Next Please!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Re: Next Please!

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:42 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -mcdermott

Skins to interview Bevell and McDermott
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:29 am

Countertrey wrote:Obrien is off the market, per ESPN's Adam Schefter... signing with the Texans...

I'm not upset by that. Too many people seem to think he's the next Belichick - he's just as likely to be the next Josh McDaniels/Charlie Weis/Romeo Crennel.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:17 am

tribeofjudah wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307493/article/redskins-to-interview-darrell-bevell-sean-mcdermott

Skins to interview Bevell and McDermott

Have to start somewhere.
R.I.P. Taylor!

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:25 am

SkinsJock wrote:I'm nervously optimistic that we're going to get away with this ... I was worried that Snyder might want to get back into things ...

I am glad that Mike is gone but I'm actually optimistic that Bruce Allen and the guys in the FO here can pull this together and continue to make remake this franchise

we do have some very good players to build around and we are very solid as far as the cap and the salary situation is concerned

GO BRUCE GO - bring it home

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -decisions

Do you really think Snyder has been keeping his hands out of personnel decisions? I think the Griffin deal was a Snyder move. I don't think we'll know for sure because Shannahan's severance package will no doubt include a non disclosure clause but I just don't think a veteran coach would want to spend 3 first round and 1 second round pick on an option quarterback. I might be wrong but I think this was the decision of a master marketeer who knew it would be worth a fortune in revenue for him.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:45 am

OldSchool wrote:Do you really think Snyder has been keeping his hands out of personnel decisions?

No, not me.

OldSchool wrote:I think the Griffin deal was a Snyder move.

Me too. That's why Shanny seems so schitz to me. Seems like he asked for total control but surrendered it a lot.

OldSchool wrote:I might be wrong but I think this was the decision of a master marketeer who knew it would be worth a fortune in revenue for him.

Me too.

Our only hope is a change in Snyder. I am not terribly optimistic but remain hopeful.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:35 pm

From what we've seen and heard since Monday it's looking like Dan Snyder is going to continue to let the decisions on players and coaches be made by the FO ...

The concern that some of us had that Dan Snyder might use this opportunity to get back into making 'decisions' on players and coaches is looking like a non event ...

I'm hopeful that we will see Bruce & the rest of the FO make some good choices here

the media continue to throw out the glitz and glamour ... IMO the FO will bring in players and coaches that suit the plan for the franchise going forward ...

since the end of 2009 when Mike came in we have moved on from selecting players and coaches based on who best suits the marketing and merchandise crowd
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:48 pm

SkinsJock wrote:From what we've seen and heard since Monday it's looking like Dan Snyder is going to continue to let the decisions on players and coaches be made by the FO ...

The concern that some of us had that Dan Snyder might use this opportunity to get back into making 'decisions' on players and coaches is looking like a non event ...

I'm hopeful that we will see Bruce & the rest of the FO make some good choices here

the media continue to throw out the glitz and glamour ... IMO the FO will bring in players and coaches that suit the plan for the franchise going forward ...

since the end of 2009 when Mike came in we have moved on from selecting players and coaches based on who best suits the marketing and merchandise crowd

I'll say "Time will tell" on all of the above and remain hopeful ... on all but the last line. For that I will say "Time will tell" and remain in serious doubt.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:21 pm

I really do believe that Snyder has handed things over ... I'm sure he was royally pissed off and disappointed and I was very concerned that he might get 'involved' but I think that he's going to let the FO guys continue to do their job

I have no doubt that Snyder will continue to be 'involved' with players and coaches like he has - he likes to be 'visible' - it is who he is
I think it probably pissed off Mike and Kyle that he did that but they should have seen it for what it was - the contact and socializing is not a problem unless you let it be

all big stars in the sporting world have 'distractions' - how the player and the coach handle those is all that's important - we do not know exactly what happened but we did see that it seemed to affect the relationship and that could have been avoided and should have been handled better by both the Shanahans and by RG3

whoever comes in here will be better off if they let Snyder do what he's going to do and they need to not make the same mistakes that Mike and Kyle seemed to have made in not handling that situation better - The FO will also help the coaches and players in that regard as well

lots of 'wishing and hoping' but it's the status quo for a Redskins fan
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:08 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I really do believe that Snyder has handed things over ... I'm sure he was royally pissed off and disappointed and I was very concerned that he might get 'involved' but I think that he's going to let the FO guys continue to do their job

I have no doubt that Snyder will continue to be 'involved' with players and coaches like he has - he likes to be 'visible' - it is who he is
I think it probably pissed off Mike and Kyle that he did that but they should have seen it for what it was - the contact and socializing is not a problem unless you let it be

all big stars in the sporting world have 'distractions' - how the player and the coach handle those is all that's important - we do not know exactly what happened but we did see that it seemed to affect the relationship and that could have been avoided and should have been handled better by both the Shanahans and by RG3

whoever comes in here will be better off if they let Snyder do what he's going to do and they need to not make the same mistakes that Mike and Kyle seemed to have made in not handling that situation better - The FO will also help the coaches and players in that regard as well

lots of 'wishing and hoping' but it's the status quo for a Redskins fan

If he was being very visible these last 4 years then I can deal with that. I think he was very tame.

Postby timkp » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think it matters who the next coach is. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Skins fan but, as long as the Danny owns this team we are going nowhere. With the Danny in charge, the dysfunctionality is simply too much to overcome. I see no reason why that is ever gonna change. Who, in there right mind, would want to coach here? Yea, someone will take the job for the money. But in 2-4 years we'll be looking again. Count on it.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:16 pm

timkp wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think it matters who the next coach is. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Skins fan but, as long as the Danny owns this team we are going nowhere. With the Danny in charge, the dysfunctionality is simply too much to overcome. I see no reason why that is ever gonna change. Who, in there right mind, would want to coach here? Yea, someone will take the job for the money. But in 2-4 years we'll be looking again. Count on it.

Joe Gibbs is a good example of someone that had a passion and although he got paid well here, he already had millions. Are you kidding me? This is the dysfunctional Redskins now, but this is a team with a winning history that could be restored soon. I am sure there will be many candidates interested for more than just money.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Dan Snyder is not involved with decision making and has not been involved with decision making here since Mike & Bruce came in

we have been given to understand that he's going to continue to let the FO guys make the player and coaching decisions

I'm very hopeful for the continued improvement of this franchise

I wanted Mike gone but was worried that Dan Snyder might get back to making football related decisions
Dan Snyder has not been involved with those decisions and will continue to do what he's done the past 4 years

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:57 pm

After Zorn I wouldn't touch the team with a 10ft pole, but now I think Head Coach of the Redskins is a pretty desirable position. The Skins had a poor record this year, but they're not exactly a dumpster fire. There's a lot of appeal for an up-and-coming first HC or to coax someone legit out of retirement:

Proud, visible organization with history, a huge fan base, and big-time rivalries.

A good scouting department.

A good core of young players that won the division last year. Including an electric young QB with a big arm.

Our defense as it sits is only a player or two away from running almost any base scheme the coach chooses.

If you have the personality to keep the owner in check, he'll buy whatever you think the team needs.

$20+ million in salary cap space to play with.

Someone who knows their stuff can easily come in here, add a few pieces and win. People with head coach mentality have egos; they'd all love to say "I turned the Washington Redskins into a powerhouse and won the Super Bowl."
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm

Hooligan wrote:After Zorn I wouldn't touch the team with a 10ft pole, but now I think Head Coach of the Redskins is a pretty desirable position. The Skins had a poor record this year, but they're not exactly a dumpster fire. There's a lot of appeal for an up-and-coming first HC or to coax someone legit out of retirement:

Proud, visible organization with history, a huge fan base, and big-time rivalries.

A good scouting department.

A good core of young players that won the division last year. Including an electric young QB with a big arm.

Our defense as it sits is only a player or two away from running almost any base scheme the coach chooses.

If you have the personality to keep the owner in check, he'll buy whatever you think the team needs.

$20+ million in salary cap space to play with.

Someone who knows their stuff can easily come in here, add a few pieces and win. People with head coach mentality have egos; they'd all love to say "I turned the Washington Redskins into a powerhouse and won the Super Bowl."

I agree. Well stated.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:04 pm

that's what I'm talking about :D

I understand the concern of some but Dan Snyder is going to let these guys do their thing and get credit for it

- if they manage things as some of us here think they will he will get credit for being a hands-off owner

- if they do not do well next season then Dan will get the benefit of being able to point out that he really did try and let the NFL guys have their way and they blew it

I'm very encouraged that Dan Snyder is going to continue to not be involved with ALL the player and coaching decisions, as he has since Mike & Bruce came in

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football