Bevell

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Bevell

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:09 pm

Asked to a man who has great insight to Seattle Seahawks:

"If you were the GM of the Redskins (because we don't have one??) would Bevell be on your coaching list? Would he be a top-3 candidate?"

Reply:

"I have never been that enamored with Bevell. I think he is a solid OC, but I don't see much innovation in his work, and he is not a leader of men that I want in a head coach.

Most people outside the organization do not understand that Tom Cable is actually Bevell's superior and controls the whole run game. He also is ultimately responsible for the offensive game plan. Bevell calls the plays, but I believe Cable creates the menu. The most common reaction I hear from Seahawks fans when Bevell is mentioned as a coaching candidate elsewhere is, "I hope he gets the job." Bevell would not be on my list, let alone top three."

Does not sound good to me.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Re: Bevell

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:04 pm

We do have a GM. He may not be who you want as GM or the type of GM you want, but we do have one.

Allen will have to lean on his two very talented and extremely well respected heads of scouting, but as long as he truly listens to them he should be fine.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:47 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:We do have a GM. He may not be who you want as GM or the type of GM you want, but we do have one.

Allen will have to lean on his two very talented and extremely well respected heads of scouting, but as long as he truly listens to them he should be fine.

Yes, but that really wasn't the point being made. The issue here is the esteem in which Seattle fans hold Bevell. This particular fan seems to suggest that they wouldn't be too bothered to lose him.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:04 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:We do have a GM. He may not be who you want as GM or the type of GM you want, but we do have one.

Yes, but that really wasn't the point being made. The issue here is the esteem in which Seattle fans hold Bevell. This particular fan seems to suggest that they wouldn't be too bothered to lose him.
You know, it wouldn't surprise me to find someone, somewhere, using the opinion of the Poster to justify a negative stance regarding any number of former Redskins players or coaches... Hell... we said the same of Danny Smith as a ST Coach...

and????
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Countertrey wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:

You know, it wouldn't surprise me to find someone, somewhere, using the opinion of the Poster to justify a negative stance regarding any number of former Redskins players or coaches... Hell... we said the same of Danny Smith as a ST Coach...

and????

Good point. Only reason for concern on my part is a lot of Seagals fans claim that he isn't even a true OC, and that their HC does most of the play calling.

I don't know much about Seattle so I have no clue personally; could even be some reverse psychology by Seagals fans.

A lot of random posts around the web are saying Bevell had a very active role in developing Wilson. Who knows? :?
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:49 pm

BTW - just an aside here - I know he's not a candidate but ... if the Seahawks HC was available to be the HC here, I don't think he'd do a very good job

I'm hoping we can do better than that :D
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:59 pm

SkinsJock wrote:BTW - just an aside here - I know he's not a candidate but ... if the Seahawks HC was available to be the HC here, I don't think he'd do a very good job

I'm hoping we can do better than that :D

The way I see it, they need to replace coaches across the board. So when "sources" are saying the Redskins are interviewing coaches, they have no idea what they're thinking.

In other words, they are interviewing a person to see if they fit into any of our coaching positions. I like this approach :)

If handled properly, BA could give the new head coach their interview notes, but still allow the HC to make that final decision.

If nothing else, this is good recon across the board.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 pm

It would be very interesting to know whom is helping Bruce with the search...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Countertrey wrote:It would be very interesting to know whom is helping Bruce with the search...

we have a number of guys here that I only just realized were a part of our FO - A.J. Smith is one ...
these guys are quickly establishing themselves as having a good handle on both players and coaches

Mike did not seem to handle working very well with 'others' - Bruce is going to get a big opportunity to show what can be done when you have a great team
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:19 am

Countertrey wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:

and????

I wouldn't argue with that. It's just one view. You might say it's quite a restricted sample size, lol.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

piggie

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:58 pm

I think there is alot of focus on hiring someone who is more on the offensive side of the ball and I understand the thinking that RGIII needs to be groomed, running needs to be the primary goal, etc, etc. The next coach should come from the defensive mind set IMO. The offense will be just fine, we need someone like a DC Zimmer with Bengals or Sean McDermott DC of the Panthers. Im not sure Bevell is the answer.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm

I heard on the radio today some comments that Seahawks fans wouldn't be unhappy to see Bevell go. I'm a little biased against him because I can't stand the Seahawks, and also the whole Jim Zorn thing. :)

The one thing about this coaching search that's been bugging me is hearing that we need a defensive minded coach because our defense was so bad. Or we need an offensive minded coach because we have RGIII or whatever. I just don't agree with either of those opinions. We can fix the defense by hiring the best DC out there and bringing in some new players. Same thing with the offense. I don't care what side of the ball the new coach has been working. We need a tough, energetic guy who can provide leadership on both sides and has the ability to manage all of these coaches and players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

piggie

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Im thinking that the best DC's out there are in line for a HC job. It is true what you are saying and it makes sense, but I cant see a new head coach for example hiring Zimmer from Cincy as the new DC when Zimmer should be a HC somewhere. Regardless this process is going to drive us all up a wall and no matter who is the next coach of the Skins I guess we will have to at least give them a chance. It is safe to say that we will be able to see the writing on the wall for the new coach pretty quickly.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Skins Fan in Indy wrote:Im thinking that the best DC's out there are in line for a HC job. It is true what you are saying and it makes sense, but I cant see a new head coach for example hiring Zimmer from Cincy as the new DC when Zimmer should be a HC somewhere. Regardless this process is going to drive us all up a wall and no matter who is the next coach of the Skins I guess we will have to at least give them a chance. It is safe to say that we will be able to see the writing on the wall for the new coach pretty quickly.

That's true, but there are some good DCs out there who just lost their jobs as head coach like Leslie Frazier and Jim Schwartz. No surprise the Browns and Bucs are scooping those two up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

piggie

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:32 pm

I guess that brings up the argument on whether or not Shanny should have been gone sooner so they could have a chance to get decent coaches?.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football