What if Gibbs had this team in 2004-07?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

What if Gibbs had this team in 2004-07?

Postby AldersonSkinsFan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:05 pm

All season I've been stressed to the max between blowout losses, terrible play calling, and just the same old redskins. This team had more talent this year than any other season I've watched over the last 18 years. Then it dawned on me. If Gibbs had this team back in 2004 when he came back how good could we have been?

- Gibbs instead of guys like Brunell and Campbell would have RG3 and Cousins. Two young QBs for a coach who could take QBs and get the best out of them.

- Instead of having CP (who was pretty damn good) we would have a back that imo fits his system alot better in Morris.

- Gregg Williams could have a fierce pass rushing combo of Orakpo and Kerrigan to unleash on the league.

I honestly believe in 4 seasons Gibbs could have taken this talent to a Super Bowl.

These are just some of the reasons why I wish we could change time and make some things different. Maybe its b/c the New Year is coming up but it seems like to me if we can build something in Washington coaching staff wise that we had in 2004 we could turn this ship around. We need a coach that takes an extreme talent like Morris and makes him the focal point of the offense. Once we truly setup the running game we can take guys like Garcon and Reed and unleash them on this league.

(First thread dont bash me too hard.)

|||||||

Re: What if Gibbs had this team in 2004-07?

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Interesting question actually. Trouble is, if Gibbs and Bugel had THIS offensive line, I seriously think they would simply have killed themselves.

The fact is that the shadow of Gibbs will hang over this franchise until such time as somebody worthy of comparison comes along.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:48 pm

AldersonSkinsFan wrote:All season I've been stressed to the max between blowout losses, terrible play calling, and just the same old redskins. This team had more talent this year than any other season I've watched over the last 18 years. Then it dawned on me. If Gibbs had this team back in 2004 when he came back how good could we have been?

- Gibbs instead of guys like Brunell and Campbell would have RG3 and Cousins. Two young QBs for a coach who could take QBs and get the best out of them.

- Instead of having CP (who was pretty damn good) we would have a back that imo fits his system alot better in Morris.

- Gregg Williams could have a fierce pass rushing combo of Orakpo and Kerrigan to unleash on the league.

I honestly believe in 4 seasons Gibbs could have taken this talent to a Super Bowl.

These are just some of the reasons why I wish we could change time and make some things different. Maybe its b/c the New Year is coming up but it seems like to me if we can build something in Washington coaching staff wise that we had in 2004 we could turn this ship around. We need a coach that takes an extreme talent like Morris and makes him the focal point of the offense. Once we truly setup the running game we can take guys like Garcon and Reed and unleash them on this league.

(First thread dont bash me too hard.)

Nice thread! Good to have you with us!

I think Gibbs was great, but after listening to others on this board, I think his best days may have already come and gone. However, I will say that he always had a great team of coaches around him; depending on the OC, it might turn out great.

As much as I hate to say it, I think we need to let Gibbs rest from his football life. Easy to view him as our "fixer", but we need to find the next Joe Gibbs. That's why I'm worried about us trying to resurrect older coaches, but there's plenty of issue with bringing in someone who hasn't been fully proven.

I think we need a short term, and long term coaching plan:

1. Short term - bring in/maybe resurrect a coaching legend
2. Long term - bring in a gifted mind who's new to the scene to learn under this veteran coach

Sounds like Mike & Kyle right? Sure, that, but a better team of coaches...I agree with B. Mitch when he said MS came in with his own agenda of promoting his son.

Last year there was a lot of talk about Kyle taking over once his dad retires. Seemed like a perfect plan of succession, but the personnel didn't work out. I do believe the philosophy of succession will ensure ongoing success for us.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Interesting question actually. Trouble is, if Gibbs and Bugel had THIS offensive line, I seriously think they would simply have killed themselves.

The fact is that the shadow of Gibbs will hang over this franchise until such time as somebody worthy of comparison comes along.

+1 and the leaks and talkin heads on the team would have ceased. Someone might say something alright, but it wouldn't even last past 2 weeks max.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:21 am

Neo: I don't think anybody was suggesting another return of Joe Gibbs. It's a hypothetical discussion about what Gibbs might have achieved with this roster.

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:50 am

Gibbs proved you don't need a superstar QB to win the Super bowl.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:52 am

Could have been a wash. QB and WR were bigger weaknesses, but Gibbs had a much better OL and defense. It would be a fun thing to simulate, though, if we could.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Neo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:28 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:Neo: I don't think anybody was suggesting another return of Joe Gibbs. It's a hypothetical discussion about what Gibbs might have achieved with this roster.

Thanks for the correction. Got a little caught up in the "next HC" discussions :)
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:14 am

Neo wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:Neo: I don't think anybody was suggesting another return of Joe Gibbs. It's a hypothetical discussion about what Gibbs might have achieved with this roster.

Thanks for the correction. Got a little caught up in the "next HC" discussions :)

I'm sure we're all quite giddy with the excitement of it all ;-)

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:50 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Could have been a wash. QB and WR were bigger weaknesses, but Gibbs had a much better OL and defense. It would be a fun thing to simulate, though, if we could.

One thing, though... Gibbs would definitively NOT have gone into the season with THIS offensive line. Gibbs NEVER would have accepted this. The OLine was the foundation of every team... can anyone see the 2013 version as the result of his work? Nope... would not happen.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Could have been a wash. QB and WR were bigger weaknesses, but Gibbs had a much better OL and defense. It would be a fun thing to simulate, though, if we could.

One thing, though... Gibbs would definitively NOT have gone into the season with THIS offensive line. Gibbs NEVER would have accepted this. The OLine was the foundation of every team... can anyone see the 2013 version as the result of his work? Nope... would not happen.

I would be shocked if any coach came in here and kept anyone to the right of Trent as a starter.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I would be shocked if any coach came in here and kept anyone to the right of Trent as a starter.

ha! You may be right on that.

It bums me out too, thinking about these OL guys that Shanahan drafted the past few years. Are they all going to have been completely wasted picks? That's a real back breaker if so.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:09 pm

Countertrey wrote:

Trying to remember: I think Gibbs and Bugel kept only George Starke from the previous OL starters. Bostic might have been a reserve, but the Gibbs coaching group found a new OL. Grimm and May were draft choices, and good ones, but the world of "experts" mostly poked fun at the Joe Gibbs approach to the OL.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:30 pm

riggofan wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:I would be shocked if any coach came in here and kept anyone to the right of Trent as a starter.

ha! You may be right on that.

It bums me out too, thinking about these OL guys that Shanahan drafted the past few years. Are they all going to have been completely wasted picks? That's a real back breaker if so.

Some of those guys might still pan out. Those starters have had plenty of chances though.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:42 pm

This hypothetical is wayyy out there. Tough to figure out.

Like someone said, Gibbs's best days had past him, but he hired smart people at a bunch of spots. After the first year where everyone could see the offense was a disaster he beefed up the staff by hiring Bill Musgraves and then hired Al Saunders a year later.

His second tenure was a success. Two playoff appearances is nothing to fuss about.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football