we can possibly add, and deciding based on THAT which defense we can run most effectively seems like it would be a big improvement.

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:00 pm

riggofan wrote:
SCSkinsFan wrote:Haslett not being fired is "worst fears realized" IMHO. His name should have been 2nd on the list behind MS.

I don't know about "worst fears realized" - lol - but I totally know where you are coming from. If you would have told me two months ago that Kyle and Mike would be out with Haz still sticking around, I would have asked what you're smoking.

SCSkinsFan wrote:How can the Skins possibly add enough players to the defense next year to make the 3-4 work when there are so many other holes on the other side of the football and on Special Teams to fill. I believe that if the Skins switched back to the 4-3, with many of the same players we now have, it would only take the addition of a few quality players though either the draft of FA in order for the Skins to improve.

Won't pretend to be football smart enough about those schemes, but I like what you're saying. If nothing else, having some flexibility to look at the players we have now, who we can possibly add, and deciding based on THAT which defense we can run most effectively seems like it would be a big improvement.

Annother interesting thing to note is another name that is not on that list. Raheem Morris. Hmmm! :-k
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

Hog

Postby grampi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:28 pm

DS needs to get out the ol' checkbook and bring Cower in as the new HC...

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:38 pm

grampi wrote:DS needs to get out the ol' checkbook and bring Cower in as the new HC...

[-X
Will we never learn?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:51 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
grampi wrote:DS needs to get out the ol' checkbook and bring Cower in as the new HC...

[-X
Will we never learn?

Nope.

piggie

Postby hanburgerheel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm not sure how many of you are measuring the success of Defensive Coordinators. Jim Haslett's defenses are historically abysmal. And, his record is unchanged after his tenure at Washington. Some of you people are strangely optimistic when it comes to results that really matter! "Your kidneys are no longer functioning and you'll be on dialysis until we get a donor. But, our chief administrator was a podiatrist and says your toenails are spectacular!"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football