Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||||||

Re: Mike Shanahan Fired Officially

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:04 pm

hanburgerheel wrote:I'm not sure how many of you are measuring the success of Defensive Coordinators. Jim Haslett's defenses are historically abysmal. And, his record is unchanged after his tenure at Washington. Some of you people are strangely optimistic when it comes to results that really matter! "Your kidneys are no longer functioning and you'll be on dialysis until we get a donor. But, our chief administrator was a podiatrist and says your toenails are spectacular!"

That chief administrator sounds like a very camp fellow.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby grampi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:15 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
grampi wrote:DS needs to get out the ol' checkbook and bring Cower in as the new HC...

[-X
Will we never learn?

You're kidding, right? Cower would be an awesome HC for the Skins...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:35 pm

grampi wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:
grampi wrote:DS needs to get out the ol' checkbook and bring Cower in as the new HC...

[-X
Will we never learn?

I don't know. Cowher has only been out of coaching for seven years. I'd prefer Snyder find somebody who has spent at least a solid decade not coaching and (if possible) has even less to prove.

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:16 pm

ACW wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
gibbsfan wrote:Writing is on the wall ...now hire a gm and let him select the coach..

Uh, we have a GM.
Make Allen President and hire a GM.

Oops my bad I went and watched the
Press conference.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:23 pm

fortunately - it looks pretty clear to me that Dan Snyder is continuing to stay away from making player and coaching decisions and leaving it in the appropriate hands ...

The decisions on who really needed to be let go and those coaches that might be useful in the future were IMO made by Bruce and the FO - after Dan and Mike met
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:33 pm

grampi wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:

[-X
Will we never learn?

Not kidding at all. Cowher WAS a great coach. In Pittsburgh. Surrounded by talent. Many years ago.

Time to get somebody in whose best days are in the future, preferrably in DC.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:41 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Not kidding at all. Cowher WAS a great coach. In Pittsburgh. Surrounded by talent. Many years ago.

For real!!! Why does everybody always immediately want these old guys whose best days are behind them? No disrespect intended to Bill Cowher who is undoubtedly a great coach. Or Joe Gibbs or even Mike Shanahan for that matter. But you see what happens with these guys. They get back in to the actual grind of coaching and all the accompanying BS and sooner or later they say, "What do I need this for? I have millions of dollars. I've already won a Super Bowl or two or three. I'm going to be in the Hall of Fame. What do I have to prove? I don't need this. Keep your money, Dan. I'm going back to spend time on the golf course and to enjoy my grandchildren."

We don't need Bill Cowher. We need a guy who wants to be the NEXT Bill Cowher. We need new ideas, new energy and real passion to do all of the hard stuff its going to take to build a winner in Washington. Just showing up here in DC with a super bowl on your resume isn't going to be enough.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:47 pm

riggofan wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:Not kidding at all. Cowher WAS a great coach. In Pittsburgh. Surrounded by talent. Many years ago.

For real!!! Why does everybody always immediately want these old guys whose best days are behind them? No disrespect intended to Bill Cowher who is undoubtedly a great coach. Or Joe Gibbs or even Mike Shanahan for that matter. But you see what happens with these guys. They get back in to the actual grind of coaching and all the accompanying BS and sooner or later they say, "What do I need this for? I have millions of dollars. I've already won a Super Bowl or two or three. I'm going to be in the Hall of Fame. What do I have to prove? I don't need this. Keep your money, Dan. I'm going back to spend time on the golf course and to enjoy my grandchildren."

We don't need Bill Cowher. We need a guy who wants to be the NEXT Bill Cowher. We need new ideas, new energy and real passion to do all of the hard stuff its going to take to build a winner in Washington. Just showing up here in DC with a super bowl on your resume isn't going to be enough.

If these old has beens have not been empowered with final say it could be a different story. We don't know yet. Look what Dick Vermeil did in his come back. It can be done.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:12 pm

we are not getting an old Dick Vermeil type HC - I could care less what he did - that was not here and the situations are incredibly different

this FO is going to bring in a HC that will manage the on the field decisions and then help him assemble a bunch of assistants to get the job done

we are not bringing in some rah rah guy like the eagles did when they brought in Vermeil - they got lucky - we are not doing anything that depends on luck ...

this franchise is starting a new direction with Bruce Allen and the FO being given a chance to show that they can continue to build this franchise ...

I'm looking forward to watching this happen with the incredible RG3 at the helm

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:19 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we are not getting an old Dick Vermeil type HC - I could care less what he did - that was not here and the situations are incredibly different

this FO is going to bring in a HC that will manage the on the field decisions and then help him assemble a bunch of assistants to get the job done

we are not bringing in some rah rah guy like the eagles did when they brought in Vermeil - they got lucky - we are not doing anything that depends on luck ...

this franchise is starting a new direction with Bruce Allen and the FO being given a chance to show that they can continue to build this franchise ...

I'm looking forward to watching this happen with the incredible RG3 at the helm
Not that it invalidates your point... but Vermeil only ALMOST got Philly to the promised land... It was St Louis that really got lucky...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:22 pm

That was the point I was making. Just trying to show it can be done. Especially after a long hiatus.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:32 pm

OK - I know what Vermeil did, I just don't consider Dick Vermeil or coaches like him (Pete Carroll) as viable candidates here

we need a good manager and someone that can handle working in a very difficult environment ...

I like the results that happened on his watch but that rah rah stuff ain't going to cut it here

it's really not a worry - our FO guys are not bringing in that type of HC

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:That was the point I was making. Just trying to show it can be done. Especially after a long hiatus.
Sooooo... it DOES dispute his point. Sometimes, I scare myself.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:41 pm

SkinsJock wrote:OK - I know what Vermeil did, I just don't consider Dick Vermeil or coaches like him (Pete Carroll) as viable candidates here

we need a good manager and someone that can handle working in a very difficult environment ...

I like the results that happened on his watch but that rah rah stuff ain't going to cut it here

it's really not a worry - our FO guys are not bringing in that type of HC

Well, if you want to call it rah rah ok then. How about this.... I wouldn't mind a motivator for a coach. Someone that will give them a swift kick in the derriere if needed. Pump up those players when things are looking a little sour.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:That was the point I was making. Just trying to show it can be done. Especially after a long hiatus.
Sooooo... it DOES dispute his point. Sometimes, I scare myself.

Maybe not. The point may change tomorrow. You know how it goes.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football