Let Orakpo go

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Let Orakpo go

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:19 am

I like Orakpo and always have. But is he worth elite money he will expect from us? I say no.

He's going to want something around $10 million a year, which would make him our highest (or one of our top three highest) paid guys. I suggest we'd be better off sticking with Rob Jackson and other replacements. Jackson provides more disruptive play, IMO, especially in passing situations. We can't rely on Jackson to do 100% of what Orakpo did for us, but surely we can find someone else who can do the rest for less than the ~$9 million my scenario frees up.

A fair number of Orakpo's good-looking stats come in meaningless games or in games where we are so far out of it, it hardly matters. I hate to say it, but he often disappears for entire quarters, halves, and even games. The moments when he does break through are OK but not often or consistent enough to warrant "elite" consideration.

Some team will give him elite money this offseason, whether it's us or someone else. I am hoping we let someone else make that mistake.

The Redskins have long been a top-heavy team that lacked depth. Yes, you need star talent to field a dominating defense. If Orakpo showed the kind of dominance you see from Terrell Suggs or a half-dozen other defensive stars, this would be a no-brainer. But in no way do I see Orakpo playing at that level.

Thoughts? I'm particularly interested to hear if a case can be made to pay him "elite" money.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 am

I would hate to see him go, but think I'm mostly in agreement with you because of the "elite money" issue. I'd like to see the team make him a solid, very competitive offer to keep him with the team that drafted him. Beat out some other teams with the signing bonus money? But I think he's a guy who we could quickly decide was overpaid if he ends up with some ridiculous new contract.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 am

But when he is on the line he disrupts plays.. but in coverage he's a huge risk. Either way though, elite $ is hard to prove.. I'm with you Bru.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 am

Would it make a difference if we change from the 3-4 back to the 4-3? Would it increase Orakpo's value and capability?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:46 am

I do not think that 'money' is going to be an issue with this franchise under the current FO ... Scheme and 'fit' will be more important .. if the FO and the OC and DC assistants feel that a player is potentially a good fit for what they need to do - the FO will make fair and competitive offers ... I doubt that we overpay anyone or that we become the place to play if you're only interested in the money

IF Orakpo wants more than he's worth, he's not 'worth' keeping ... and I think he's a force on D
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 am

I actually agree with letting him go if he's is going to demand huge money, unless we go back to a 4-3, which I believe we should. I'm a huge Orakpo fan, but he is by no means elite. I think he would be much better with his hand in the ground on every down, chasing down the QB like Robert Mathis. Ditto for Kerrigan. If I see Kerrigan trying to keep up with guys like Shady McCoy or Jamal Charles on wheel routes next year, I'm going to puke.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:55 am

Offer the man a respectable sum of money and let him choose whether to stay or go.

But, we must also realize that he and Kerrigan are equally average pass-rushers. If one is gone, the other tends to disappear, neither is an elite rusher. So, letting Orakpo go will diminish Kerrigans presence to a degree.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:03 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:But, we must also realize that he and Kerrigan are equally average pass-rushers. If one is gone, the other tends to disappear, neither is an elite rusher. So, letting Orakpo go will diminish Kerrigans presence to a degree.

That is a concern of mine. But I think Kerrigan has progressed even more since 2012 when Orakpo was out most of the year, so I'm optimistic that we don't need the $10 million solution to make him effective.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:16 am

SkinsJock wrote:IF Orakpo wants more than he's worth, he's not 'worth' keeping ... and I think he's a force on D

Well, he's "worth" whatever he can get some team to pay him. I think that's kind of what we're debating here.

Chris' comment sounds about right to me. "Offer the man a respectable sum of money and let him choose whether to stay or go."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:25 am

to me, Orakpo is not worth what he or another team thinks he's worth - he's worth what our FO thinks he's worth ...

these guys are not getting into a bidding war like Snyder used to - they will make a fair offer to all these guys - that offer will not be based on what he might get elsewhere
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
That is a concern of mine. But I think Kerrigan has progressed even more since 2012 when Orakpo was out most of the year, so I'm optimistic that we don't need the $10 million solution to make him effective.

I think Jackson can fill that gap.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 pm

I agree Rob is the better all around olb.. Raks inability to stay healthy is my main concern w paying him top salary
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm

I agree Irn and I have been thinking this way all year. You can make a case for franchise tag. That would be around 11 million but for one year and see how he does.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Franchise tag isn't a bad idea at all. I think we'll be overpaying him, but at least it's just a one-year thing with no long-term commitment. Gives us more time to work on a replacement plan, too, in case Jackson doesn't work out as a full-time starter.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Orakpo would have to add a second pass rushing move to justify big money. He could be so much better than he is.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football