Redskins will reach out to Bill Cowher

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Redskins will reach out to Bill Cowher

Postby emoses14 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:59 pm

No. No Cowher. Nope.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:08 pm

AnthonyRRedskin1995 wrote:No Cowher. He hasn't coached in years the game has likely passed him by. Give me a top-notched OC that will work with RG3 to bring out the best in him. Darrell Bevell is #1 on my last. He has done remarkable things with Russell Wilson and I feel he is a great playcaller, (Something that we are not exactly used to having around here). Then hire Greg Williams as DC and hopefully, we'll be back to the playoffs in no time!!!

I really like the idea of bringing Greg Williams back as DC, if he will take the job.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Joey T says the Redskins ought to (that's "ought" not "did") consider Todd Bowles, among others.

Hire Todd Bowles and Russ Grimm and I'll be happy.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:
AnthonyRRedskin1995 wrote:No Cowher. He hasn't coached in years the game has likely passed him by. Give me a top-notched OC that will work with RG3 to bring out the best in him. Darrell Bevell is #1 on my last. He has done remarkable things with Russell Wilson and I feel he is a great playcaller, (Something that we are not exactly used to having around here). Then hire Greg Williams as DC and hopefully, we'll be back to the playoffs in no time!!!

I really like the idea of bringing Greg Williams back as DC, if he will take the job.

Don't we all? Greg got the most out of what he had.

cappster

Postby Cappster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:55 pm

I thought GW was indefinitely suspended by the NFL?
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Cappster wrote:I thought GW was indefinitely suspended by the NFL?

Nope. Not any longer.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

More than anything else, our next HC needs to be a leader of men. He could conceivably not know a whole lot about Xs and Os or even football for that matter. As long as a good personnel guy is picking players and good autonomous O and D coordinators are in place, Cowher could be terrific as could many other great leaders of men - provided Danny keeps his nose out of all matters football that is.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 am

^^ +1 - it's not as important for the HC to be as involved as it used to be - a strong, no nonsense leader at HC is good - the OC & DC need to be great for this to work though
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:55 am

SKINS#1 wrote:I really like the idea of bringing Greg Williams back as DC, if he will take the job.

I would definitely be in favor of bringing GW back. But I have to admit I still can't imagine why he would come back here after Snyder passed him over (for Jim Zorn no less) for the head coaching job which really should have been his.

I wonder how much of the recent awfulness we could have avoided if Snyder had just hired Williams after Gibbs...?

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:26 am

riggofan wrote:
SKINS#1 wrote:I really like the idea of bringing Greg Williams back as DC, if he will take the job.

I would definitely be in favor of bringing GW back. But I have to admit I still can't imagine why he would come back here after Snyder passed him over (for Jim Zorn no less) for the head coaching job which really should have been his.

I wonder how much of the recent awfulness we could have avoided if Snyder had just hired Williams after Gibbs...?

Well, we probably would have been dragged firmly into Bountygate and been fined 20 years' worth of draft picks by Mara/Goodell.

In retrospect, I think not hiring Gregg as HC was the right move, although I was mighty mad at the time.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:37 am

that era was the beginning of the end for this franchise with Snyder as the 'owner/operator'

G. Williams would most likely have had no chance at success here either :(
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:11 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Well, we probably would have been dragged firmly into Bountygate and been fined 20 years' worth of draft picks by Mara/Goodell.

In retrospect, I think not hiring Gregg as HC was the right move, although I was mighty mad at the time.

:-k Dragged into Bountygate? That happened after Williams left the Redskins when he was d-coordinator at New Orleans. There wouldn't have been a bountygate if he had stayed in DC.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:24 pm

riggofan wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:Well, we probably would have been dragged firmly into Bountygate and been fined 20 years' worth of draft picks by Mara/Goodell.

:-k Dragged into Bountygate? That happened after Williams left the Redskins when he was d-coordinator at New Orleans. There wouldn't have been a bountygate if he had stayed in DC.

I don't think you can make that assumption. What safeguards would have been in place in DC, that didn't exist in New Orleans?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:52 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
riggofan wrote:

I don't think you can make that assumption. What safeguards would have been in place in DC, that didn't exist in New Orleans?

You're making a different argument. We couldn't have been "dragged firmly into bountygate", because it definitively never could have happened if Williams had stayed in DC.

Bountygate was "an incident in which several defensive players on the National Football League's New Orleans Saints were accused of operating a slush fund that paid out bonuses, or "bounties", for in-game performance in violation of NFL rules. The pool was alleged to have been in operation from 2009 (the year in which the Saints won Super Bowl XLIV) to 2011. Among other things, Saints players allegedly earned bonuses for inflicting injuries on opposing players that forced them to leave games; however, none of the hits in question were ever penalized or deemed illegal by in-game officials."

If you want to argue that GW might have done the same thing as head coach of the Redskins, that's a possibility. But even if that was true, "Bountygate" was only ever revealed because one of the Saints def. assistants was pissed that he got fired and blew the whistle on the whole thing.

I'm just pointing out this was all pretty specific to the situation in New Orleans. I don't agree at all that it was all likely to have played out the same way if Williams had stayed here.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

My initial post was somewhat tongue in cheek, intended more as a dig at Mara/Goodell (yes, I'm still bitter) than at GW You're right: the situation in New Orleans was the result of a specific set of circumstances which probably would not have been replicated, had GW stayed in DC. But that doesn't guarantee that a similar bounty arrangement would not have been created and later exposed in Washington.

But we're arguing semantics here - I'll happily concede that use of the word "probably" was an error, and willingly replace it with "possibly" ;-)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football